Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭vwgolfmk504

is this the link we use to check the timeline of our applications?

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/temp.asp

It says applications inside canada? Does that mean the timeline is for people who are in Canada that applied or people who applied to the offices in Canada? The link seems to suggest the latter.

thinking of booking my flights in the next two weeks, thinking of going in the 2nd week of August, still haven't got my poe but i Applied on the 20th of March, is it jumping the gun booking now or would ye reckon its good to go? flight prices are only going to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Guys, has anyone already got their IEC visa granted for 2013?

I am just back from Alberta at an employers forum and got talking with a bunch of employers looking for people to work across a range of areas on the IEC visa.
    They are looking for everything from:
    • concrete finishing
    • carpenters
    • artic truck drivers
    • machine operators
    • mechanics (diesel / motor)
    • panel beaters
    • welders
    • hospitality
    • catering
    • labouring
    You must have the IEC visa granted (from 2012 or 2013) or have it in process. Let me know if you want details.

Declan Clune

Guys,

Just something else that you should be aware of - there are various contracting companies that will sign you up with them and then they contract you out to work for other companies.

This issue I would have with this is that they tend to take a high percentage of your hourly wage (around 25%) as their fee - so you are only offered the amount after this contracting fee is taken out.

If you were to work with the employer directly, then your wage rate would be much better.

ALSO - YOU SHOULD NOT PAY ANYONE FOR FINDING YOU A JOB.
    It is illegal for a company to charge you a finders fee or anything related.

Regards,
    Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 9 swirls427

Surfn wrote: »
    not much word of any LOI's lately im still waiting from the 7th of march. not a word from them yet
    So you have not moved on to the 2nd stage yet??

• Advertisement

My advice - don't book any flight until you have your visa granted.

thinking of booking my flights in the next two weeks, thinking of going in the 2nd week of August, still haven't got my poe but i Applied on the 20th of March, is it jumping the gun booking now or would ye reckon its good to go? flight prices are only going to go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Fretser

Hi folks, I've read through a lot on this thread and have a quick question. Is there any hope of obtaining an IEC visa? Is the deadline for application now passed? I came across a link on 'movingtocanada' stating no more applications for the 2013 IEC.

If it's closed will I have to wait until next year to apply? I may have to consider the FSWP when it opens in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

Fretser wrote: »
    Hi folks, I've read through a lot on this thread and have a quick question. Is there any hope of obtaining an IEC visa? Is the deadline for application now passed? I came across a link on 'movingtocanada' stating no more applications for the 2013 IEC.

If it's closed will I have to wait until next year to apply? I may have to consider the FSWP when it opens in May.

Sorry its closed this year, all iec visas gone, will have to wait until 2014 for the iec visas to be released again.

Hi Fretser,

There are no further applications for the IEC program for Irish nationals so if you don't have a job offer, the the Federal Skilled visa will be your next best route. As you mentioned, the program is currently closed and is expected to reopen in May.

However I understand that the eligibility criteria will become more restrictive.

Regards,
    Declan
    Fretser wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

swirls427 wrote: »
    So you have not moved on to the 2nd stage yet??

yes i finished stage 2 and submitted mine on the 7th of march, waiting since then.

• Advertisement

id have to agree with you there declan

• Registered Users Posts: 42 discodowney

This is really annoying me now. Im meant to be heading to Asia in 6 weeks. I need to start booking stuff soon, but I cant until i know what the craic with my Visa to Canada is. Been waiting for bout 6 weeks, maybe more, now. What is the ****ing hold up

Thanks Declan, I do believe it may become more restrictive, just hoping my qualifications and experience count somewhat. I've been working in Pharma/Med device for the past 6+years. Would love the opportunity to go travel and live work again.

gary27 wrote: »
    Sorry its closed this year, all iec visas gone, will have to wait until 2014 for the iec visas to be released again.

Thanks Gary, hopefully the skilled route may be open to me, don't think I could wait until this time next year, people seem to be still waiting for their visas now.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 odonovanchris

This is really annoying me now. Im meant to be heading to Asia in 6 weeks. I need to start booking stuff soon, but I cant until i know what the craic with my Visa to Canada is. Been waiting for bout 6 weeks, maybe more, now. What is the ****ing hold up

I hear ya lad... it's 6 weeks for me now too....such a joke, I can't even book flights yet! R u goin to asia as a stop-over to canada or something?

I hear ya lad... it's 6 weeks for me now too....such a joke, I can't even book flights yet! R u goin to asia as a stop-over to canada or something?

No im going there for 3 motnhs, then coming back here for bout 2 weeks then heading to Canada. But if they need more info or need anything else from me and they ask for it when im in Asia itll be a complete nightmare trying to get any of it sorted. I had planned on heading the middle of May but i dont want to book anything in case. Cos if this goes to hell for some reason, im gonna head to Oz.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭AlanMc86

Two friends will be 7 weeks waiting tomorrow ye are not alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 odonovanchris

No im going there for 3 motnhs, then coming back here for bout 2 weeks then heading to Canada. But if they need more info or need anything else from me and they ask for it when im in Asia itll be a complete nightmare trying to get any of it sorted. I had planned on heading the middle of May but i dont want to book anything in case. Cos if this goes to hell for some reason, im gonna head to Oz.

Savage, yeah I was thinking about doing asia aswell, especially being between jobs here in Canada....ah sure we'll see what happens when this visa comes thru. What part of canada u headin to?

Im heading to Toronto. I know a good few people there. Was there or Vancouver but iver heard Vancouver can be a bit quiet

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Saramurphy12

7weeks waiting tomorrow :(

• Advertisement

7weeks waiting tomorrow :(
    feck thats alongtime. let us know when you get it

• Registered Users Posts: 8 todrapids

So my IMM1295E pdf will not accept the fada in Tomás.

I put my name in without the fada but I keep getting the "your document contains invalid entries" warning when I try to upload and it wont work.

I presume its because my name isn't matching up.
    How can I get around this?!

Any help gratefully appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Saramurphy12

Surfn wrote: »
    feck thats alongtime. let us know when you get it

You will hear me screaming from my roof :)

theirs absolutely no way im waiting until May/june to hear if i got it or not, im going to book my flights in the next two weeks with or without my poe. im not leaving until August. August is the only month i Can really go so if I somehow didnt have a bloody poe by then Ill give up

Guys,

If anyone is looking to get work in Alberta, let me know as I made contact with a number of employers when I was over there and they are looking for

Artic Truck drivers (some very urgent positions)
    welders
    diesel mechanics
    concrete finishers
    carpenters
    site superintendents

also a lot of casual work in
    accommodation attendents
    waiter / waitress

Let me know if you are looking for something and I can direct you.

Declan

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

Looking for industrial electrical work.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭EvilDead13

So went to the border last night to flagpole and everything was going smoothly until the border agent handed me the permit and told me it was for 12 months. This will be my 2nd IEC permit and according to IEC and the CIC website Irish applicants who have participated once before are eligible for a 2nd participation for 24 months. I pointed this out to the border agent as I had brought the CIC operational bulletin with me and she said she agreed it should be 24 months but according to the document number on the POE it was only authorized for 12 months.

Beyond frustrated after waiting so long to finally get the POE to be told no sorry they must have made a mistake even though I can see they are wrong but I can't correct it you must contact CIC. So I have the 12 month permit but I'm pretty sure they are going to say sorry you already got the 12 months we can't change it now....even though there was no way to know based on the POE that it was only authorized for 12 months so I couldn't contact them before going to the border!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

EvilDead13 wrote: »
    So went to the border last night to flagpole and everything was going smoothly until the border agent handed me the permit and told me it was for 12 months. This will be my 2nd IEC permit and according to IEC and the CIC website Irish applicants who have participated once before are eligible for a 2nd participation for 24 months. I pointed this out to the border agent as I had brought the CIC operational bulletin with me and she said she agreed it should be 24 months but according to the document number on the POE it was only authorized for 12 months.

Beyond frustrated after waiting so long to finally get the POE to be told no sorry they must have made a mistake even though I can see they are wrong but I can't correct it you must contact CIC. So I have the 12 month permit but I'm pretty sure they are going to say sorry you already got the 12 months we can't change it now....even though there was no way to know based on the POE that it was only authorized for 12 months so I couldn't contact them before going to the border!!!!!

No thats awful , what the hell are they doing . there making all this up as they go along .
    Hopefully the sort it for you

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

Mother of God, this is horrific.
    I don't know what to think of it at this stage. I have an email from them saying, 'you do not need to submit a police certificate if applying when living in Canada' and I got a message from them this morning to submit police certs.
    So, like you, I'm here in Canada, if I get a 12 month permit after all this running around and waiting, I'll absolutely flip. This is my last shot at it and I really wanted to get the 24 months.
    What is going on?
    They are contradicting themselves all the way and as it has been said, they're making it up as they go along.
    Let us know how it works out, we'll be hoping you get sorted, best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

Read some about experience class program. It requires 12 months work experience in the last couple years I think and you can apply PR. Read some, I think this should help, even if you have 12 months left..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement