Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Money Maze…WAIT…No, Money Pit! DCU Labyrinth?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 vinnyb

Interesting that DCU SF are bringing this particular motion -

The Labryinth seems to be a tool which aids the happiness and prosperity of a minority of students.

The below quote from the proclamation "resolves to pursue happiness and prosperity".

"The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and of all its parts"

It appears that DCU SF are appearing to dismiss the concepts of happiness and prosperity as being tangibly measurable by a sum of money?

Personally I think they could do with taking a look at where their party came from and what exactly it stands for, as opposed to simply looking to make cheap gains by capitalising on self-confessed uninformed populist opinion!!

In an age where an awareness is increasing in the area of mental health I would have hoped that a plan like this would have been welcomed with open arms. Fair enough €10,000 is a sizeable amount of money yet can we put a price on how this space may positively contribute to the mental well-being of many students, in a way which clubs and socs do for some and student support services do for others. People derive mental well-being from different sources. Just because you happen to derive your well-being from being around people or talking to someone does not mean that others do not gain same through silent self-reflection, a sense of spiritualism and a sense of oneness with nature. I for one have friends who fall in the later category who thrive on silent self-reflection etc. I didn't understand it for a long time but now I realise that is just them. Can we not just be accepting of the contrasting needs of the student body and attempt to facilitate them?

This year some societies received grants as large of €30,000+, the biggest societies in DCU have 500-600 members.

The labryinth is looking for a €10,000 contribution from the student body, for a structure which will last up to 300 years. Even if it is used regularly by 5 students a year for the next 50 years it willl arguably equate to better value for money than much of the other capitation fee expenditure.

As regards the "girl who influenced" I really don't see what the issue was, she spoke, people counter-argued her point and some spoke for it. Perhaps it is just a case that the girl in question spoke very articulately about the issue in a way which showed people that the issue was not black and white and that many common misconceptions as aired on this particular forum are untrue.

I hope that my comments are seen as inflammatory and lead to more measured responses than some of the knee-jerk posts which have preceeded me.

P.S. Apologies in advance for any grammar or spelling errors - my checkers have been disabled for some reason

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 the99percent

vinnyb wrote: »
    Interesting that DCU SF are bringing this particular motion -

The Labryinth seems to be a tool which aids the happiness and prosperity of a minority of students.

The below quote from the proclamation "resolves to pursue happiness and prosperity".

"The Republic guarantees religious and civil liberty, equal rights and equal opportunities to all its citizens, and declares its resolve to pursue the happiness and prosperity of the whole nation and of all its parts"

It appears that DCU SF are appearing to dismiss the concepts of happiness and prosperity as being tangibly measurable by a sum of money?

Personally I think they could do with taking a look at where their party came from and what exactly it stands for, as opposed to simply looking to make cheap gains by capitalising on self-confessed uninformed populist opinion!!

In an age where an awareness is increasing in the area of mental health I would have hoped that a plan like this would have been welcomed with open arms. Fair enough €10,000 is a sizeable amount of money yet can we put a price on how this space may positively contribute to the mental well-being of many students, in a way which clubs and socs do for some and student support services do for others. People derive mental well-being from different sources. Just because you happen to derive your well-being from being around people or talking to someone does not mean that others do not gain same through silent self-reflection, a sense of spiritualism and a sense of oneness with nature. I for one have friends who fall in the later category who thrive on silent self-reflection etc. I didn't understand it for a long time but now I realise that is just them. Can we not just be accepting of the contrasting needs of the student body and attempt to facilitate them?

This year some societies received grants as large of €30,000+, the biggest societies in DCU have 500-600 members.

The labryinth is looking for a €10,000 contribution from the student body, for a structure which will last up to 300 years. Even if it is used regularly by 5 students a year for the next 50 years it willl arguably equate to better value for money than much of the other capitation fee expenditure.

As regards the "girl who influenced" I really don't see what the issue was, she spoke, people counter-argued her point and some spoke for it. Perhaps it is just a case that the girl in question spoke very articulately about the issue in a way which showed people that the issue was not black and white and that many common misconceptions as aired on this particular forum are untrue.

I hope that my comments are seen as inflammatory and lead to more measured responses than some of the knee-jerk posts which have preceeded me.

