Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Moving to Canada

Options
  • 24-02-2012 10:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

hi all thinking about moving to canada full time with my wife and 2 kids,i am a plumbing & heating contractor and my wife is a medical secretary,what steps do we need to take to make this happen, all suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

hi all thinking about moving to canada full time with my wife and 2 kids,i am a plumbing & heating contractor and my wife is a medical secretary,what steps do we need to take to make this happen, all suggestions appreciated.

All in here mate. Clicky Me

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

Typical,the trade I have is not on their list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

hiscan wrote: »
    Typical,the trade I have is not on their list :(

I haven't had time to really look at the link but you may be looking at the list of occupations for Federal Skilled worker and seeing that your occupation isn't there. The jobs on this list are the most in demand occupations in Canada but there are many other jobs in demand but not as high priority as these ones.

If you are a Plumber / Pipefitter/ Gasfitter you would be able to come to Canada with a job offer.
    The company hiring you would get an LMO for you which is basically a document that says they tried to get a Canadian to do the same job and were unable to do so. You can then get a work permit which is valid for 1 year.
    Every year until you get your Permanent residency you go through the same process of LMO and work Permit.

Finding an employer is the hard bit. But it shouldn't be too hard. I was told last week that there are a number of companies from Saskatoon (in Saskatchewan) that were going to Ireland to hire tradesmen for upcoming construction projects.

I am guessing that they are coming to some of the careers fairs / expos that are going on.
    I heard some negative comments about the expos. I wouldn't hold out much hope if it's just a recruitment agent there, but if there are representatives from companies it would be worthwhile talking to them.

In general western Canada is where you should look towards; Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia. This is where all the work is happening.

The cities in the far North are generally where it's all happening workwise. Fort McMurray, Dawson, Grand Prairie are some examples. Other cities like Edmonton, Calgary, Saskatoon etc have less work going on but are still relatively busy.

If you want to ask me about construction work in these areas shoot me a PM and i'll try and help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

But then again did you see the RTE story about loads of construction needed in BC?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

My Job is there am seriously considering it..very early days into the research.
    Would folks recommend the use of these migration experts or go it alone?
    Obviously there are cost implications to being lazy and using the migration experts but are there other benefits that one might consider employing them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 tony53

Hi
    Im an electrical contractor thinking of heading to Canada also, I have a wife and 4 kids also , so its a complete family move.
    How did you get on ?
    Appreciate any help or advice
    T

Advertisement