Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I swap a graphics card?

Options
  • 25-02-2012 2:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Last week, I stupidly downloaded Assassin's Creed II onto my current laptop, an emachines E732Z, without checking whether it would run properly on it. Having tried to play the game, I found that it didn't. I did a belated compatability test, and it seems the graphics card is the only issue. It's an Intel (R) HD Graphics card. I have an older Dell that runs slower than an asmathic snail and I was planning to dump it. However, I was thinking I could move its graphics card over to the emachine. The graphics card in the Dell is an Nvidia GeForce Go 8600/256MB. From looking about, it seems like it would meet the spec for the game. Unfortunately, the Dell is so slow at this stage I can't even run the test on it.

Anyway, is it possible to transfer the Dell card to my emachine. And, as I'm useless at this kind of thing, would it cost much to do so?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Unfortunately no, it looks like it can't be upgraded because it is an integrated graphics chip,
    i.e. mounted directly onto the motherboard.
    Graphics Integrated (Intel® GMA X4500 3D Graphics with up to 384MB Shared Memory)

• Registered Users Posts: 83,206 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Moon54 wrote: »
    Unfortunately no, it looks like it can't be upgraded because it is an integrated graphics chip,
    i.e. mounted directly onto the motherboard.
    Graphics Integrated (Intel® GMA X4500 3D Graphics with up to 384MB Shared Memory)
    Other way. Yes you can move the nvidia card into the emachine

Advertisement