P.S. Apologies in advance for any grammar or spelling errors - my checkers have been disabled for some reason

If youd take your head out of your ass youd realise that while DCU Sinn Fein are grandstanding and have attracted some brownie points with students over their innovation you would realise that it is in fact students that will decide not Sinn Fein, and maybe thats your real problem

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Stargazer7

Referendum it is, huzzah! Let's hope they manage to run it properly this time...

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Since their so interested in our mental health what about the issue that people often wait more than a month to get an appointment with the psychiatrist who visits campus?

The counselling service can only do so much, if an actual mental health issue is present you need to be referred to the psychiatrist, who only visits Tuesdays and I believe is will nearly always booked up to the extent that it would take 3 weeks minimum from time of referral to appointment. Most students could never afford this service outside the college and so are stuck waiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 DCU SF

Stargazer7 wrote: »
    Referendum it is, huzzah! Let's hope they manage to run it properly this time...

Hopefully :)

We had a meeting with Ed Leamy and Sean Rooney yesterday morning to decide the wording etc... It's just a simple yes/no.
    Noodleworm wrote: »
    Since their so interested in our mental health what about the issue that people often wait more than a month to get an appointment with the psychiatrist who visits campus?

If true that is shocking, and unacceptable.

Dave Clougher
    DCU SF Secretary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

Glad to see a referendum is being held on this... As a class rep, I'm afraid I missed the Class Rep Council meeting which decided this. The votes were something like 24-14 in favour, and I was appalled when I saw the results in the minutes...
    I've seen during this thread that people have commented on using the money intended for the labyrinth for the Old Bar. According to the figures presented to CRC, the money required to bring the Old Bar "up to scratch" is approximately €30,000.
    I also noticed people commenting on services that should be provided by DCU, but aren't. I can only say one thing to that, bring it further. Bring it to your class rep, bring it to a different class rep if your isn't bothered, bring it to your convener, bring it to the sabbatical officers.
    Lastly, I noticed somebody commenting that information about the labyrinth should have been brought to each class by their rep(s), and voted upon by the students of the class. To be quite blunt, not enough people care. DCU is marketed as a college where you attend to get a degree. My class, Computer Applications, wouldn't have passed a bit of heed, and probably would have laughed in my face if I attempted that course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭polkabunny

Glad to see a referendum is being held on this... As a class rep, I'm afraid I missed the Class Rep Council meeting which decided this. The votes were something like 24-14 in favour, and I was appalled when I saw the results in the minutes...
    I've seen during this thread that people have commented on using the money intended for the labyrinth for the Old Bar. According to the figures presented to CRC, the money required to bring the Old Bar "up to scratch" is approximately €30,000.
    I also noticed people commenting on services that should be provided by DCU, but aren't. I can only say one thing to that, bring it further. Bring it to your class rep, bring it to a different class rep if your isn't bothered, bring it to your convener, bring it to the sabbatical officers.
    Lastly, I noticed somebody commenting that information about the labyrinth should have been brought to each class by their rep(s), and voted upon by the students of the class. To be quite blunt, not enough people care. DCU is marketed as a college where you attend to get a degree. My class, Computer Applications, wouldn't have passed a bit of heed, and probably would have laughed in my face if I attempted that course of action.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

DCU SF wrote: »
    If true that is shocking, and unacceptable.

Dave Clougher
    DCU SF Secretary

It is true. When I attended the counselling service I was initially on a 12-week waiting list. Luckily, due to cancellations I got an appointment in about 8 weeks (can't remember exactly, but it was well over a month).

The counselling service is an extremely important aspect of the university that unfortunately appears to be overlooked. Due to lack of funding - and monies going to silly projects - people who need to see a counsellor urgently are suffering.

Don't forget all the areas of student support the counseling service work with, careers service, psychiatrist all have equally long waits of about a month. The health center is always booked up.

The counseling service does what it can but it has to try and put priority on what it deems to be urgent cases, people on the waiting lists can develop more issues over the time that they wait for an appointment, possibly needing more sessions in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

polkabunny wrote: »
    My class, Computer Applications, wouldn't have passed a bit of heed, and probably would have laughed in my face if I attempted that course of action.

