Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

try search on skyscanner.net or look up airline canadian affair (air transat)

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

Cream Bun wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend who to book flights with to vancouver? i was looking them up on a search engine a few weeks ago for july and they seemed reasonable btu cant remember which site it was. I just checked expedia and they are over 1000! they were only a couple of hundred on whatever site i saw them on :)

I looked on Skyscanner.ie You have to click through the link on SkyScanner and not the direct airline. For example,my flights were €340 with Virgin Atlantic one way- but when I tried booking directly with Virgin Atlantic, they were over 1300. BudgetAir.ie and Etravel.ie were offering the same dates at €325 but you couldn't pick your connecting flight time yourself. The €340 includes Dublin to London Heathrow with Aer Lingus. You could pick from flights every hour from 13:00 to 22:00 the day before. I chose an evening flight, airport hotel&breakfast for two £37, nice sleep and few drink before flying direct to Vancouver next day at 14:50. These 3deals were on Skyscanner last week and I had to go with it (even though i'm still waiting on my POE:eek:) as I was in the same boat as yourself for the last month, looking on search engines and they were well over 1000. Aer lingus seemed to have all days at 600one way with a long stopover in Chicago only. I went with Expedia.ie from SkyScanner. The next day I was able to log in to Vrigin Atlantic site and pick my seats, dietary requiremnts (free) and extra luggage (one bag and one hand luggage included in the 340, as well as the Aer lingus flight &luggage from dublin). Virgin Atlantic even have on my flight details that I am connecting from Dublin & the flight number. I assume this means I only check in my luggage in Dublin, though I need to ring and confirm). I'm flying end of May, mid week.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

smitas5 wrote: »
    try search on skyscanner.net or look up airline canadian affair (air transat)

from what I could see, Air transat/canadian affair only fly to toronto or montreal from ireland. could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

2 weeks and still no POE.

The wait continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

meelyb wrote: »
    I looked on Skyscanner.ie You have to click through the link on SkyScanner and not the direct airline. For example,my flights were €340 with Virgin Atlantic one way- but when I tried booking directly with Virgin Atlantic, they were over 1300. BudgetAir.ie and Etravel.ie were offering the same dates at €325 but you couldn't pick your connecting flight time yourself. The €340 includes Dublin to London Heathrow with Aer Lingus. You could pick from flights every hour from 13:00 to 22:00 the day before. I chose an evening flight, airport hotel&breakfast for two £37, nice sleep and few drink before flying direct to Vancouver next day at 14:50. These 3deals were on Skyscanner last week and I had to go with it (even though i'm still waiting on my POE:eek:) as I was in the same boat as yourself for the last month, looking on search engines and they were well over 1000. Aer lingus seemed to have all days at 600one way with a long stopover in Chicago only. I went with Expedia.ie from SkyScanner. The next day I was able to log in to Vrigin Atlantic site and pick my seats, dietary requiremnts (free) and extra luggage (one bag and one hand luggage included in the 340, as well as the Aer lingus flight &luggage from dublin). Virgin Atlantic even have on my flight details that I am connecting from Dublin & the flight number. I assume this means I only check in my luggage in Dublin, though I need to ring and confirm). I'm flying end of May, mid week.

thats great thanks for all the info. Im hoping to fly from Cork and get return for next March so hopefully I will be as lucky as you. You got a great deal!! :D

• Advertisement

meelyb wrote: »
    from what I could see, Air transat/canadian affair only fly to toronto or montreal from ireland. could be wrong.
    They fly to Calgary from Gatwick, Manchester, and Scotland some airport.. There might be 4 th airport too. Flights to UK are ok price I would think..

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Cream Bun

i dont think my computer likes skyscanner.ie! Everytime i open the page my computer crashes its saying 'stop script' aaaargh!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Shanti Shamya

Is 2000 euro enough to take after flights & insurance??? Thats all i got...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

EvilDead13 wrote: »
    This is the reply I got from my member of parliament regarding the processing of applications submitted from within Canada (some of the comments are obviously politically motivated). Also I'm still unsure what applications they are processing right now since he says Jan 21st but further down then says early Feb........I submitted Feb 7th.

1. 7 FEB 2013, your WP application was received by CIC-V – Case Processing Centre Vegreville.

2. Since you are in Canada, and you are a foreign national, your WP application has to be processed outside of Canada.

3. Your application was transferred to New York to be processed.

4. It takes 52 days (call it 2 months) to process.

5. CIC_NY is working on applications received on 21 Jan.

6. Therefore, it’ll take CIC 2 months to GET TO your application.

7. 24 Mar is the Bring-forward date of your file. “Bring-forward date” is the date when CIC will start working on your application again. As a rule of thumb, CIC ask applicants to give them one month before doing a follow-up query.

This is part of the result of the cuts to the budget implemented by the Conservative government since March 2012. That’s why the Canadian mission in Buffalo was closed last July and applications there transferred to CPP_O where they sat for SIX months. Processing for these files are just being processed in Feb. That’s why your application is now in New York.

CIC is indeed following the first-come-first-serve basis in the processing of these applications. But because of the staff reduction, NY is now working on applications received in early Feb. and the queue is taking longer.

Your case is not the first I have to deal with where the applicant has to get a TRV – Visitors’ visa – in order to stay here, but cannot work and wait for the outcome of the WP. I may suggest that CIC is not averse to applicants for WP to volunteer at their work place to keep abreast of what’s happening at “work.” The employer cannot pay them for the volunteerism.

Joyce has all the empathy for your situation, that’s why she’s working so hard to get rid of the Harper conservative government.

