Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bar Food Gross Profit

Options
  • 24-02-2012 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Hey Guys

just a question for any one in the know, what should a kitchen be aiming for, for a good GP% in a bar with usual bar food such as carvery during the day and a later night time menu including steaks and pasta dishes, just looking to see if there is a general % that should be achieved

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭YellowSheep

Hi Santan

It should be between 28% to 30% but this all depends on what you are trying to sell and your sales mix. The most important is however, to have the tools and systems to control and accurately monitor your costs.
    If you need a hand with doing so, please feel free to PM me.

Regards Oliver

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Its the other way around. 60%+ gp is where you are aiming.
    A 72% gp would be very high.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Alan Shore

I'm with Bicky on this one. Gross profit on food should be around 65%.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭knotknowbody

Alan Shore wrote: »
    I'm with Bicky on this one. Gross profit on food should be around 65%.

Agreed, most places I know of aim for between 60% and 68%, should definitely be no lower than 55% to be viable, would need to be extremely efficiently ran to be sustainable and worthwhile at 55% though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

70% is achievable if your on the ball

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Santan

Thanks Guys, we are getting about 58% every month but this year so far getting it to climb to about 63%, but not easy and had been told by another chef that it should be 72% +, which got me thinking of what are we doing so wrong, and how can we correct it, but just looking to get some info on what the norm is for gp%, but the aim now is 67% for march.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

Can I ask how much you charge for lasagne/steak? Or some similar items.
    Do you buy everything in or do you prepare ingredients from scratch?

Our lasagne is €9.50 and a sirlion steak is 9.50 roast turkey and ham carvery is 9.50 most of our dishes are coming in at around that price

yeah everthing is made from scratch

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭smeharg

Santan wrote: »
    Our lasagne is €9.50 and a sirlion steak is 9.50 roast turkey and ham carvery is 9.50 most of our dishes are coming in at around that price

How are you setting your prices? As a consumer I'd expect to pay more for a steak than for a lasagne.

I think you need to look at your margins and pricing on individual dishes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement