Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liberty Hall to be demolished

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

what are the bets all the work will be done by non unionised polish workers for below minimum wage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Lets just hope ye get proper architects to design it, cause Irelands current tallest building is a bit of an eyesore at the best of times in Cork.

http://www.blackiewarner.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_4547.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

CHealy wrote: »
    Lets just hope ye get proper architects to design it, cause Irelands current tallest building is a bit of an eyesore at the best of times in Cork.

http://www.blackiewarner.com/wp-content/uploads/IMG_4547.jpg

'ye know what would be deadly?'
    'wha?'
    'Building with a big feckin light sabre'
    'you're a feckin genius....feckin genius'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

what are the bets all the work will be done by non unionised polish workers for below minimum wage

Depends. If SIPTU are paying for it then they'd drag slave labour from China to build it cheaply enough. If the state is paying, the Jimbo,Anto and Paddy are gonna be on the case, lots of "consultants" on call and probably take several years to complete the foundations alone. plus the cost of building a "temporary" office for them thats better equipped and sounder than every Gov office rolled together.

My main concern is the strikes that were gonna have to endure if the new building is completed as the higher ups in SIPTU demand increased wages for "training" to use the new building or for having to travel further to work each day "All those extra seconds spent in elevators.....jasus its terrible Joe..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Good riddance. A dreadful eyesore for the capital city. Hopefully other abominations like Busaras, Apollo House, the truly sickening Hawkins House etc are all demolished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Good riddance. A dreadful eyesore for the capital city. Hopefully other abominations like Busaras, Apollo House, the truly sickening Hawkins House etc are all demolished.

Liberty Hall was actually a fine building when it was constructed. The reason it looks really bad now is because the facade was unloved. The addition of the dark bomb film to the windows in the 1970's destroyed its appearance.

I'll be sad to see it go, its one of the few fine examples of International Style Architecture in Ireland. Whats to replace it doesn't seem to be of much note either, a generic glass tower...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Always felt that if they reglazed the whole building in some funky glass(blue or orange or purple) it would look great.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

SHOVELLER wrote: »

Nothing wrong with Busaras that a bit of a clean of the inside wouldn't sort out. The other two need to go though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

Cool Mo D wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with Busaras that a bit of a clean of the inside wouldn't sort out. The other two need to go though.

Agreed. As much as I hate using busaras or being in it, I like looking at it from the outside.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

At least the beards in Siptu appear to be a bit progressive on this one...it's the beards ,Crusties and fuckin bleedin hearts in An Bord Pleanala that we has to worry about now..

Only capital city in Europe without a few high rise buildings...just shows the powere of the establishment...Mr Desmond put a stop to any progressive development in the leafy lanes of Ballbridge.

I'm with the Beards on this one...never thought I would be typing that !!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Alias G

Liberty Hall was actually a fine building when it was constructed. The reason it looks really bad now is because the facade was unloved. The addition of the dark bomb film to the windows in the 1970's destroyed its appearance.

I'll be sad to see it go, its one of the few fine examples of International Style Architecture in Ireland. Whats to replace it doesn't seem to be of much note either, a generic glass tower...

Couldn't agree more, Liberty hall and Busaras are both interesting buildings and it is unfortunate that they have been so poorly maintained. I guarantee we will end up regretting knocking them if it ever comes to it. Apollo house, Hawkins house and the Poolbeg chimneys on the other hand are all eyesores imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Alias G wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more, Liberty hall and Busaras are both interesting buildings and it is unfortunate that they have been so poorly maintained. I guarantee we will end up regretting knocking them if it ever comes to it. Apollo house, Hawkins house and the Poolbeg chimneys on the other hand are all eyesores imo.

With that's a load of complete tosh pal...Liberty hall might be an "interesting building" because its the only high rise building in the city centre...

In any other city it would have been demolished yrars ago...cant see the diff between the other buildings you mention and Liberty Hall...Hawkins is a dump Apollo House is lobsided and out of place...the only ones I would keep are The Stacks on Poolbeg..iconic Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Alias G

With that's a load of complete tosh pal...Liberty hall might be an "interesting building" because its the only high rise building in the city centre...

In any other city it would have been demolished yrars ago...cant see the diff between the other buildings you mention and Liberty Hall...Hawkins is a dump Apollo House is lobsided and out of place...the only ones I would keep are The Stacks on Poolbeg..iconic Dublin...

The stacks are two pipes of concrete that are totally out of context to the rest of dublin bay. Only weepy eyed nostalgic dubs could possibly see anything in them. "Iconic" my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Alias G wrote: »
    The stacks are two pipes of concrete that are totally out of context to the rest of dublin bay. Only weepy eyed nostalgic dubs could possibly see anything in them. "Iconic" my eye.

I agree, I dont see why people like those chimneys,theyre just plain ugly. The only reason there iconic is because theyre big, why not knock them down and build a nice big lighthouse or something in their place ,thatd be a much nicer icon . Itd look nice beside dublin bay too. Hawkins house,apollo house,the poolbeg chimeny stacks, busaras ,esb hq on fitzwilliam street and liberty hall should all be levelled together to once and for all cleanse dublin of its ugliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

bb1234567 wrote: »
    I agree, I dont see why people like those chimneys,theyre just plain ugly. The only reason there iconic is because theyre big, why not knock them down and build a nice big lighthouse or something in their place ,thatd be a much nicer icon . Itd look nice beside dublin bay too. Hawkins house,apollo house,the poolbeg chimeny stacks, busaras ,esb hq on fitzwilliam street and liberty hall should all be levelled together to once and for all cleanse dublin of its ugliness.

dont forget about dolphins barn. all of it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 looking4

Advertisement