Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Company shafts me, I fix the problem, then they "fix" it

• 25-02-2012 12:17am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Last Summer I cancelled my account with a well known utilities company but they incorrectly billed me, it was a direct debit account, after my account was closed. I rang up and they agreed that they shouldn't have billed me and that I would be refunded. This was in early October but the money was not refunded.

I rang back in late October and went through the same discussion with another member of staff. Again with the same outcome. The money was not refunded though.

I rang back in November and went through the same discussion with a different member of staff and again with the same outcome.

I was getting pretty annoyed at this stage and rang back in December. This time the discussion was a bit different in that they were saying they'd payed the money to me and that it was my Credit Card company's problem. Cue more arguing before they checked the credit card they payed....it wasn't mine! They then started saying that I should get the money off the person they did pay!

The thing is I was in rented accommodation and the person had moved out. They had the same second name as me and had called in a service engineer to try and fix a problem but I didn't know they'd to pay upfront for this. As you can guess they paid by credit card. So I'd made over 24 payments on my credit card and this person had made one. Any time I deal with this company I have to give 4 or 5 pieces of information to get anywhere with them.

I was onto them a few more times to get them to pay me which they kept saying they could do nothing and I was getting more and more annoyed. In the end I managed to track down the person who they had payed and they gave me the money. My last contact with the company was the start of January.

So today I open my post and I've received a cheque from the company. No letter inside saying what it is or anything, it's just a cheque in an envelope with a blank "with compliments" sheet of paper.

Do you think I should give them the cheque back? It's made out for the wrong amount as well!

What to do? 20 votes

Give it back you thief
    0% 0 votes
    Keep it, think of all the money you spent on phonecalls
    10% 2 votes
    What is this thing called "cheque"?
    90% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

Are you mad keep the cheque and how much was it for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

If it's any consolation I was fleeced by a similar or possibly the same company many years ago. Keep the cheque. It's a karma thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

None of this is true :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

None of this is true :cool:
    Alright then.
    You heard the man, scrap the thread. (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Are you mad keep the cheque and how much was it for?

It was for just over 110 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,536 ✭✭✭AngryBollix

CatFromHue wrote: »

How much were they out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Keep it will you. Companies make a living by screwing as much as they can from customers. Get a little something back.

Keep it buy a chinese with it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

CatFromHue wrote: »

Not to be sniffed at unless you were meant to recieve 1 million dollars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

They will pursue the other person for the money so if they find him/her and collect off them you should pay that person back.If not.......beers are on you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The cheque was for 17 euro too much :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

Seriously do you really want a 110 euro coming back to bite ya in the ass? FFS if it was MUCH more i'd say well, pay off your bills and feck it, but for the sake of 110euro, NAH. You can bet your ass, some where some how, it will feck ya up!

Sometimes honesty is the best policy, and in this instance it probably is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

I'd say....

Kill them, kill them all!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Keep it and say nothing.
    Its not like your after been given €5000 and would'nt be able to pay it back if they came after it.

Worst case senario they ask for it back then give back the €110 after making them jump threw the hoops you did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

If you've spent anything more than half a day trying to resolve the issue I'd consider it compensation for same....after all, the non-existent letter with the cheque doesn't say otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭facemelter

keep it and if they contact you tell them that you will repay them and then just dont , and keep doing this , and then tell then you have repaid them and the problem is that they gave you the wrong details ;)

Advertisement