Aye, like, but did you even ask. My class rep seems to have been one of the few who did, and even then I only read the last last minute email she sent, but were it not for her tenacity I never would have known. And had I not known a fair few of my friends wouldn't have known and they wouldn't have discussed it with other friends and so on and so forth. Word of mouth like.

But that seems to symptomatic of what I've found lacking in DCU in general. There's a lot of complaints, but very few people willing to do anything. Either because they don't know how or because they've eventually lost the will to do so. By the time people finally know how the system works it seems to have broken their spirit to the point where they don't see how they can possibly change anything anyway.

Every year there are candidates at election who vow to get the student body more involved in the college and to make things more open and transparent, which never seems to happen if the same promises are being made - and apparently being unfulfilled - year on year. Course, since I'm actually rather embroiled in the establishment myself by this point, I can't really comment on how approachable or cliquey the SU is - without even touching on the fact that there's different 'factions' within as well, such as Clubs, Societies, the Union. I don't even understand a large part of it to be honest, and I'm not sure where I'd go to find out, outside of asking someone to explain it. Which is all well and good for me, since I know who to ask and am perfectly happy to do so, but I would have been rather hesitant to do so in first or even second year.

I guess there's a lot of problems really. Perhaps a bottom-up approach to restructuring would be most appropriate? But then again that takes money, doesn't it.

God that got depressing and off the point rather quickly. Sry. On the bright side, no college is perfect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Sod'o swords

Give me the ~60 grand it takes to build it and i'll be mentally healthy and happy for a long time.

The count was completed at around midnight last night:

Labyrinth Result: Yes - 701. No - 1562. 69% of students voted No.

It's been a long road to get to this point but I'm absolutely delighted that all the hard work, from organizing the petition and collecting the signatures to standing out in the freezing wind campaigning over the past few days (why couldn't the elections have been last week!!) has paid off.

On behalf of DCU Sinn Féin I'd like to thank everyone for their support and above all for simply getting out and making their voices heard. This years turnout was very good and it was great to see students take interest in how their money is spent.

Dave Clougher
    DCU Sinn Féin Secretary

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Dropout237

I am really impressed with the concern that DCU Sinn Féin has for the welfare of DCU students. The lengths to which it has gone to support the renovation of the Old Bar so that a new generation of alcoholics can be prepared for a life of binge drinking is, to say the very least, staggering.

As I read through these comments it amazed me how little the students actually know about Labyrinths and the benefits they can bring to the wellbeing of students and staff. As for Sinn Féin's advice to students on how to vote in the referendum, the use of 'If you don't know, vote no' approach, surely reflects badly on the students themselves as they are in an educational institution that is preparing them to be independent thinkers and to investigate and challenge ideas and concepts for themselves. Sinn Féin has done the students of DCU a gross disservice with this advice.

I hope that the students can come to appreciate that they have passed up a tremendous opportunity to add to the diverse experience that is DCU.

Dropout237 wrote: »
    I am really impressed with the concern that DCU Sinn Féin has for the welfare of DCU students. The lengths to which it has gone to support the renovation of the Old Bar so that a new generation of alcoholics can be prepared for a life of binge drinking is, to say the very least, staggering.

As I read through these comments it amazed me how little the students actually know about Labyrinths and the benefits they can bring to the wellbeing of students and staff. As for Sinn Féin's advice to students on how to vote in the referendum, the use of 'If you don't know, vote no' approach, surely reflects badly on the students themselves as they are in an educational institution that is preparing them to be independent thinkers and to investigate and challenge ideas and concepts for themselves. Sinn Féin has done the students of DCU a gross disservice with this advice.

I hope that the students can come to appreciate that they have passed up a tremendous opportunity to add to the diverse experience that is DCU.

Just so everyone knows I was talking to someone who is very involved in the class rep council and he told me the Labyrinth hasn't gone away and there will be a push for it next year, so DCU sinn fein will need to be on guard to stop any student money been spent on this. The students have had their say on the matter and that should be it.

Suspect the above post is an attempt to kick it all off again.

Also from what I hear the repair work to the Old Bar is to make it a society space and a chill out area not another pub so #fail

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

Just so everyone knows I was talking to someone who is very involved in the class rep council and he told me the Labyrinth hasn't gone away and there will be a push for it next year, so DCU sinn fein will need to be on guard to stop any student money been spent on this. The students have had their say on the matter and that should be it.

Suspect the above post is an attempt to kick it all off again.
    Technically its tax payer's money being spent on it and I think it is incorrect to classify it as student money.

The Labyrinth will go ahead with or without money from the Student's Union such is the drive behind it. There are many other areas funding can be got for it and there has been funding promised to it already. The €10,000 the Student's Union were asked for is only going to delay it not prevent it

Even after the referendum on it most of the Student Body do not fully understand what the Labyrinth is or how it will impact on DCU and the Student Body.

The repair work to the Old Bar is to make it safe to be reopened, nothing has been said about making it an area for Clubs or Societies or another bar. It has however been suggested that when the repair work is finished it will be another area for Clubs and Societies to use for their events.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Ashashi

A labyrinth seems like a pointless lump in my eyes. Spend that 10000 on improving the faltering psychiatric system in DCU. When we begin to see an upturn in the economy and we have discretionary funds, well then work away. I would see it as a pointless waste of money when that 10000 could be spent on better things such as more books in the library or more computers.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭MrPirate

Right, let's get something straight, shall we? The closing of the Old Bar (Albeit yes, it was in some state) f**ked over so many societies. Being from a society which used that area relatively frequently, it was an absolute pain in the hole. Renovating the Old Bar won't be for, as you call, it "a new generation of alcoholics", it'll be for SOCIETIES and CLUBS as well as the GENERAL STUDENT POPULATION to use as a chill-out area separate from the NuBar itself. Societies/Clubs NEED THIS SPACE. It's a true pain having to book a random room somewhere for something that'd be much more suited to the OldBar. Not to mention the fact that it's easier to tell students "Yeah, it's in the OldBar", rather than saying "Yeah, it's in Q118". I think it's safe to say more students know where the Hub/OldBar is than a random room in a building in which they might not even have a single lecture in.

FURTHERMORE the referendum didn't even need to happen. Read the constitution. Find it yet? No? Let me help you:
    10.1.7 Only monies derived from non-capitation sources shall be used for any charitable
    donation.

Basically, what this means is that the SU, even if the referendum passed, could not give the 10k to the cause. This could be brought to a legal court, and ruled against the donation. So a potential lawsuit. The only way that the SU could have given the money is if they ran a donation based campaign to get the funds. Otherwise, there'd be no way they could legally give the money.

If a labyrinth is built, so be it! But I don't want to see it come from the SU's money.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

As I read through these comments it amazed me how little the students actually know about Labyrinths and the benefits they can bring to the wellbeing of students and staff.

I'm really amazed at the benefits that everyone is claiming for labyrinths. At this stage I'm wondering if we should just phase out the country's mental health service and begin a national labyrinth building program.

Can someone link me to some research that shows all these benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭lithiumoxide

MrPirate wrote: »
    FURTHERMORE the referendum didn't even need to happen. Read the constitution. Find it yet? No? Let me help you:

Basically, what this means is that the SU, even if the referendum passed, could not give the 10k to the cause. This could be brought to a legal court, and ruled against the donation. So a potential lawsuit. The only way that the SU could have given the money is if they ran a donation based campaign to get the funds. Otherwise, there'd be no way they could legally give the money.

Haha, brilliant. Does the SU Exec even read the Constitution these days?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Tiroskan

In general, I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Can someone link me to some research that shows all these benefits?

I found a couple of half decent articles. Seems legit, if debatable. Enjoy.

A popular science article
    http://dailyheal.com/meditation-news/how-a-meditation-labyrinth-balances-your-brain/

A more scholarly approach
    http://jhn.sagepub.com/content/24/2/103.abstract

As a point of interest, yes. But it's questionable as to whether or not this was a charitable donation, or an investment in the infrastructure of DCU.

What amazes me is that people keep talking about this labyrinth helping other people, Why will no one talk about it personally? As supposedly this whole issue is intended to raise awareness about mental health.

Has anyone backing this project actually stopped and said "Yes, I'll feel much better dealing with things if only we had a labyrinth"?
    Any evidence about relaxation or mindfulness would probably place it on par with other activities like, going for a walk, writing, drawing or taking to someone.
    Its a nice gesture but the labyrinth doesn't provide anything that can't be gotten elsewhere. Whereas the counseling and psychiatric services are jam-packed right now. Students can't obtain those for free anywhere else.

Urizen wrote: »
    But it's questionable as to whether or not this was a charitable donation, or an investment in the infrastructure of DCU.
    Bingo!

In this week’s edition of The College View there is an article outlining the Labyrinth Committees intention to seek a second referendum on the donation of 10,000 Euro of SU money towards the Labyrinth project. In a play directly from the "Lisbon 2" handbook Fr Joe claims that the students "were not informed enough" when they cast their ballot. Fr Joe then went on to misrepresent DCU Sinn Féin's position, although he did not name us specifically, by saying that "it appears that there are societies in the University who think alcohol and the provision of a second bar on campus to be more important than students' emotional and spiritual health".

We reject his claims in their entirety. Students were informed about the project, DCU Sinn Féin over a number of months, from when we started the petition to campaigning at election time, informed the student body about the labyrinth and the proposed donation. Students had every opportunity to do their own research on the issue - something we encouraged them to do. There was also a "yes" campaign which sent out a mass email to students arguing for a yes vote. There was also a debate on DCU FM. Fr Joe himself, in breach of regulations, sent out a mass email to students which contained information about the labyrinth. The students made up their minds and decisively voted against the donation. Fr Joe and the Labyrinth Committee should accept and respect the students democratic decision.

Over the course of the campaign DCU Sinn Féin made a number of suggestions on what the money could be alternatively spent on, renovating and reopening the “OldBar”, to be used as a "chill out zone" for students and as a space for clubs and societies to use (many societies have suffered since the "OldBar" was closed) was just one of these. At no time did we argue for what Fr Joe claimed we had in the article.

Sinn Féin recognizes the importance of student's mental health. We are currently liaising with the relevant college authorities and are working on bringing forward some proposals next semester on how the money could be spent in ways which would greater serve students mental well being. We will outline these in due course.

We reject his claims in their entirety. Students were informed about the project, DCU Sinn Féin over a number of months, from when we started the petition to campaigning at election time, informed the student body about the labyrinth and the proposed donation.
    Some of the people taking names for the petition knew absolutely nothing about the Labyrinth proposal put to class reps or about any of the debates which surrounded it. I don't know how you can say you informed people about it when the people you had taking names for your petition knew absolutely nothing about the Labyrinth.

DCU Sinn Féin took part in a campaign to have the Labyrinth proposal voted against. There is a difference between this and informing the student body.
    There was also a "yes" campaign which sent out a mass email to students arguing for a yes vote.
    You neglect to mention that you yourselves for the "no" campaign sent out a mass email to students arguing for a no vote and it was only after this email was sent out that the "yes" campaign sent out their email.

DCU Sinn Féin throughout the Labyrinth campaign played on people's emotions and the tough times that so many people are experiencing in order to get people to vote no.
    Students had every opportunity to do their own research on the issue - something we encouraged them to do.
    If I remember correctly one of the campaign slogans used by DCU Sinn Féin was along the lines of 'If you don't know vote No' or exactly that. That does not sound to me like you encouraged people to do their own research.

Throughout the whole time DCU Sinn Féin were looking for a no vote I did not read or hear anything from DCU Sinn Féin about the Labyrinth which was informative without being heavily layered with propaganda or which encouraged me to do my own research.

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Some of the people taking names for the petition knew absolutely nothing about the Labyrinth proposal put to class reps or about any of the debates which surrounded it. I don't know how you can say you informed people about it when the people you had taking names for your petition knew absolutely nothing about the Labyrinth.
    This is not true.
    You neglect to mention that you yourselves for the "no" campaign sent out a mass email to students arguing for a no vote and it was only after this email was sent out that the "yes" campaign sent out their email.
    Again this is not entirely true. The emails were sent out after we complained about Fr Joes email - one which was in breach of regulations. It was then decided that both sides would be allowed to send out mass emails to ensure a level playing field.
    If I remember correctly one of the campaign slogans used by DCU Sinn Féin was along the lines of 'If you don't know vote No' or exactly that. That does not sound to me like you encouraged people to do their own research.
    Again this is not true. I wrote all the material and I never used those words. Our only slogan, if you want to call it that, was "There are $10,000 reasons to vote no".

If you can't be honest then I'm afraid I don't see any point in engaging with you any further.

You, Fr Joe and the Labyrinth Committee should simply accept that the students have made their democratic decision. It is anti-democratic to ask the students to vote again simply because you didn't like their answer the first time - hence we oppose holding a second referendum. To do so would simply be a waste of time, effort and money. The student body overwhelmingly decided against donating the money, and that should be the end of the matter.

Dave Clougher
    DCU Sinn Féin Secretary

This is not true.
    Yes it is.
    Again this is not entirely true. The emails were sent out after we complained about Fr Joes email - one which was in breach of regulations. It was then decided that both sides would be allowed to send out mass emails to ensure a level playing field.
    Yes it is true, you can't deny you sent out an email arguing for a no vote. Father Joe's email was more informative than an attempt to sway the vote. If it wasn't deemed as informative and was instead deemed in favour of the yes side and trying to get people to vote yes than why was the yes side given the chance to send another mass email? Surely that's not a level playing field then?
    Again this is not true. I wrote all the material and I never used those words. Our only slogan, if you want to call it that, was "There are $10,000 reasons to vote no".
    Well then I was mistaken, it must have been somebody else who had said it my apologies.
    If you can't be honest then I'm afraid I don't see any point in engaging with you any further.
    I have been nothing but honest.
    You, Fr Joe and the Labyrinth Committee should simply accept that the students have made their democratic decision.
    I accept the students have made their democratic decision. Whilst I do believe many were misinformed and if your propaganda campaign had not gone ahead and we had a single unbiased informative campaign by the SU the outcome would have been different I accept that we are in a democracy and the decision should stand.

I do not want or see the benefit in having another referendum.

All I want is for people like yourself to just tell the truth and not fudge the details to benefit themselves and to get what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 smiling_patty

I complaint about the email Fr Joe sent out too and all I was told was that it was purely information and not trying to get votes. It is just funny that a second referendum is demanded... Why cant people accept the result? Attending the class rep councils has just opened my eyes tomhow the student union really works and it has nothing to do with being there for the students and representing their interests. How is it representing the interests of the students if the SU president is pro labyrinth? He should have been neutral in this matter. It is also funny that people who are against the labyrinth are being called liars...Childish behaviour ofnsomeone who didnt get what he wanted... Dave is right, one email from the yes side and one email from the no side were approved to be send out and it was the yes side that said that if you didn't have the time to do research ...just vote yes....and if some people are so concerned about the drinking habits of student... Why not propose a ban of alcohol on campus and at all balls? Kavrocks, i feel sorry for you. Just accept the facts and the referendum outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

I've been keeping my eye on this thread for a while now, thought I'd throw my two cents in...

I would love if both sides would actually just list their pros and cons for the labyrinth, highly unlikely, but it would be nice. I know fr Joe sent out his but I can't help but feel he's not in the most impartial position for this.

I voted no because I don't see the point of it... I mean I'm all in favour for improving students services for mental health/well-being but this just doesn't seem like the best way to me.

I'm sure this has been suggested before, but can't we just do this with some really nice paint or something, say for a thousand euro?

The worst part of the whole fiasco for me (and I can say it without worrying too much seeing as I'm finished now! :D) was after the results came out. Myself and a few friends were talking to some people and one of the "pro-labyrinth" people came over to talk to the other person in our conversation. We were introduced and asked which way we voted in the referendum and, not knowing the company I was in, I just mumbled something about not being able to make it and just asked how it went. She responded with glee that they lost by about 1500-750 votes, which confused me a little until she announced that it's going to happen anyway regardless of the votes, and that the voting was all just a formality to approve the funding...

From what I have heard it sounds like it will go ahead with or without the SU funding, but I just thought the smugness and really the disrespect for the opinion of the student body was pretty awful.

Anyway rant over, enjoy the labyrinth next year for those who will still be here :)

Advertisement