Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

From cot to bed

Options
  • 24-02-2012 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

How soon can you move your toddler to a bed??

My son is 15months almost and is waking himself up a few times a night rolling over and hitting the railings of the cot. He is a pretty good sleeper most of the time, but lately waking up a lot crying. He moves a lot.
    Would moving him to a bed stop all this?:confused:

Any suggestions??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

same issue with my 13 month old,
    Putting her in the travel cot helps alot but in a few months she can go in to a toddler bed.
    I have thought of giving her a matttress on the floor too.

My big girl didn't need a bed until around her 2nd birthday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

My 3 year old is still in her cot. Shes in the 97th percentile for height but very comfy. The bed has been sitting in her room for a year. I have been waiting for Her to climb out or something. Anyways we're on hols next week and she'll be in a bed and the cot will be dismantled while we are away. Keep them in there as long as possible as it's a lovely safe baby jail. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭Rosy Posy

If he's moving around this much in his cot chances are if you put him into a big boy bed he'll be waking himself up falling on the floor! You could try a mattress on the floor or a very low bed- my kids went from a cot into a bed shaped like a boat- low with small sides to stop them from falling out-http://www.alpacadream.co.nz/p/dream-boats.html but beware, once he's out of the cot he may take it on himself to do some nocturnal wandering.

I think I've changed my mind. She can stay in the cot until she's 18. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

Could you put some extra padding around the cot?

When our little lady was in her cot we used to have 2 bumpers on it. Mostly because I was paranoid about drafts but I'm sure it helped as a soft cushiony surface for her to roll into at night too!

We did move her into a bed at 17 months and there was no problems in the change over. She actually slept better than ever when she first went into the bed.

She will get out of bed sometimes, but mostly she will wake up and call me.

Also to stop her falling out we have dream tubes
    http://www.duskymoon.com/products-2/dream-tubes/dream-tubes-product-details/
    We have the bed against a wall though so we only use one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

My son is 2 and 4 months and is still in his cot. Only realised the cot can be turned into a cotbed-type thing but it doesn't look great http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/80108662/
    Think I might be better off just getting him his own little bed. What do people think?

Ziggy- that is one ugly cotbed!;)I got Bridget this fabulous ikea day bed when she turned two. They don't sell it anymore which is a shame as its gorgeous!
    http://www.polyvore.com/tromsnes_day_bed_from_ikea/thing?id=48835870#cshttp://www.polyvore.com/tromsnes_day_bed_from_ikea/thing?id=48835870#cs

Someday when she gets parole she will be in lavish surroundings. :D:D:D

You can get waterbased paints and give the cot a makeover though, I did it with chest of drawers and was able to buy a few sample pots in b&q and they did the job! Lovely pastel colours over wood. Costs less than a tenner and Much more toddlery:D

Grawns wrote: »
    Ziggy- that is one ugly cotbed!;)I got Bridget this fabulous ikea day bed when she turned two. They don't sell it anymore which is a shame as its gorgeous!
    http://www.polyvore.com/tromsnes_day_bed_from_ikea/thing?id=48835870#cshttp://www.polyvore.com/tromsnes_day_bed_from_ikea/thing?id=48835870#cs

Someday when she gets parole she will be in lavish surroundings. :D:D:D

You can get waterbased paints and give the cot a makeover though, I did it with chest of drawers and was able to buy a few sample pots in b&q and they did the job! Lovely pastel colours over wood. Costs less than a tenner and Much more toddlery:D

Yea I know I didn't realise til recently it turned into a cotbed:o Thats a great idea but might get him a little bed think it could do him good:) The ones in Ikea are fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm wondering about this too - my wee man is 21 months and hasn't escaped yet, but watching him the other morning, I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Number two is due at the end of April, so I'm going to get him moving soon.
    He goes to bed at night no bother, so I'm hoping that just setting the bed up in the room will spark his curiosity to get into it. I reckon toddler beds are a waste of money so am looking at a proper single bed that will do him 'til he's ten!

The thing is - all the bed frames I've seen have been very plain pine ones. The only one I've seen that I like is this one from Arg*s, but they're out of stock, there's a €20 delivery charge and I still have to get a mattress! Does anyone have suggestions of where to get a nice sleigh-style single bed?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

We put our lad into a bed at 12 months as we couldn't get him to sleep in the cot. He slept great for a while but then he started getting out of the bed and crawling into our room crying. This was followed by him walking into our room crying finally followed by him walking into our room and climbing into bed with us.

He's now 20 months old and in our bed almost every night so I would say leave them in the cot for as long as you can!

• Advertisement

Ballyman wrote: »
    We put our lad into a bed at 12 months as we couldn't get him to sleep in the cot. He slept great for a while but then he started getting out of the bed and crawling into our room crying. This was followed by him walking into our room crying finally followed by him walking into our room and climbing into bed with us.

