Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Money Maze…WAIT…No, Money Pit! DCU Labyrinth?

Options
  • 25-02-2012 12:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

So, the Interfaith Centre have their big proposal for the year: A labyrinth so students can walk around and around and around and follow the pattern on the ground till their heads gets dizzy, all for meditative and spiritual purposes.
    I’ve no problem with people being spiritual but should it be thrown on people who haven't asked for us at this cost?

But let’s just see the cost. It’s €50,000 for a couple of stone slabs in a circle, according to the picture in the paper. I wonder what else this could be spent on? Another counselor? More awareness of services? Better events? Better Rag Week would’ve been good.

An epic waste of money and time by the so called ‘Labyrinth committee’!!!! I love that this just popped out of nowhere. I’m waiting for the Statue Committee or Tower Committee.

A howl back to the Celtic Tiger days! I wonder who they are?
    The committee that gets a free junket to Edinburgh?
    More university money down the drain, more of my reg fee not coming back to me!

Typical Celtic Tiger cubs that jump from committee to committee in dcu.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Rag Week is a totally separate issue and unrelated to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 irishdude92

I know it's a seperate issue but they could use some of the money being put aside for this towards better events in the future.

I know it's a seperate issue but they could use some of the money being put aside for this towards better events in the future.
    Do you know the current state of the SU's finances?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

I predict an earthquake up in here

'Cos we throw bombs on it
    throw bombs on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭PanicStations

I have searched the DCU SU website for their published accounts but could not find them. Does anyone have a link to where the DCU SU accounts are published?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 Deckof52

This trip is being funded from the Interfaith Budget which is €1,700 according to the College View.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 The Peoples Own MP

Fifty grand on a glorified patio? :rolleyes:

Would rather the cash went towards things that are actually useful to students, like more books. Fed up lying in wait, ready to ponce, for someone to return one of the paltry number of law books to the 48hr section.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

But let’s just see the cost. It’s €50,000 for a couple of stone slabs in a circle, according to the picture in the paper. I wonder what else this could be spent on?

The Travelator.

The committee that gets a free junket to Edinburgh?

The funny part is that there's a perfectly fine labyrinth in Maynooth that they could go visit, but nope, they're going to Scotland. It's just going to be a pissup on the Interfaith's/SU's money, and a nice dinner for a couple.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

MrPirate wrote: »
    The Travelator.

The funny part is that there's a perfectly fine labyrinth in Maynooth that they could go visit, but nope, they're going to Scotland. It's just going to be a pissup on the Interfaith's/SU's money, and a nice dinner for a couple.

As opposed to every other society outing? Get real.

Stev_o wrote: »
    As opposed to every other society outing? Get real.

I never said anything about societies, did I?
    Please learn to read.

• Advertisement

Ridiculous that they are going to Scotland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Ridiculous that they are going to Scotland.

Hear hear. This whole new age labyrinth thing was a joke, I assumed, until I saw this thread. Get real folks. We're a scientific institution. Where is the evidence for all this claptrap?

extopia wrote: »
    Hear hear. This whole new age labyrinth thing was a joke, I assumed, until I saw this thread. Get real folks. We're a scientific institution. Where is the evidence for all this claptrap?
    Its 50 grand for a fcuking patio.

Who decides whether this goes ahead or not? I think I feel strongly enough about this to do more than complain on the intenet about it :O

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Cjayses

0.6% of the Union's annual budget will be donated towards it. So I'm told.

extopia wrote: »

It's legit. RAG soc seems to be one of the main clients for it.
    Cjayses wrote: »
    0.6% of the Union's annual budget will be donated towards it. So I'm told.

They're trying to get the SU to donate 10k towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Deckof52

Actually,
    0.06% is an incorrect sum.
    It's coming from the Union budget which is around 400,000.
    Which would make it 4% of the Union budget.
    0.06% of the OSL budget but that would increase to 1-3% if they go to SLC & CLC.

The trip to Scotland has taken place and took place before most of the comments on this thread about it. The feedback from the trip was very good and should be heard campus wide.

This will go ahead whether the SU give €10,000 to it or not, it will just take longer. The motion to donate €10,000 is due to be voted on tomorrow at 5pm by class reps (although it could be postponed again).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

It's legit. RAG soc seems to be one of the main clients for it.

Sure - what I meant was 'where is the scientific evidence for the claimed benefits of the labyrinth'
    Deckof52 wrote:
    t's coming from the Union budget which is around 400,000.
    Which would make it 4% of the Union budget.

Well 10k is actually only 2.5% of 400k, FWIW. Still a waste of money though. Unless it's a very nice patio - which has value in itself, apart from its 'spiritual' properties...

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Shreddingblood

This is complete and utter bollocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

It may be overpriced, but the basic idea is the right one. Our campus DOES have sweet f**k all to look at except that bloody mosaic on the wall. How much did THAT cost?

We need a bit of decoration. And I for one would welcome a kind of meditation area like the one suggested, despite it being open to abuse by some. Even from a secular viewpoint, it'd be a nice thing to have on campus. But I would agree that it can't possibly be worth €50K, surely we could get it cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Talking about in terms of a percentage of the union budget is nonsense. 10k is 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 supine

I'll do it for €50 and the cost/use of materials. Those materials being:

1x Paint brush
    1x Bucket of white paint

The union should focus instead on getting the OldBar sorted. The amount of societies that got f##ked over with it closing is a little more important to student life than a labyrinth.

EDIT: Just gained wind that the SU passed it in CRC... Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,448 ✭✭✭Garseys

EDIT: Just gained wind that the it was passed by class reps in CRC... Lovely.

FYP.

SU Exec don't have a vote in CRC.

Garseys wrote: »
    FYP.

SU Exec don't have a vote in CRC.

I know. They're exempt, imo. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the99percent

There must be a way of stopping the class reps doing this, its a total waste of money like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the99percent

There must be a way of stopping the class reps doing this, its a total waste of money like.

I've been told a petition of 200 students can overturn the class rep decision and force the union to ask the student body. Im thinking of organising this.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭seanaor

I've been told a petition of 200 students can overturn the class rep decision and force the union to ask the student body. Im thinking of organising this.

Count me in. It's a complete waste of money for something that will just be used as a glorified urinal after "Tuesdays @ The Hub".

• Registered Users Posts: 3 irishdude92

If anyone else wishes to sign the petition PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

Why does it cost so much ? Is a breakdown of the price to be shown soon ?

If the students who want it, really want it that bad then let them all chip in and physically build it themselves as opposed to the huge price tag. They could all have a great time building it or is the whole health and safety / insurance / slave labor problems the excuse ?

Advertisement