Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Land disease

• 24-02-2012 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Good evening, read this in the newspaper earlier today and said I'd throw it up to see what people thought. I'm surprised that it hadn't been posted previously.
    THE heartbroken wife of a man who shot his brother-in-law dead before he hanged himself will wake the two men's bodies side-by-side.

Grief-stricken Hilda Jordan was making funeral arrangements yesterday for her husband Michael Jordan (51) and her brother, George Rothwell (71).

Both men had been involved in a dramatic exchange of gunfire after a disagreement over farmland before Mr Rothwell was shot in the upper body at his home at Ballycormac near Bagenalstown, Co Carlow.

Deputy State Pathologist Dr Michael Curtis conducted post-mortem examinations on the bodies of the two men yesterday.

The examinations revealed Mr Rothwell had been shot at least four times -- one of the gunshot wounds to his upper body was fatal.

Mr Jordan received no gunshot wounds but died from asphyxiation due to hanging.

It is thought that Mr Rothwell tried to defend himself by firing back at his brother-in-law. Ballistic experts are resuming their investigations at Ballycormac House today.

A firearm was recovered by gardai shortly after they discovered Mr Rothwell's body in the living area of his home early on Wednesday morning.

Emergency services had been alerted to trouble at the large farm belonging to George Rothwell after a neighbour called 999 when he saw plumes of smoke coming from sheds at the side of the property.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/wife-will-wake-murdersuicide-husband-and-brother-together-3030578.html

It doesn't say it in this article but I read in the newspaper that allegedly Jordan shot Rothwell because he wouldn't let him build a house on his land. It was a despicable act that Jordan carried out and he's now ruined his wifes life over a bit of land.

If Jordan really wanted to build a house there couldn't he have waited for Rothwell to die? There can't have been many more years left in him and it wouldn't have fucked up his wifes life.

ids

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

A shooting over land... that absolutely never happens... madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

You should get a job writing headlines for the Daily Mail.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

RichieC wrote: »
    A shooting over land... that absolutely never happens... madness.
    It would make a good play perhaps. It could even make it on to the Junior Cert syllabus someday.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

There is a thread about this on Carlow boards.I don't think it's a subject we can speculate on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Gee Bag

Go back to America Yank!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Land disputes don't drive people to commit murder and then hang themselves.. madness does.

It's pointless to speculate on what could have tipped the guy over the edge. He obviously wasn't stable to begin with considering how he reacted to whatever it was that drove him to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

*THE FIELD IS MINE!*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Lesson here is don't shoot someone if you're pissed off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Worst thread title ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Shotguns have been in the headlines this week

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

The-Rigger wrote: »
    You should get a job writing headlines for the Daily Mail.
    Worst thread title ever.

What's wrong with the title?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

idunnoshur wrote: »
    What's wrong with the title?

Land disease could mean anything. It relates in no way to the tragedy that occurred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭idunnoshur

Land disease could mean anything. It relates in no way to the tragedy that occurred.

What else could it mean? According to my old man it's an insatiable desire for more land so I think it suits the article perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bergheim

Hot headed people involved in land disputes can be dangerous. It sounds to me that these people had problems to think clear and rational

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

idunnoshur wrote: »
    What else could it mean? According to my old man it's an insatiable desire for more land so I think it suits the article perfectly.

Basically, its GREED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

If the OP really wanted to be sensationalist, he would have gone with....

'Michael Jordan shoots bother-in-law then hangs himself'!

That would have got a few punters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Dammit! I thought it was the tater blight again. I was making plans to head for Americky to escape the hunger.

Phew.

Advertisement