Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liberty Hall to be demolished

• 24-02-2012 11:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

Dublin's Liberty Hall, HQ of SIPTU and eye-sore extrordinaire is to demolished. What say you?
    Obviously is fugly but it's a landmark I've grown up with and I'm kinda sad to see the old girl taken down.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Thank god, hopefully it will be replaced with something which doesnt make my eyes puke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Arnold Layne

I don't care as long as Jack O'Connor, David Begg and their cabal are inside when it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

Take that ... unions!! Muhahahaha!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Delighted. Absolute eyesore of a building

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Has this actually been decided? Because about every six months it's apparently being taken down.

I've hated it for years, but I'm becoming kinda fond of the old girl now for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

I hope Jack is off on a junket trip that day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

To build a bigger one, ohh the unions so with the workers...

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭veritable

Would be good if old beardy was inside!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Juwwi

The union wont allow it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Horrible looking building. Somebody paint over The Pint as well, the yellow's absolutely terrible.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Glad to see the back of it.
    One ugly miss-mash of a building that must have been designed by a person while on a huge drink bender!
    Maybe they designed it as a bet of what was the worst thing they could come up with, at the time!
    One ugly dogs bollocks of an eye sore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I heard this was being demolished years ago, I'll believe it when I (can't) see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

Awful old structure, like an old block of flats, uninspiring & well past its sell by date.

Looking 4ward to the repalcement building, very nice looking > http://two.archiseek.com/wp-content/gallery/news-2009/dublin-lh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

LordSutch wrote: »
    Awful old structure, like an old block of flats, uninspiring & well past its sell by date.

Looking 4ward to the repalcement building, very nice looking > http://two.archiseek.com/wp-content/gallery/news-2009/dublin-lh.jpg

looks good is it taller?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

That looks like a reclad? And who is paying for this new building? The Unions?

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭DEVEREUX

Good riddance, hopefully when they knock it busaras will get destroyed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭df1985

An bord pleanala will just overturn Dublin city councils decision to allow the new taller building-always happens.

Everytime anything remotely tall got apporved during the boom an bord pleanala overturned it-dublin needs a skyline, not 6 story blocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Is the SIPTU slush fund paying for that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

John Doe1 wrote: »
    looks good is it taller?
    Yea a lot taller. I forget how many more stories exactly. I'm sure it won't go ahead though if an bord pleanála have anything so say about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Sure the building is being replaced by something even taller which presumably An Bord Pleanala feels is in keeping with surrounding skyline!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

SIPTU looking after their developer friends/construction industry cronies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

BOARDS "Shushhh"
    Mods erase this thread, the plan is, the overpaid beards and the rest of the union industry were to be at a meeting there about forming a inion for the union industry. Then Kaboom Ireland gets rid of an eyesore with all the earsores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,018 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I don't care as long as Jack O'Connor, David Begg and their cabal are inside when it happens.

Oh come off it, he's not that bad :D

SIPTU looking after their developer friends/construction industry cronies?

T'would be ironic if they got in a nordie contractor because they could do it cheaper as they don't have to pay the workers the union rate. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'd say the city planners are counting the days till Liberty Hall is pulled down so they can **** all over every plan that crosses their desk to build anything over 5 storeys and keep the city lower than the liffey at high tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,239 ✭✭✭✭KeithAFC

About time I suppose. Horrible history.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

I quite like it actually. I know that's not a popular opinion but I do like it. I can't even pinpoint why, I know it's ugly.

Someone else mentioned Busaras though, I will defend that one to the death. Horrible to be in from a waiting-ages-for-a-bus point of view but architecturally it's a great early example of the International Style in Dublin.

I quite like it actually. I know that's not a popular opinion but I do like it. I can't even pinpoint why, I know it's ugly.

Someone else mentioned Busaras though, I will defend that one to the death. Horrible to be in from a waiting-ages-for-a-bus point of view but architecturally it's a great early example of the International Style in Dublin.

I like Busaras as well, from the outside, but I never thought they got it right on the inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭mysteries1984

44leto wrote: »
    I like Busaras as well, from the outside, but I never thought they got it right on the inside.

Really? I always loved the inside too, especially the mosaics and light in the concourse area.

Having said that, downstairs does leave a lot to be desired. It hasn't aged well.

• Advertisement

Really? I always loved the inside too, especially the mosaics and light in the concourse area.

Having said that, downstairs does leave a lot to be desired. It hasn't aged well.

Maybe that is what I don't like, it probably looked modern in the 70s now it looks dated, it looks darkly or dirty brown.

Architecturally its a weird area, a kind of collage from Connelly station, the IFSC, the custom house, the aqueduct railway bridge, Bachelor street and Busaras, it all fits together because it shouldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

DEVEREUX wrote: »
    Good riddance, hopefully when they knock it busaras will get destroyed too.

Excellent. Why not blow up connolly station, dublin ferryport and the airport while you are at it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should build the new one half way between Dublin and the Isle of Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Father Damo

I dont mind it at all. Dublin is probably the only capital in the western world without a few skyscrapers (and by international standards this and the Heineken building barely rate as skyscrapers anyway). Its not a bad looking building.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Put an airliner in it, if one can fly low enough..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Dey tuk our freedum
    Excellent. Why not blow up connolly station, dublin ferryport and the airport while you are at it?

Well that's just terrorism

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Liberty Hall, or.....Liberty FALL?!
    Amirite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

If they left it like this every night with a few tunes it'd be cool!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

ardinn wrote: »

Yeah lights are pretty cool
    Like a massive Rave House? David Begg and Co. banging out the tunes till all hours

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

its like a crap bond villans hideout...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Even if it's used for an even bigger beardy fest it'll be worth it to get rid of it. Jesus it's a disgusting building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

I reckon it was a 'job-lot' built along with the Ballymun flats, probably has a smell of stale wee in the lifts too :))

Knock the old one down & build the new sexy tower, with the observation deck at the top - how cool is that!

New Liberty Hall . . .
    "Designed by Gilroy McMahon Architects, who were also responsible for Croke Park, the proposed facilities include a 300-seat theatre
    at lower ground level. The design proposes a four-storey heritage centre at the top of the building and a public 'skydeck', to be
    reached by glass lift. A 'double height' public entrance area, a theatre and conference centre, are also part of the plan".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

ardinn wrote: »

Been done :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Hector Mildew

Dublin's Liberty Hall, HQ of SIPTU and eye-sore extrordinaire is to demolished. What say you?
    Obviously is fugly but it's a landmark I've grown up with and I'm kinda sad to see the old girl taken down.

The fact that it's well known (as an eyesore) is no reason to keep it. Hopefully they'll demolish it and build something better, and hopefully the workers involved are treated Well - it being a union building :)

Liberty hall will be renamed the freedom tower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Kind of symbolic, really, isn't it. the wrecking ball

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HAAA! HAAA!

It reminds me of the opening titles of the office (uk) for some reason.
    Busarus and other bits around that area too, just dull and functional, like a rainy tuesday morning in architectural form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭CoDy1

Wow, that's absolutely boring..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 HAAA! HAAA!

CoDy1 wrote: »
    Wow, that's absolutely boring..

Yeah, that ain't too pretty either is it.
    Like the old one with a circular bit on top.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,151 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should ditch the old name and call it Dick House, or Feck Hall.

• Advertisement
Advertisement