Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

ceap IBT cert waterford area

• 25-02-2012 1:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi I have just went back on a bike after 18 year break and I can not beleive the regulations I need to get an IBT cert don't want the traing it seem to be a bit of a joke does anyony know where i can get a cheap cert in the waterford area

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

18 years is a long time. Get the training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ride Safe

tommyit wrote: »
    Hi I have just went back on a bike after 18 year break and I can not beleive the regulations I need to get an IBT cert don't want the traing it seem to be a bit of a joke does anyony know where i can get a cheap cert in the waterford area

No such thing as a cheap cert but if you shop around you may be able to get a deal on the IBT course.

I havent had anyone on a course yet (even some experienced riders) who have not enjoyed it and reckon they learned alot.

I can PM you some details of the course I run in Wexford or have a look at my add on Adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tommyit

Don’t think this is anymore the government trying make harder for people get bikes and a few guys cashing in on it.I have got a few phone numbers only one answer so far from Richard Thompson of roadskill ie, he is expensive and arrogant in my option only for special needs with a lot of money
    1 out 10 for answering the phone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

As much as I agree it is just a money making scheme (I'll never understand why the government insist on bringing in regulations to try to fix "problems" but apply them only to those who have not contributed to their "statistics") you will need to undertake the training. The IBT is a great money maker for the instructors so you will be hard pressed to find one who will give you the cert either (a) on the cheap or (b) without undertaking the training.

I think the IBT course is severely lacking and needs to be seriously looked at before it can be considered as useful as some people would have you believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

Don’t think this is anymore the government trying make harder for people get bikes and a few guys cashing in on it.I have got a few phone numbers only one answer so far from Richard Thompson of roadskill ie, he is expensive and arrogant in my option only for special needs with a lot of money
    I don't think putting me down on the internet is the best way forward but why don't you tell everyone about our conversation before calling me arrogant and expensive. You tried to haggle on prices for 10 minutes telling me how expensive it is and as if you were the exception to the rule. you call me arrogant but you laughed down the phone as i tried to explain the regulations to you. you did not believe me about ibt. you also went on as if it was my fault you had to do it. I was perfectly pleasant with you on the phone until this as i got fed up telling you. by the way this was the second conversation we had and you told me you could get it in Dublin for €200 so i said you should go because i can't match that. i hope you get sorted out but it won't be with me. I have put over 100 new riders on the road since ibt came in and no complaints.
    Best Regards

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ride Safe

As much as I agree it is just a money making scheme (I'll never understand why the government insist on bringing in regulations to try to fix "problems" but apply them only to those who have not contributed to their "statistics") you will need to undertake the training. The IBT is a great money maker for the instructors so you will be hard pressed to find one who will give you the cert either (a) on the cheap or (b) without undertaking the training.

I think the IBT course is severely lacking and needs to be seriously looked at before it can be considered as useful as some people would have you believe.

So you have done the IBT course?
    What did you find it severely lacking in and what parts need to be seriously looked at?

Would love to get your feedback.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

But could the same not be said for Car drivers? I mean the EDT regulations were brought in last April '11 so it's not just motorcycles that the government and EU is clamping down on :confused:

Roadskill wrote: »
    I don't think putting me down on the internet is the best way forward but why don't you tell everyone about our conversation before calling me arrogant and expensive. You tried to haggle on prices for 10 minutes telling me how expensive it is and as if you were the exception to the rule. you call me arrogant but you laughed down the phone as i tried to explain the regulations to you. you did not believe me about ibt. you also went on as if it was my fault you had to do it. I was perfectly pleasant with you on the phone until this as i got fed up telling you. by the way this was the second conversation we had and you told me you could get it in Dublin for €200 so i said you should go because i can't match that. i hope you get sorted out but it won't be with me. I have put over 100 new riders on the road since ibt came in and no complaints.
    Best Regards

You told me you show me how to a bike on a stand (Special needs)
    you said 1 to 1 on weekends was €800 (800x100=80000) and it is only in a year
    I realy don't think you need my money
    but i hope anyone reading this shops are even if they have to go outside the county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭Notch000

theres 100 weeks in a year, class i never knew

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Maybe you should call yourself Tommytit ?

• Advertisement

Dont feed the Troll!

I finished my IBT on Saturday and found it excellent.
    Sure some of its basic buts its in the Name.

450 I paid

wellboytoo wrote: »
    Maybe you should call yourself Tommytit ?

wellboytool
    Sorry if it Offends you maybe brainwashed be the over regulation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

You told me you show me how to a bike on a stand (Special needs)
    you said 1 to 1 on weekends was €800 (800x100=80000) and it is only in a year
    I realy don't think you need my money
    but i hope anyone reading this shops are even if they have to go outside the county

I think what you need to understand is that IBT is not optional.

You can't just buy the cert, you actually have to do the course.

I am not giving my opinion on wether it is right or wrong, I am just saying that it is now the law, like it or not.

Having a go at a riding instructor is not going to change the law.

P.C. wrote: »
    I think what you need to understand is that IBT is not optional.

You can't just buy the cert, you actually have to do the course.

I am not giving my opinion on wether it is right or wrong, I am just saying that it is now the law, like it or not.

Having a go at a riding instructor is not going to change the law.
    I gave mick smyth from wexford and Paul De, Courcyfrom Waterford a call last night they seem alright paul is a little pricier but he was offering one to one at whatever level suited Don’t get me wrong I not against a bit of training and everyone has to make a living but that guy just gloated on the fact it was compulsory and he call the shots and would charge what he likes and be grateful for it, I think you get the picture I just felt sorry for a young guy that didn’t know any better

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lordspectre

as above you should go back get a refresher course.IBT course looking at €480 for it all.You need to have the cert to apply for your full test also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I gave mick smyth from wexford and Paul De, Courcyfrom Waterford a call last night they seem alright paul is a little pricier but he was offering one to one at whatever level suited Don’t get me wrong I not against a bit of training and everyone has to make a living but that guy just gloated on the fact it was compulsory and he call the shots and would charge what he likes and be grateful for it, I think you get the picture I just felt sorry for a young guy that didn’t know any better

I think you are missing the point, the young guy as you say, does not know that when you started , you could get a provisional and go out and ride a large cc bike with no training what so ever, which was madness, but he can't , he accepts that , and goes and does his training.
    It is the world we live in now, I was in the same position you are in now five years ago , but I chose to do some training as I realised my mortality, and am still alive because I got some professional training.
    don't shoot the messenger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

This thread is going nowhere.

As I said yesterday, having a go at someone on the internet will not get you very far.

Thread locked.

If anyone feels that they want me to reopen the thread, please fell free to PM me with your reasons why.

Thank you.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement