Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to cook a Leg of Goat?

Options
  • 24-02-2012 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭

Any ideas? My mum picked up a leg of goat in a butchers today on a whim. But we've no idea how to cook it.

The Butcher said that it was like lamb so should we just follow a lamb recipe? Or Mutton?

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 loadsofham

Cook it slow and long, not as tender as lamb so best for stews and curry and cooked well done as opposed to pink lamb

Would love to buy some, where s he butchers or anyone tell me where I can buy goat meat

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It depends whether it is kid or an adult goat.
    For kid - treat like lamb & roast it.
    If it is an adult goat leg - I'd think about a stew/casserole/curry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

Anyway of telling whether it is kid or adult goat? I've literally no idea and the butcher was never asked. It was about six quid for the leg.

I'll find out what butcher it was and post it tomorrow.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Anyway of telling whether it is kid or adult goat? I've literally no idea and the butcher was never asked. It was about six quid for the leg.

I'll find out what butcher it was and post it tomorrow.

I'd say it's adult, unless it was sold as kid. You can tell by the size though, is it bigger than a leg of lamb?

As the others said, curry or stew.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

I'll try and find a curry recipe so. For anyone wondering, it was bought in Buckleys on Moore St.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

OldGoat has a recipe in his signature

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

If its an adult just toast it at a low heat (140ish) for about 5-6 hours and you'll get a great piece of soft moist meat at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Slow roasting (4 hours @ 130C) would save you from having to take the meat off the bone to stew/curry it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Would it fit in a slow cooker? I'd love to find some goat met to try in mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Elvalamont

If you're going to break the veg, nothing better then a bite of goat! It will make a way better story then a hamburger :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement