Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

traffic in castlemartyr

Options
  • 24-02-2012 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭

Thinking of moving there. Working in little island wondering what the traffic is like typically and how long it takes to travel between the two.
    Would be in work at 8/8:30 and leaving work at 5/5:30 pm. Anyone have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭gustafo

Tis a busy road but traffic is usually grand, give yourself about 30 minutes to get to little island from there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Dunno about 8:8:30, but you'll definitely be held up for 10 minutes on your way home. Traffic backs way up at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭minterno

I realise this thread is a few weeks old but for your info,the morning traffic is heavy but moves fast and barring a traffic accident you should get to the island in 25 mins,about the same in the evenings although you will have a a backlog in the village on the way home which lasts 10 mins some times but its normally 5 or 6 mins of a wait,im from the village and used to use the backroad if the traffic is backed up but its hardly worth the bother as you you will lose the 5 minutes with the extra distance.regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 eastieC

Yeah, what minterno said, only bottlenecks are the bridge at the village and the roundabout in Midleton, but the roundabout only really towards school time when alot of buses are heading to the schools

Uh, the bottleneck at the bridge often backs traffic out as far as the woods the other side of the village. It doesn't take a huge amount of time, but it's still 10-15 minutes gone out of your day, every day; assuming you hit it at rush hour every day, on bad days. (Thank god I don't.) It has improved a little with the recession though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

dahamsta wrote: »
    Uh, the bottleneck at the bridge often backs traffic out as far as the woods the other side of the village. It doesn't take a huge amount of time, but it's still 10-15 minutes gone out of your day, every day; assuming you hit it at rush hour every day, on bad days. (Thank god I don't.) It has improved a little with the recession though.

They could do with leaving the filter light on at the bridge 30 secs longer to clear the traffic going eastwards and over the bridge.

Cars coming out from Centra also add to the issue (not their fault), I had a guy one day (heading east in the evening) stop to leave a car out but the traffic heading west was moving freely and had no intention of leaving them out so the guy in front of me waited until there was a break in the west bound traffic, seemed like ages but was probably only a minute. A noble gesture but he should at least be aware of the other traffic around him.

The muppets parking on the left before and ay Centra on the Cork side are a pain in the hole too. Why they didn't put the double-yellows back after the street lights screw-up is beyond me.

Christ, I'm so /local/ these days.

Just wanted to bump this thread.

Lights off in Castlemartyr today, passed through about ten to five towards Youghal, sailed through, no delays. Looked left and right crossing over the bridge, no traffic from the left, one car waiting on the other side to turn right.

Is there a reason the traffic lights are off or are they experimenting with them to see if the traffic will flow easier?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Roanmore wrote: »
    Just wanted to bump this thread.

Lights off in Castlemartyr today, passed through about ten to five towards Youghal, sailed through, no delays. Looked left and right crossing over the bridge, no traffic from the left, one car waiting on the other side to turn right.

Is there a reason the traffic lights are off or are they experimenting with them to see if the traffic will flow easier?

The traffic definetly flows better when the lights are off but I think they put them there in the first place cos there was a few acccidents in a relatively short space of time at the junction.

Traffic'd flow even better still if they put the double yellows back outside Centra. The people that park outside there are so lazy I'm surprised they even get out of their cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Traffic'd flow even better still if they put the double yellows back outside Centra. The people that park outside there are so lazy I'm surprised they even get out of their cars.

I thought the yellow lines were still there? Anyway, people used to double park on the lines anyway. What pisses me off even more is poeple who double park on the roadway leading into the car park :mad:. Loads of spaces free but god forbid they'd have to walk 10 yards to the shop. Muppets.

They put double-yellows down when they first laid the road, but then aforethought kicked in and the lighting lads came along and dug it up again. The double-yellows didn't go back down afterwards. They definitely had some effect when they were there.

Yes, the people parking on the double-yellows in the entranceway drive me demented too. It's pathetic behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Traffic isn't a problem is you turn left before Castlemaryr and going via Mogeely. Then Mogeely to Castelmartyr, or go straight to Killeagh if heading to Youghal/Dunarvan.

That road is fine as far as the crossroads, at which point it turns into a boneshaker, even in a bog standard old 520i on big fat tyres. Driving it in something sporty is great fun for the first half and forking terrifying for the second. The stretch from Mogeely to Killeagh isn't much better, and you're as likely as not to get behind a crawler at some stage on the journey.

I make a snap decision about taking it as soon as the Two Mile comes into sight, but there's an awful lot of variables involved!

That road is fine as far as the crossroads, at which point it turns into a boneshaker, QUOTE]

It's a joke and the Council have given up even trying to fix it, just putting cones down instead. I've lost count the amount of times this road has been dug us in the years I've been going through it.

Left work early yesterday so got a nice run until I hit the lights, no cars going straight on, 2 in the lane turning right. Great, says I straight through, nope, somebody from the Village Greengrocer carpark had other ideas. Pulled out as I was approaching and parked across the 2 lane yellow box,they were turning right blocked off the traffic going east. Not the first time it happened either. I know it's not a huge thing and was only held up for less than a minute but you can see why traffice builds up there (rant over, sorry).

Sorry for ressurecting this thread but what the hell is up with the traffic lights in Castlemartyr.
    In the last 2 weeks, the sequence of the traffic lights has changed. Now during one full sequence the pedestrian lights come on every time even when the button has not been pressed and nobody is present.
    In the morning time the traffic flow east / west and west / east is stopped for no reason whist the green man comes on.. This is not too bad in the morning but it has made the evening traffic worse.
    Is there a reason the pedestrian light has been automatically put into the sequence, what was wrong with the previous situation where the light only came on when the button was pressed?

Advertisement