He's now 20 months old and in our bed almost every night so I would say leave them in the cot for as long as you can!

I often have to bring Sean into my bed too so I mean at least it saves me lifting him out and bringing him in...haha how selfish:o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I put the older girl in to a normal bed and just bought one of the sides for it.

I had really hoped number 2 would have arrived by now and eviction was always planned:( but no sign so she can stay in her cot forever. Seriously - the peace Of mind in knowing she's safe and secure. She honestly could step out <97 percentile for height but loves her cot And has never tried. We stopped napping her at 2 as she didn't need it so when she goes to bed 7pm on the dot she is happy to go:) comfy and cosy to quote her cot based highness!

Do you put nappies on her going to bed? or does she just call you?
    I could not imagine my 3 year old in a cot but it would be lovely some nights:)

Nappies still but that's a whole other story;)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 ballycart

Ok he is staying in his cot.

Have to get the bumpers and try this. Hopefully he wont wake as much with these. Crazy cat lady- never heard of the dream tubes. Looked them up, good idea.

Ballyman - I couldn't handle him in our bed. He normally comes in if he is ill and so found out first hand just how much he moves, its crazy.

Hopefully it will soon be sorted. One nights sleep would be nice though:o
    It is the safest place for him for sure with all the moving about he does.

Cheers for the info:)

ballycart wrote: »
    Ok he is staying in his cot.

Have to get the bumpers and try this. Hopefully he wont wake as much with these. Crazy cat lady- never heard of the dream tubes. Looked them up, good idea.

Ballyman - I couldn't handle him in our bed. He normally comes in if he is ill and so found out first hand just how much he moves, its crazy.

Hopefully it will soon be sorted. One nights sleep would be nice though:o
    It is the safest place for him for sure with all the moving about he does.

Cheers for the info:)

Ballycart, Ikea also do these bumpers that go all the way round the cot http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/90129904/ but correct me if I'm wrong I think they are only for younger babies. I took them off when my son was able to sit up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

ziggy23 wrote: »
    My son is 2 and 4 months and is still in his cot. Only realised the cot can be turned into a cotbed-type thing but it doesn't look great http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/catalog/products/80108662/
    Think I might be better off just getting him his own little bed. What do people think?

I think you should use the cotbed, I mean why buy a new bed when you already have the cot-bed?

Our little one is two & a half and we have a nearly identical cotbed to yourselves. We will convert it into to 'bed mode' when our child is three.

LordSutch wrote: »
    I think you should use the cotbed, I mean why buy a new bed when you already have the cot-bed?

Our little one is two & a half and we have a nearly identical cotbed to yourselves. We will convert it into to 'bed mode' when our child is three.

yea I know what u mean. How long do toddler beds last anyway and when would a child be able to use a normal single bed? We have a single bed in his room anyway.

Depends on the child but most 2 year olds are well old enough for their own bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We had this problem from about 6 months on with a very active sleeper. She was in a sleeping bag, but still managed to get her arms stuck in the sides of the cot, or bash her head in the corners.

We went through piles of different bumpers that all seem to be mainly decorative with daft ribbon ties before we found a thick one that she couldn't pull off herself. It's the jolly-day-out bumper made by grobag. It goes under the mattress, and velcros onto the sides. You can get them online or I think Tony Kealys have them. For us it needed one more velcro bit on the end section (it only has them on the sides) but I stitched one on myself and it's grand now.

Flaming expensive though. Maybe if you are nifty with a sewing machine you can russle one up!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Claire de Lune

Hi Ziggy,

We have the exact same cot as you, bought in Ikea. We recently removed the rails for our 30 month old son as he was climbing out! We added this bed rail

He's happy enough for now!

I thought about toddler beds too for a while, be we won't bother. We have a proper bed in his room and we intend to move him into it with a bigger bed rail when he grows out of the cot, probably this summer

Hi Ziggy,

We have the exact same cot as you, bought in Ikea. We recently removed the rails for our 30 month old son as he was climbing out! We added this bed rail

He's happy enough for now!

I thought about toddler beds too for a while, be we won't bother. We have a proper bed in his room and we intend to move him into it with a bigger bed rail when he grows out of the cot, probably this summer

Hi Claire
    Thanks for the reply. So you just took one side of it and put that rail on? Yea my fella is 28 months.

Hi Claire
    Thanks for the reply. So you just took one side of it and put that rail on? Yea my fella is 28 months.

yes, that's exactly what we did, removed the rails, added that piece that came with the cot at the bottom and attached the rail to it

yes, that's exactly what we did, removed the rails, added that piece that came with the cot at the bottom and attached the rail to it

Brilliant might give that a go:) Is your fella able to get in and out with the rail on?

Brilliant might give that a go:) Is your fella able to get in and out with the rail on?

Oh yes he is!! We had to put a baby gate at his door to keep him in his room but that's a different thread altogether! :rolleyes:

Advertisement