Omg, this is informative and very terrifying.
    If it's two months to get to the application and 2 months to process and they're a month behind.... that's June! Yikes.
    It's a soul destroying process really. I've just booked my flight home.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭EvilDead13

Omg, this is informative and very terrifying.
    If it's two months to get to the application and 2 months to process and they're a month behind.... that's June! Yikes.
    It's a soul destroying process really. I've just booked my flight home.

Its 2 months from submission date to get to the application. So 52 days for me is this Sunday coming up for me. I doubt once they are actually reviewing it that it will take another 2 months unless they request additional info and it takes awhile for that to be provided. Who knows. I'm so confused as to what the hell they're doing now.

• Advertisement

OMG did they hear me just now? Maybe my email to the MP did something. Just got this in my email from the NY office!!!!!

Dear applicant,

This is in response to your email below

Processing has begun on your application and it will be finalised shortly.

Regards

Happy days!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Tonto86

This is the reply I got from my member of parliament regarding the processing of applications submitted from within Canada (some of the comments are obviously politically motivated). Also I'm still unsure what applications they are processing right now since he says Jan 21st but further down then says early Feb........I submitted Feb 7th.

1. 7 FEB 2013, your WP application was received by CIC-V – Case Processing Centre Vegreville.

2. Since you are in Canada, and you are a foreign national, your WP application has to be processed outside of Canada.

7. 24 Mar is the Bring-forward date of your file. “Bring-forward date” is the date when CIC will start working on your application again. As a rule of thumb, CIC ask applicants to give them one month before doing a follow-up query.

This is part of the result of the cuts to the budget implemented by the Conservative government since March 2012. That’s why the Canadian mission in Buffalo was closed last July and applications there transferred to CPP_O where they sat for SIX months. Processing for these files are just being processed in Feb. That’s why your application is now in New York.

CIC is indeed following the first-come-first-serve basis in the processing of these applications. But because of the staff reduction, NY is now working on applications received in early Feb. and the queue is taking longer.

Your case is not the first I have to deal with where the applicant has to get a TRV – Visitors’ visa – in order to stay here, but cannot work and wait for the outcome of the WP. I may suggest that CIC is not averse to applicants for WP to volunteer at their work place to keep abreast of what’s happening at “work.” The employer cannot pay them for the volunteerism.

Joyce has all the empathy for your situation, that’s why she’s working so hard to get rid of the Harper conservative government.

Don't the Jan 21st me lark, they're saying that for the past month.

There was a batch of us that submitted around that time and didn't hear anything, most of us inside Canada. The visas only slowly started coming through at the end of two weeks ago. Chin up buddy, won't be long.

OMG did they hear me just now? Maybe my email to the MP did something. Just got this in my email from the NY office!!!!!

Dear applicant,

This is in response to your email below

Processing has begun on your application and it will be finalised shortly.

Regards

Happy days!!!!

Oh that's great, keep us posted, I hope it speeds up for you now.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Saramurphy12

So is volunteering allowed then??

Would you mind giving me the email address for the MO you are dealing with so I can speak to them regarding the volunteer work?

Thanks so much!

Would you mind giving me the email address for the MO you are dealing with so I can speak to them regarding the volunteer work?

Thanks so much!

Well it is just for my riding in Vancouver BC so they will probably direct you to contact your local MP.
    You can use this link to find the MP you should contact:

http://www.parl.gc.ca/Parlinfo/Compilations/HouseOfCommons/MemberByPostalCode.aspx?Menu=HOC

You can volunteer and as long as you do not earn anything, you should be fine..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Finally heard back from CIC. They want more info. Essentially they want court reports for a very minor offence from six years ago. I rang the courts service and they say they can send it down but all it has is the info that's already on the police report, which CIC already have, and it will cost another £120.
    So far this whole thing has cost me about £600 and it looks increasingly like all I'm going to get for it is blacklisted from ever entering Canada again.

I GOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going drinking to celebrate!!!!!!!!

I'm am so freakin happy at the moment.

Submitted Feb 7th - Approved March 26th.

Happy dance, happy dance!!!!!!

That's remarkable. Well done you! Congratulations and enjoy :-)

• Advertisement

Congrats!!! Hopefully this is a good sign for all of us around that date :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AE56

Finally heard back from CIC. They want more info. Essentially they want court reports for a very minor offence from six years ago. I rang the courts service and they say they can send it down but all it has is the info that's already on the police report, which CIC already have, and it will cost another £120.
    So far this whole thing has cost me about £600 and it looks increasingly like all I'm going to get for it is blacklisted from ever entering Canada again.

They asked for same info from my husband for drink driving offence from 13 years ago I got letter from court n the police didn't ave any info on the offence as it was so long ago, i got them to write a letter on headed paper, we sent both of them with a letter from my husband explaining they do not hold details after that length of time! Submit all the info u can and do not give up ... It will be worth it!!! And by the way we were only charged £30 for letter from court!

Congrats!!! Hopefully this is a good sign for all of us around that date :)

I really hope so! After the response I got from my MP yesterday I thought for sure I was going to have to wait another few weeks. Can finely relax now!! :D Good luck!

Congrats!!!! Hopefully my husbands won't be far behind!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Waylander1982

Congratulations. Delighted for you. Gives a small bit of hope to the rest of us who submitted around that date.

And my husbands is through :-) so frickin happy right now!!!!! Now let the celebrations begin!!!!!!!! :-)

AE56 wrote: »
    And my husbands is through :-) so frickin happy right now!!!!! Now let the celebrations begin!!!!!!!! :-)

That's great news! Did he apply around feb 7th?

That's great news! Did he apply around feb 7th?

Applied 11th everyone around that seems to be getting them this wk!

Are u waiting long?

Are u waiting long?

I applied the 13th so hope to hear soon!! Thanks for the info and congrats :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Waylander1982

Are u waiting long?

Congratulations. Im the 11th Feb also, my hopes are offically up now :) Thanks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement