Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

your favourite star wars movies

• 25-02-2012 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭

this should be fun. list your favourite movies , 1 being your favourite 6 being your least favourite.
    1. return of the jedi.
    2 empire strikes back
    3 a new hope
    4 revenge of the sith
    5 attack of the clones
    6 phantom menace.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭downwithpeace

1 Empire Strikes Back
    2 Return of the Jedi
    3 A New Hope
    4 Revenge of the Sith
    5 Attack of the Clones
    6 Phantom Menace

I would think there's almost universal agreement on the 4-5 picks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Well that's easy...

1) Empire Strikes Back
    2) Return Of The Jedi
    3) A New Hope
    4) Revenge Of The Sith
    5) Attack Of The Clones

Yep, that's all of them :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The P*****m M****e

I'm surprised that Jedi is so high up in the previous posters' lists. While I have great memories of it from my youth, with the passage of time it's appeal has diminished. There are parts that I absolutely love and some parts that just wreck my head. The Ewoks are mainly to blame for the latter but I'd still take them any day over the special edition version of Sy Snootles. :eek::eek: That's the lowest point of the OT for me.

Also, Harrison Ford plays Han Solo like a different character in this compared to the previous films. The wit and cockiness are gone, replaced by a very ham-fisted performance. Same with Leia although apparently Carrie Fisher admitted she was practically stoned throughout the film.

It's Luke, Vader and Palpatine which save it for me. Every scene with the three of them in it is utterly brilliant but possibly the best one is where Luke finally meets Vader on Endor....mesmerising stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

1. Empire Strikes Back
    2. A New Hope
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. Return of the Jedi
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. The P*****m M****e

I'm surprised that Jedi is so high up in the previous posters' lists. While I have great memories of it from my youth, with the passage of time it's appeal has diminished. There are parts that I absolutely love and some parts that just wreck my head. The Ewoks are mainly to blame for the latter but I'd still take them any day over the special edition version of Sy Snootles. :eek::eek: That's the lowest point of the OT for me.

Also, Harrison Ford plays Han Solo like a different character in this compared to the previous films. The wit and cockiness are gone, replaced by a very ham-fisted performance. Same with Leia although apparently Carrie Fisher admitted she was practically stoned throughout the film.

It's Luke, Vader and Palpatine which save it for me. Every scene with the three of them in it is utterly brilliant but possibly the best one is where Luke finally meets Vader on Endor....mesmerising stuff.

I like Return of the Jedi a lot, & I actually don't even mind the Ewoks. As you mention, the scenes with Vader, Luke & the Emperor are just incredible...I still get goosebumps watching the sabre fight with the Emperors theme playing...the battle to get the shield down, the space battle too all running concurrently. Absolutely love it.

My 9 year old thinks its the best of the saga...says a lot for the 'appealing to kids' direction for the prequels.

EnterNow wrote: »
    I still get goosebumps watching the sabre fight with the Emperors theme playing....

Same here, it's a real highlight. That other scene I mentioned on Endor, I love the fact that Luke reaches out to Vader and for a moment you think he succeeds before Vader says 'It is too late for me, son...' It's such a poignant moment, you can hear the sadness in Vader's voice.

Just going back to the Ewoks for a second, they don't grate in the way Jar Jar does. I just wished they had done it on Kashykk instead. The Wookies could have done some serious damage! I know we eventually saw them in Revenge of the Sith but that battle was far too short in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 551 ✭✭✭meanmachine3

I'm surprised that Jedi is so high up in the previous posters' lists.
    firstly when i put the jedi at the top of my list i should've included that it was the original version not the remastered crap.
    there are a number of reasons why this is at the top of my list first and foremost being it's soundtrack. while the other movies have great soundtracks jedi is miles ahead especially when it comes to the fight scenes. most people would probably disagree with me on this but taking out nub nub was like taking away a part of someones body. it's not complete unless the original parts are all there. which moves me onto my next and most poignant point. to me Sebastian shaw will always be the true face of darth vader.( i had the pleasure of having a long chat with david prowse about this a few years back when he was at the toys for big boys show and he was 100% in total agreement with me on this one). when vader asks luke to help him take his mask of. thats got to be one of the most touching scenes in the whole saga.
    the biggest downside to the movie is that boba fett got killed off to quickly and early .
    well according to all other books dengar saves/rescues him from the sarlacc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

1 Empire stikes back
    2 A new hope
    3 Revenge of the Sith
    4 Return of the Jedi
    5 Attack of the clones
    6 The phantom menace

Attack of the clones is the worst film but there is only one film that has disappointed me more then Menace (Being Indy 4). I was just gutted coming out of it. Clones was very poor but i knew what to expect at that stage and i got a real surprise about how much i enjoyed Sith.

I kind if agree about Return of the Jedi being weak enough but ad a kid it was by far my fav so i do remember it fondly.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭49ers fan

1. A New Hope, The Original and the best people, started it all,
    The Soundtrack, Kenner Figures, Millenium Falcon;)
    2. Empire Strikes Back, very close second....
    3. ROTJ.
    4. Revenge of the Sith
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. Phantom Menace:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

1.Empire
    2.Jedi
    3.A New Hope
    4.Clones
    5.Sith
    6.Phantom.

ziedth wrote: »
    1 Empire stikes back
    2 A new hope
    3 Revenge of the Sith
    4 Return of the Jedi
    5 Attack of the clones
    6 The phantom menace

Attack of the clones is the worst film but there is only one film that has disappointed me more then Menace (Being Indy 4). I was just gutted coming out of it. Clones was very poor but i knew what to expect at that stage and i got a real surprise about how much i enjoyed Sith.

I kind if agree about Return of the Jedi being weak enough but ad a kid it was by far my fav so i do remember it fondly.

I think that's a good point. I was 10 when it came out and by that age I had a better grasp of what was going on. Plus the fact that it was the last film in the trilogy means that I obviously have more memories of it. I can recall the whole buzz at the time and that's also when I started to buy the Marvel comics which I still have to this day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

1 ESB
    2 ANH
    3 ROTS/ROTJ

5 AOTC
    6 TPM

The Phantom Menace isn't even a necessary evil, it's just b****x.

Attack of the Clones has some good bits that are just badly done and then ROTS is actually pretty enjoyable and I think is on a par with ROTJ.

Empire Strikes Back is just brillant.

I wish the prequel triology had been done differently. Instead of the The Phantom Menace I'd have loved a film going further back showing Palpatine's back story, Revenge Of The Sith then could have been the second film in the triology followed by a third film covering the events between ROTS and ANH showing Vader crushing the remants of the Jedi, the Rise of the Empire and giving us an insight into Luke's life on Tatooine and Leia on Alderaan.

Are we ever getting this Live Action TV show?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Sindri

bilston wrote: »
    I wish the prequel triology had been done differently. Instead of the The Phantom Menace I'd have loved a film going further back showing Palpatine's back story, Revenge Of The Sith then could have been the second film in the triology followed by a third film covering the events between ROTS and ANH showing Vader crushing the remants of the Jedi, the Rise of the Empire and giving us an insight into Luke's life on Tatooine and Leia on Alderaan.

That would have been class! Lucas was supposed to make 6 prequels any way.

Sindri wrote: »
    That would have been class! Lucas was supposed to make 6 prequels any way.

Are you sure about that, I thought it's 3 prequels, 3 originals, 3 sequels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Are you sure about that, I thought it's 3 prequels, 3 originals, 3 sequels.

That has always been said and in many ways it makes perfect sense but I don't think Lucas has ever confirmed that was the plan.

I would love for the sequels to be announced. I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling I got for the phantom menace trailer when I first say other in the cinema.

That has always been said and in many ways it makes perfect sense but I don't think Lucas has ever confirmed that was the plan.

I would love for the sequels to be announced. I don't think I'll ever forget the feeling I got for the phantom menace trailer when I first say other in the cinema.

I don't think he ever confirmed it either, he might have even downplayed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

1 The Empire strikes back
    2 A New Hope
    3 Return of the Jedi
    4 Revenge of the Sith
    5/6 Toss Up Attack of the Clones/The Phantom Menace both rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

The general consensus around seems to be that the same films are preferred across the board and in the same order.

My own personal preference (in order from favourite to least favourite):

The Empire Strikes Back

A New Hope

Return Of The Jedi

Revenge Of The Sith

The Phantom Menace

Attack Of The Clones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Relikk

Empire Strikes Back
    A New Hope
    Return Of The Jedi
    Revenge Of The Sith
    Attack Of The Clones
    Phantom Menace

The OT are some of my favourite movies of all-time (ESB being my favourite movie ever) but, the prequels are an abomination in comparison and none of them would make it into the top 500 movies I've seen in my entire life. Terrible movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Happy tonight then??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

1 The Empire strikes back
    2 A New Hope
    3 Return of the Jedi

4 Revenge of the Sith

5/6 Attack of the Clones/The Phantom Menace

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

1. Empire - Dark, AT-ATs, Luke/Vader scenes (reveal)
    2. Sith - Dark, Order 66, tidied up a lot, saved the second trilogy
    3. A New Hope - Opening scene, music
    4. Clones - Dark, Anakin on speeder scene
    5. Jedi - Luke/Vader scenes, final battle
    6. Phantom - Pod race, Maul and some fantastic music

1 is clear winner, 2-5 not that much in it, 6 is really not that bad.
    I obviously like the darker ones.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

bilston wrote: »
    Are we ever getting this Live Action TV show?

According to Lucas it's basically all wrote but the technology is not yet there.

Advertisement