Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moving house C&C

• 25-02-2012 9:01am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭

With all the wonderful HDR's I've sen the past week I just had to try it for myself.
    They all look so wonderful and dreamy and amazing and awesome and creative and so well done!!

6927809997_7a172e18a2_b.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Is that her ? It looks so realistic, you must have had a very light touch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

i like this image damn it

:(

go on, poke fun at the slow guy :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

This OP is ironic right?! Ah yes I'm seeing the other threads now!... Nice work ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭dirtyghettokid

i think i'm going to have to start wearing sunglasses when looking at this forum :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Is this fukushima?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

The house is trying to escape being caught in this image!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Escape from what???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

pete4130 wrote: »
    Escape from what???

A nuclear storm, obviously!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

I find the red flag on the left a big distraction. A tighter crop would be a big improvement......

mmm....I get the impression people are being facetious towards my efforts?

I thought these were the "in" type images that people loved and appreciated. Sure everyone seems to be doing them, not as good as this example obviously, so they must be good....right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

... so they must be good....right?

No.

Xia, It's 2013, the digital era. This is futuristic photography. Lets shun the old analogue dinosaurs and embrace out technological brotherhood and the new techniquues and styles that come with it. HDR is the way forward. Even the new Nikon D4 has a HDR multiple exposure setting in camera to blend images, so if it come straight out of a digital camera before processing then its still a RAW image and not a post processed HDR. It's as pure as any 35mm exposure no matter what militant analogue photographers might say.

The digital era is proof that HDR and in camera processing is the way forward. Cameras are so smart these days that anyone can just pick one up and take a great photo like the one I posted. It shows that technology has proved the years of learning stuff the old fashioned way can be cut short with modern cameras and snapping away can get just as good results as the old timers who always tell us "shooting a film type camera with an antiquated non auto focus lens, allows them more time to concentrate on the image."

In this day and age its about quantity. My camera can take 11 shots per second so I'm bound to get a good photo if its taking pictures that fast. I don't understand the "M" setting too much but thats why they have the "P" setting and all those AUTO and SCENE settings so you just concentrate on what you see and not all the technical stuff that people go on about.

People that still shoot film are clinging on to the last hope of photographic exclusivity. Sure what pro nowadays would shoot film??

My point is this image shows so much more detail in the scene and has such strong colours and dramatic tonal range that its hard not to find impressive. A non tonemapped/non HDR or analogue image would look boring in comparison in my opinion. Everything just stands out so much with HDR type images.

HDR's never, ever cease to amaze me on so many levels. Thanks for the comments guys. I've taken everything on board that you've said and can only hope that you do the same with my great advice!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

:D
    And there is me thinking it's 2012 :o

I like your wink even if you don't show it in form of a smiley (or is that so yesterday?) - like the one I didn't show in my answer.

The good thing about art in any form: everyone has a different taste and there are tools for every taste but not everyone has to use all those tools...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Xia, It's 2013, the digital era. This is futuristic photography. Lets shun the old analogue dinosaurs and embrace out technological brotherhood and the new techniquues and styles that come with it. HDR is the way forward. Even the new Nikon D4 has a HDR multiple exposure setting in camera to blend images, so if it come straight out of a digital camera before processing then its still a RAW image and not a post processed HDR. It's as pure as any 35mm exposure no matter what militant analogue photographers might say.

The digital era is proof that HDR and in camera processing is the way forward. Cameras are so smart these days that anyone can just pick one up and take a great photo like the one I posted. It shows that technology has proved the years of learning stuff the old fashioned way can be cut short with modern cameras and snapping away can get just as good results as the old timers who always tell us "shooting a film type camera with an antiquated non auto focus lens, allows them more time to concentrate on the image."

In this day and age its about quantity. My camera can take 11 shots per second so I'm bound to get a good photo if its taking pictures that fast. I don't understand the "M" setting too much but thats why they have the "P" setting and all those AUTO and SCENE settings so you just concentrate on what you see and not all the technical stuff that people go on about.

People that still shoot film are clinging on to the last hope of photographic exclusivity. Sure what pro nowadays would shoot film??

My point is this image shows so much more detail in the scene and has such strong colours and dramatic tonal range that its hard not to find impressive. A non tonemapped/non HDR or analogue image would look boring in comparison in my opinion. Everything just stands out so much with HDR type images.

HDR's never, ever cease to amaze me on so many levels. Thanks for the comments guys. I've taken everything on board that you've said and can only hope that you do the same with my great advice!!!!

I completely disagree.

Photography, like most things, is not about quantity, but quality.
    Yes we live in a digital age, and HDR is an aspect of that, but it still needs a "good" eye and the right image to stand out from every other HDR shot.

Cameras still havent (and probably wont) reach the level of the human eye when processing an image, they still work in taking average light readings - dark areas , light areas.
    Thats why you still need to learn about exposure and shutter speeds, even with a digital camera, theres just so many situations where setting the camera to "Auto", just wont get you a good image or the image you wanted, especially in low light

A good photographer who learns about exposure etc can take any camera, a point and click or a camera phone and still take much better picture than most of us than using a 1000 euro camera

Think about it - why do people still like black and white pictures when we have had colour for so long?

Its all about the image, I agree it doesnt have to be techinally correct but the subject matter, the composition, the emotion a good picture can invoke, are very important even if its slight blurred or too dark in one corner.

Your image is very bright and shows the possibilitys if used one the RIGHT image.
    But your image says nothing to me, it doesnt grab me emotionally in any way, theres nothing to focus on and you are left wondering what exactly is the picture?

So I wouldnt be so quick to dis the mechanics of photography, you need a method of transfering the picture you see in your head to making an image and taking a 1000 snap shots isnt going to do that for anyone but you.
    Otherwise they are just snapshots

Personally I love the way we can now photoshop and make some really mad images, but I also appreciate the pure skill and dedication of getting up at 4am to capture natures perfect light and the producing an emotion that is not so artificial and close to a painters eye

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Diabhal_Glas

Troll-face1.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Brilliant post, Pete, I completely agree with you. i am soo looking forward to the day when cameras will be able to communicate wirelessly with my medulla oblongata. That way, I can just capture an image in my head, and get it fully HDRed etc out of the camera!

Look at all the stuff I wont need! tripods, flash heads, rf triggers, batteries, and all those various little bits & pieces that are never to be found when you need them .

No training or study required, and my creative flow will be completely unfettered by considerations of side issues like exposure, focus, etc. And if after all that I somehow get it not quite right, I'll be able to just think "hmm, wish I had a bit more bokeh blur there..." & the camera will do it straight away!

Advertisement