Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭del777

just wondering if anybody has any advice for us.. my boyfriend has been in and out of work for the past I dont know how many years.. he is trying to finish an apprenticeship in metal fabrication but just cant get the work to complete it so we have decided to take the plunge... Do you think not having his papers will stand against him over there if he goes for welding/steel fixing jobs??? Anybody else in this situation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

just paid there by online transfer, but i've no receipt or anything, what now????:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

just paid there by online transfer, but i've no receipt or anything, what now????:confused:

any way of contacting the bank see if they can help you out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

I am still tossing up where to go. I really dunno :/

The driving thing is doing my nut in. I wanna be able to drive, I have like 11 years driving, but not on full licence (I will have full by the time I go over though). I don't mind if I am not entitled to do the G2 (or equiv) right away, If I have to to the G1 (or equiv) I'll be ok (as long as I dont' have to wait forever after that to sit the advanced test). But I don't wanna be back on a class 7 where I can't go nowhere and need someone in the damn car. That just ain't gonna work. Urgh that's stressful

hdowney wrote: »
    I am still tossing up where to go. I really dunno :/

The driving thing is doing my nut in. I wanna be able to drive, I have like 11 years driving, but not on full licence (I will have full by the time I go over though). I don't mind if I am not entitled to do the G2 (or equiv) right away, If I have to to the G1 (or equiv) I'll be ok (as long as I dont' have to wait forever after that to sit the advanced test). But I don't wanna be back on a class 7 where I can't go nowhere and need someone in the damn car. That just ain't gonna work. Urgh that's stressful

Hmmm I never even thought of this! :( What is G1 & G2? If you have a full Irish licence are you ok to drive in Canada??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

del777 wrote: »
    Hmmm I never even thought of this! :( What is G1 & G2? If you have a full Irish licence are you ok to drive in Canada??

yeah with a full license you're grand, not sure what G1 and G2 is either though

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Quick question for those who have got their conditional offer letters already:

Roughly what date did you put for planned travel?

I put down that I was looking to go in July (which is correct) so I'm wondering now are they doing it by travel date and will it be likely that I'll get my letter after all the people who are saying March, April, May, June.

I know there's no way to tell, I was just wondering out of interest! If you guys who have got the forms already put March.... I could be right!! :)

I applied on Wed, only paid there on Monday and had my verification of payment 4 hours or so later. So maybe it is just random!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CBCB2

Yeah with a full licence you are able to drive in Canada for up to 6 months (it does vary by province though).

I think if you have a full licence you can skip to G2 and don't have to do the G1. If you have a UK licence it's a straight swap to a Canadian one without the tests. I had looked into it, the thread's here:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056804968

But I don't think it's a worker. As it's still going to be classed as a new licence. I think I'm going to go with my Irish one and show that I have 9 years full licence. If I've to do the test so be it!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Just regards driving lads I know 2 fellas there. 1 had full Irish license going over and 1 had UK. They both have to restart applications for license as full Irish is only within EU. The uk is slightly easier due to commonwealth. But your full license is only good on rental cars with some insurance thing they can do that allows you drive.

For what it worth this is in Calgary

yeah with a full license you're grand, not sure what G1 and G2 is either though

I am reading conflicting things on the Irish licence. Like you have to have had a full for two years and then convert it to a Can one. But different parts of Can have slightly different rules so it complicates matters. G1 and G2 are levels of test in Alberta for driving. (I think it's alberta, it might be Vancouver or Toronto that call them G's but the premise is the same all over Can - I get confused cos I be reading all three since I don't know yet where I am going!) Theirs is more complex than our Learner Permit then Full licence. Check this out:

http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/Drivers_Licence.cfm#Back_To_Top

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Suarez20

still no sign yet, paid with ulster bank friday said it would go through monday, when should i start panicking? have until the 8th to pay

CBCB2 wrote: »
    Yeah with a full licence you are able to drive in Canada for up to 6 months (it does vary by province though).

I think if you have a full licence you can skip to G2 and don't have to do the G1. If you have a UK licence it's a straight swap to a Canadian one without the tests. I had looked into it, the thread's here:

But I don't think it's a worker. As it's still going to be classed as a new licence. I think I'm going to go with my Irish one and show that I have 9 years full licence. If I've to do the test so be it!

Yea see I have 10 years driving exp, 7 years no claims, but I will only have my full about 1 year heading to Can. I am hoping that by getting the driving exp from the Motor Tax and it saying 10 years, and by having the 7 years no claims they might let me away, even telling me to do the G1 test would be preferable to having to start at the beginning, cos you have to have the class 7 for like 2 years before you can sit the test to go up a class!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭saggart26

Muffinman1 wrote: »
    Just regards driving lads I know 2 fellas there. 1 had full Irish license going over and 1 had UK. They both have to restart applications for license as full Irish is only within EU. The uk is slightly easier due to commonwealth. But your full license is only good on rental cars with some insurance thing they can do that allows you drive.

For what it worth this is in Calgary

Get an international licence before you head over. Its valid for a year. Once i had that, i had no problem getting plates in BC. I had the car for 12 months

saggart26 wrote: »
    Get an international licence before you head over. Its valid for a year. Once i had that, i had no problem getting plates in BC. I had the car for 12 months

Is that the international driving permit?? Its only €10 according to RSA so will defo get one before heading over!! :)http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Driving-abroad---where-do-I-need-an-international-license/

God I didn't realise that! How annoying!

Well I planning on using public transport over there and won't be driving for while. Plus in calgary I heard rush hour traffic is ridiculous so maybe will see alternatives be in cycling or walking etc. Just want to get visa ASAP before I worry about them things

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I can drive, was driving for 2 years and never bothered getting my full licence. No claims either. I suppose the Irish provisional licence won't get me far?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Black_shadow

Well I planning on using public transport over there and won't be driving for while. Plus in calgary I heard rush hour traffic is ridiculous so maybe will see alternatives be in cycling or walking etc. Just want to get visa ASAP before I worry about them things

I am 24 and i dont have a driving licence, kind of feel shammed but i think i will prob end up getting a bike over there and cycle since the weather will be nicer etc, roll on the good times ahead :D!

just wondering if anybody has any advice for us.. my boyfriend has been in and out of work for the past I dont know how many years.. he is trying to finish an apprenticeship in metal fabrication but just cant get the work to complete it so we have decided to take the plunge... Do you think not having his papers will stand against him over there if he goes for welding/steel fixing jobs??? Anybody else in this situation?

Anybody any thoughts on this?? Thanks :)

I am 24 and i dont have a driving licence, kind of feel shammed but i think i will prob end up getting a bike over there and cycle since the weather will be nicer etc, roll on the good times ahead :D!
    Have full license for 6 years but have heard bicycle tracks are superb and it best way to travel.

Just side question re Proof of Payment. Is deadline date for uploading required info or been verified by them. Like fact I here waiting it isn't my fault as I done all I was asked.

• Advertisement

Question on this. Can I use the International Licence for the duration of my time in Can assuming I just stay the 2 years of the IEC permit (I know that an International one only lasts 1 year, but you could apply for a second!) or do I need to change to a Can licence at some point? Cos I think the international would help a LOT

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭celticwe

Question on this. Can I use the International Licence for the duration of my time in Can assuming I just stay the 2 years of the IEC permit (I know that an International one only lasts 1 year, but you could apply for a second!) or do I need to change to a Can licence at some point? Cos I think the international would help a LOT
    Absolutely not.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 thumps

Quick question for those who have got their conditional offer letters already:

Roughly what date did you put for planned travel?

I put down that I was looking to go in July (which is correct) so I'm wondering now are they doing it by travel date and will it be likely that I'll get my letter after all the people who are saying March, April, May, June.

I know there's no way to tell, I was just wondering out of interest! If you guys who have got the forms already put March.... I could be right!! :)

I applied on Wed, only paid there on Monday and had my verification of payment 4 hours or so later. So maybe it is just random!

has anyone even received a conditional letter yet. i d highly doubt it

I'm taking my bike with me on the plane too. It'll be great to cycle over there! I wont bother getting a car if I can avoid it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Sure ya can always chance driving and if you get stopped ya can see if the luck of the irish is true;) worked for me in nyc:D

I'd recommend getting a car if possible, not for the city but for the countryside. I had some epic journeys driving through BC and Alberta in my 1980 $600 volvo estate. The car even made it down to Nevada and back up to Whistler! Camping in the Rockies during the summer months and ski resort hopping during winter were by far the most memorable experiences of my life. Can’t wait to head back! Trying Toronto this time round

• Registered Users Posts: 38 mexican council of food

thumps wrote: »
    has anyone even received a conditional letter yet. i d highly doubt it

one guy has and he posted a screengrab of it and all its a few pages back!

celticwe wrote: »
    Absolutely not.

Ok that was a very short answer. Could you clarify perhaps how long I am allowed to drive on the international before I need to change to Can then????

Ok that was a very short answer. Could you clarify perhaps how long I am allowed to drive on the international before I need to change to Can then????

http://www.rsa.ie/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Driving-abroad---where-do-I-need-an-international-license/

1 year from date of issue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

am i right in thinking if i get the visa, i have 1 year to activate it, then 1's i get to canada and its activated i will be able to stay in canada for 24 months. when i applied i had about 18 months left on my passport. if i get my passport renewed before i go will i be able to stay for the full 24 months

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement