Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Someone will be along to help ya mate i am applying for my first time i have my cic account set up already just waiting for it to open. where ya in canada how ya finding it

In Nova Scotia, it's lovely. People are great, pace is laid back, crazy snow at the moment, it's all good :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Yea i have looked into work there in the electrical game up there but think i am gonna hit Calgary for a while deffo going to try to get up to nova scotia in the summer for the fishing:)

Land of 1,000 lakes, it's unreal. Good for skating on too!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

In Nova Scotia, it's lovely. People are great, pace is laid back, crazy snow at the moment, it's all good :-)

Ooh tell me more about NS, I am trying to pick the right place to go to so all info from people on the ground is cool. What is it like for work there (in general like, not specific to industry or anything)? I am guessing they do winter! is summer good there? Is there much of a life there - nightlife, activities, things to do, places to go etc? Also housing etc, easy enough to procure? costly etc.

Sorry for the hounding and good luck sorting yourself

A bit like cavan so?:P

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    Ooh tell me more about NS, I am trying to pick the right place to go to so all info from people on the ground is cool. What is it like for work there (in general like, not specific to industry or anything)? I am guessing they do winter! is summer good there? Is there much of a life there - nightlife, activities, things to do, places to go etc? Also housing etc, easy enough to procure? costly etc.

Sorry for the hounding and good luck sorting yourself

Work is good, I'm on 8.30-4.30, I like that!
    Rent is reasonable, $500 a month, the houses are lovely, the city is small, it's lovely in the summer, the harbour is lovely and lively.
    I'm adjusting to the temps and the snow at the moment!! There's free skating now in the park for a few months, skates and helmets provided, it's brilliant. Shovelling snow is a good workout too!
    I haven't met any Irish people here, so I'm on my own if anyone wants to join me!
    Denis Ryan is here, the fella from Tipp who was raving about the bankers on YouTube last year, I've met him a good few times, he's a howl.
    Nightlife is good and the main activities are on the lakes, rowing, water skiing, there's no mountains nearby really. A bit of a ski hill somewhere but I haven't found it yet.
    Cape Breton and PEI are very scenic and lovely drives from Halifax, nice treks and quite Celtic too.
    People are very very nice though and that's what makes it. Lots of great folk from Newfoundland here and they're pure dotes.

Roots canada i might be up that way i will deffo give you a shout where are you Halifax ?

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Roots canada i might be up that way i will deffo give you a shout where are you Halifax ?

Yes I'm in Halifax, definitely make contact if you're making the journey.
    I have passed my driving test here so I have wheels too :-)

Passing my test there is a must for me! Only issue I have is the whole no claims. People keep saying about bringing proof of your Irish no claims, but I am not sure I can do that since I plan on keeping my Irish insurance for the two years (just incase I go home at the end the IEC like! and the mammy is on the policy and will be drivin the car) so I don't know if I'll be able to get proof to bring and the likes!

Thanks for the info on NS btw

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭minnow12

Whats work like there (pub and admin)?? I'm in edmonton at the mo and not all that keen to be honest..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Spiderlfc

Would you mind showing the exact link for this.
    I can't see anything open for business yet or any of these criteria.

Hey,

Just to remind you it's not open, it will however let you register some details on My CIC

I had an issue yesterday trying to get through the site but Id imagine it was just the amount of people on it at one time, around 4pm PST all started to work for me.

Basically I registered through the below link and selected GCKEY as I don't have a bank account with the providers, I do however have a government Client ID which you will find on your passport if your on your 1 st year visa.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/mycic.asp

Register on this page (Left Hand Corner) and this will bring you through to my CXC, you need to enter some 'secret questions' and then it asks you for your client ID (Can't remember which one first)

You will then see an icon for 'Apply On-line'

I selected this and followed the instructions, it seems like the 'Welcome to Canada' Questionnaire is included there when following the steps.

I'm at the stage where I can upload my documents but am holding off for further instruction.

Hope this helps

hdowney wrote: »
    Passing my test there is a must for me! Only issue I have is the whole no claims. People keep saying about bringing proof of your Irish no claims, but I am not sure I can do that since I plan on keeping my Irish insurance for the two years (just incase I go home at the end the IEC like! and the mammy is on the policy and will be drivin the car) so I don't know if I'll be able to get proof to bring and the likes!

Thanks for the info on NS btw

It's easy to pass the test, but like anything, it's a bit of anxiety in advance as you don't know what to expect.
    Insurance is very expensive, $950 with the test and no claims, $2,000 without it.
    Ask your insurance company for it, it's worth having.

It's easy to pass the test, but like anything, it's a bit of anxiety in advance as you don't know what to expect.
    Insurance is very expensive, $950 with the test and no claims, $2,000 without it.
    Ask your insurance company for it, it's worth having.

Do you think they'd give it to me? Do I say I just want a copy of my no claims info or do I tell them why I want it? Cos obv I am not cancelling the insurance here, and will continue to accrue no claims. I think I am on 7 years as of this years renewal.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

makita wrote: »
    Yeah did it work for you?

Yeah it worked for me, can't think why its not working for yourself?

You're using the UCI from the top of your original LOI?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭makita

Tonto86 wrote: »

Yeah it worked for me, can't think why its not working for yourself?

You're using the UCI from the top of your original LOI?
    Yeah the 8 digit number on the LOI is there anything else you can fill in after that piece?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I am WAY too confused.

This CIC thing, is it essential for getting a visa?

They need to do seminars on this stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Gintonious wrote: »
    I am WAY too confused.

This CIC thing, is it essential for getting a visa?

They need to do seminars on this stuff!
    It reasons like this Usit and Go4Less make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Guys can i just ask what sign up option are you guys here in ireland using?Sign-In Partner or GCKey Login.Also do i need the 8 digit number on the LOI from last year for filling up the forums?.Any info would be great i am totally lost;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I registered and got as far as uploading the documentation, which I need to get scanned. So far, so good, it's a piece of pi55........

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

seamus1980 wrote: »
    Guys can i just ask what sign up option are you guys here in ireland using?Sign-In Partner or GCKey Login.Also do i need the 8 digit number on the LOI from last year for filling up the forums?.Any info would be great i am totally lost;)
    Most in Ireland will have to use GCKey as we don't have Canadian info but all this stuff is pointless at the moment as stage 1 has to be completed before stage 2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭minnow12

seachto7 wrote: »
    I registered and got as far as uploading the documentation, which I need to get scanned. So far, so good, it's a piece of pi55........
    So... I' m in Canada, applying for 2nd visa. Set up the CIC accoutn BUT... if I put in that my country of residence is Canada (as per the instructons in the help button), it brings me to the application page for the Temporary Resident Visa. If however, I enter Ireland as my current country of residence, it brings me to International Experience Canada. The forms are all the same as last year ettc, the only difference appears to be that there isn;t an option to upload Garda clearance forms.
    Very confused. Should I apply for the IEC visa? Or should I apply for the Temporary Resident Visa. I've tried all the other options too, but these appear to be the most likely. Is the secong one a new version of the IEC for 2nd time applicants?? OR should I apply for the IEC even though my country of residence will be wrong. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

I'm having issues with the digital image that's required. I already had some passport photos done but now I see we will have to upload a digital image. Can I just scan the passport photo and if so, what do I need to consider in order to comply with the requirements?

I thought scanning would turn out to be hassle and that i would just mess it up so I went into a pharmacy to do it properly. He seems to understand the spec yet the image he produced seems quite big. I don't mean in terms of memory but I mean it seems to show more of my body than a passport photo would for example

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I'm having issues with the digital image that's required. I already had some passport photos done but now I see we will have to upload a digital image. Can I just scan the passport photo and if so, what do I need to consider in order to comply with the requirements?

I thought scanning would turn out to be hassle and that i would just mess it up so I went into a pharmacy to do it properly. He seems to understand the spec yet the image he produced seems quite big. I don't mean in terms of memory but I mean it seems to show more of my body than a passport photo would for example

Get a regular sized passport photo and scan it then upload. As long as the photo itself is the proper dimensions you'll be grand :)
    Make sure the scanned image is the same size as the real one.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

minnow12 wrote: »
    So... I' m in Canada, applying for 2nd visa. Set up the CIC accoutn BUT... if I put in that my country of residence is Canada (as per the instructons in the help button), it brings me to the application page for the Temporary Resident Visa. If however, I enter Ireland as my current country of residence, it brings me to International Experience Canada. The forms are all the same as last year ettc, the only difference appears to be that there isn;t an option to upload Garda clearance forms.
    Very confused. Should I apply for the IEC visa? Or should I apply for the Temporary Resident Visa. I've tried all the other options too, but these appear to be the most likely. Is the secong one a new version of the IEC for 2nd time applicants?? OR should I apply for the IEC even though my country of residence will be wrong. :eek:

Im having the exact same issue.

WasterEx wrote: »
    Get a regular sized passport photo and scan it then upload. As long as the photo itself is the proper dimensions you'll be grand :)
    Make sure the scanned image is the same size as the real one.

Well it scanned fine but when I open up the jpeg, its like a white sheet with my photo in the centre. Is the big white area around the photo going to be a problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

try opening the jpeg up in paint and cut out the photo paste into new paint document then resize area around photo (the white area in paint) then save as jpeg and check photo size.

thanks.i will give that a go.just wondering though when i scan the passport photo, could the compression that happens alter the pixels per inch? therefore making it outside of the required spec?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭seamus1980

Hi guys while registering it ask,s me if(you must indicate if you have ever applied for a service (e.g. a study permit or work permit) either by paper or electronically from Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC).

Which i have,what number do i enter is it my is it my UCI number?also where do i enter it?thanks

I gave you wrong info earlier. I got this from the myCIC.

Digital Photo

Dimensions:
    The final frame size of the photo must be at least 35 mm x 45 mm (1 3/8" x 1 ¾").
    The photographs must show the full front view of the head, with the face in the middle of the photograph, and include the top of the shoulders.
    The size of the head, from chin to crown, must be between 31 mm (1 ¼") and 36 mm (1 7/16").
    Digital dimensions are often expressed in pixels or DPI (dots per inch). The physical dimensions in pixels must be at least 420 x 540.
    Quality/Resolution:
    If an existing photo is being scanned, the minimum resolution must be 600 pixels per inch.
    File Format:
    The file may be submitted in JPEG or JPEG2000 format.
    File Size:
    The final size of the image should be ideally 240 kB (kilobytes), but not less than 60 kB.
    Colour:
    The image must be in color (24 bits per pixel) in sRGB colour space which is the common output for most digital cameras.

• Advertisement

Also the myCIC is updated, it now requests you to upload the following.

IEC Conditional Acceptance Letter

CV/Resume

Passport or travel document

Digital Photo

Family Information Form IMM5707

Police Certificate

There's a few new ones there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement