Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

smitas5 wrote: »
    Read some about experience class program. It requires 12 months work experience in the last couple years I think and you can apply PR. Read some, I think this should help, even if you have 12 months left..

Is that 12 months skilled work in the same occupation or just 12 months work anywhere in different roles

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

rusheen wrote: »
    Is that 12 months skilled work in the same occupation or just 12 months work anywhere in different roles

It really shouldn't make a difference. We all applied and paid for a 24 month 'International Experience Canada' visa. They can't go changing the rules now.
    It's an open work permit, so occupation or experience shouldn't make a difference.
    This is classic, they changed the process and all these permit officers are not up to speed on the new deal.
    It's a disgrace and completely frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

It really shouldn't make a difference. We all applied and paid for a 24 month 'International Experience Canada' visa. They can't go changing the rules now.
    It's an open work permit, so occupation or experience shouldn't make a difference.
    This is classic, they changed the process and all these permit officers are not up to speed on the new deal.
    It's a disgrace and completely frustrating.

Mmmh I think we all agree its not right what happened at the border.

But I was asking about the PR process which smitas5 suggested .
    If you work in a skilled/professional occupation for 12months or more you can apply for Permanent residency .

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭EvilDead13

I called CIC just now and had the agent pull up the operational bulletin 490 and read the section under IEC for Ireland. I asked how he interpreted that for a 2nd year applicant and he agreed it should have been approved for 2 years. So now I have to apply to extend my stay/permit and include the bulletin in the application and a letter of explanation that they made a mistake processing my application and it needs to be corrected.

Absolute crap that I have to do all this extra work because they made an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

rusheen wrote: »
    Mmmh I think we all agree its not right what happened at the border.

But I was asking about the PR process which smitas5 suggested .
    If you work in a skilled/professional occupation for 12months or more you can apply for Permanent residency .

Skilled experience in 0, A, B

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/cec/apply-who.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭username2013

EvilDead13 wrote: »
    I called CIC just now and had the agent pull up the operational bulletin 490 and read the section under IEC for Ireland. I asked how he interpreted that for a 2nd year applicant and he agreed it should have been approved for 2 years. So now I have to apply to extend my stay/permit and include the bulletin in the application and a letter of explanation that they made a mistake processing my application and it needs to be corrected.

If I were you I would get back onto the CIC and get them to email you a letter stating this or else I could see you having trouble when you do apply to get it extended....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 doconne

That's beyond frustrating, especially after the agony of this entire process, I feel for you mate. I'm going to be crossing the border near Montreal and re-entering this Sunday to do the same and am curious which crossing you did?

Also would you mind posting a link to that bulletin 490 so I can print it off to show them.

Cheers and good luck with the correction on your visa, you're due some good karma I believe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭del777

Oh dear god, that's awful.... my poe has 2014 on it when some people say 2015.... can I ask what port of entry you went through? I plan on printing off all T&Cs from IEC/CIC pages and bringing them with me when I go after reading your posts!Im worried now after seeing what is after happening to you.. I hope you get sorted soon ...

• Registered Users Posts: 23 JuicyJim

Hey guys, been putting stage 2 on the long finger for a while but made a start this week. However, I feel I may need to get a new passport as the one I have is in a pretty bad state ha. Nothing wrong with the validity, it;s just that the thing is a mess and might need to get a new one through passport express.

Basically I'm just wondering whether there is a deadline or a certain time that stage 2 has to be completed? it's looking like I may have to wait another 2 weeks 2 submit my application if I have to renew my passport!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

JuicyJim wrote: »
    Hey guys, been putting stage 2 on the long finger for a while but made a start this week. However, I feel I may need to get a new passport as the one I have is in a pretty bad state ha. Nothing wrong with the validity, it;s just that the thing is a mess and might need to get a new one through passport express.

Basically I'm just wondering whether there is a deadline or a certain time that stage 2 has to be completed? it's looking like I may have to wait another 2 weeks 2 submit my application if I have to renew my passport!

if you have the conditional acceptance from stage 1 it should be valid for a good few months.

• Advertisement

gary27 wrote: »
    if you have the conditional acceptance from stage 1 it should be valid for a good few months.

Yeah I have Conditional Acceptance! So if I was to get a new passport in a couple of weeks, it wouldn't be too late for me to start filling out forms for stage 2 then?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

Yeah I have Conditional Acceptance! So if I was to get a new passport in a couple of weeks, it wouldn't be too late for me to start filling out forms for stage 2 then?

No you'd have lots of time - your Conditional Acceptance Letter should be valid for 6mths, and Passport Express will have a new passport out to you in 10working days.

I would def start getting the other stuff sorted while you're waiting on your new passport - just upload stuff, or have it all in the correct format ready to upload it all together. Once you start the CIC process it puts a timeline of 60days on you, but you can just delete that profile and start again if need be too - so there are ways around it all. I'd just create the CIC account to get into it to see what they give you on the checklist, and you can start getting prepared - but like I say, you will have plenty of time. The checklist is realistic and really uploading problems seem to throw people, but every single query or question has been answered in this thread in some shape or format, so you'll not be stuck!!

Word of advice on the passport - definitely use the Passport Express service! I got a new passport in Jan - took less than the 10days to come back to me. Then 2 friends sent off for new passports only a couple of weeks after me, sent through regular post, and they literally only got their new passports last wk - took almost 6wks!!! Total farce considering regular post is also more expensive!!! Silly service!!

Hope this helps!

CatMc48 wrote: »
    No you'd have lots of time - your Conditional Acceptance Letter should be valid for 6mths, and Passport Express will have a new passport out to you in 10working days.

I would def start getting the other stuff sorted while you're waiting on your new passport - just upload stuff, or have it all in the correct format ready to upload it all together. Once you start the CIC process it puts a timeline of 60days on you, but you can just delete that profile and start again if need be too - so there are ways around it all. I'd just create the CIC account to get into it to see what they give you on the checklist, and you can start getting prepared - but like I say, you will have plenty of time. The checklist is realistic and really uploading problems seem to throw people, but every single query or question has been answered in this thread in some shape or format, so you'll not be stuck!!

Word of advice on the passport - definitely use the Passport Express service! I got a new passport in Jan - took less than the 10days to come back to me. Then 2 friends sent off for new passports only a couple of weeks after me, sent through regular post, and they literally only got their new passports last wk - took almost 6wks!!! Total farce considering regular post is also more expensive!!! Silly service!!

Hope this helps!

THANK YOU SOO MUCH!!!! A massive weight off my shoulders, I'll be sure to have the other stuff done in the meantime to make it easier on myself! THANKS :)

Oh, one more thing: If I have a new passport, will that ruin the application in anyway? In stage one we had to upload a passport photo and details didn't we? I would have used my old passport details in stage one!

Oh, one more thing: If I have a new passport, will that ruin the application in anyway? In stage one we had to upload a passport photo and details didn't we? I would have used my old passport details in stage one!

No, it allows for the change of a passport due to loss/damage, etc - if you search through my posts on this forum I've def mentioned it before, and quoted from the IEC website - or easier still just go into the IEC site, and go to T&C or FAQ's - it's definitely covered there! You might have to supply a letter of explaination to them along with your CIC application.

Another thing you could do is just apply under the old passport, wait until you get accepted and get your POE, then get a new passport for yourself. Then when you go to the border to activate your visa, although your visa will be specific to your old passport, you just need to bring your POE, your new passport, and either your old one or a photocopy of it with you, and the border police will issue the visa directly to the new passport - again, this is stated on the IEC page, so check it out.

When you start the CIC application, you'll need to submit a photocopy of the ID page of your passport along with any stamped pages, so if you just wanted to send on a clean copy then get the new passport issued before you start it. If you think your old passport is too battered I mean, and that it might cause you issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dave92

Hi all can anyone dircet me to the best sites/boards pages for construction work in canada, have my visa granted and would like to organise work before i set off if possible:) thanks

No, it allows for the change of a passport due to loss/damage, etc - if you search through my posts on this forum I've def mentioned it before, and quoted from the IEC website - or easier still just go into the IEC site, and go to T&C or FAQ's - it's definitely covered there! You might have to supply a letter of explaination to them along with your CIC application.

Another thing you could do is just apply under the old passport, wait until you get accepted and get your POE, then get a new passport for yourself. Then when you go to the border to activate your visa, although your visa will be specific to your old passport, you just need to bring your POE, your new passport, and either your old one or a photocopy of it with you, and the border police will issue the visa directly to the new passport - again, this is stated on the IEC page, so check it out.

When you start the CIC application, you'll need to submit a photocopy of the ID page of your passport along with any stamped pages, so if you just wanted to send on a clean copy then get the new passport issued before you start it. If you think your old passport is too battered I mean, and that it might cause you issues.

That's another huge relief, thanks! I'm sure every one of my queries is covered somewhere in this thread, it's too damn big to flick through! So really I would be better off waiting on a new passport, then starting all of stage 2 from scratch with the new one? Then it's just a matter of informing IEC that I used a new passport in stage 2 and the passport used in stage one was my old one? They'd be ok with that I'd imagine? Thanks again!

That's another huge relief, thanks! I'm sure every one of my queries is covered somewhere in this thread, it's too damn big to flick through! So really I would be better off waiting on a new passport, then starting all of stage 2 from scratch with the new one? Then it's just a matter of informing IEC that I used a new passport in stage 2 and the passport used in stage one was my old one? They'd be ok with that I'd imagine? Thanks again!

Once you have everything in order, and you document it correctly to CIC, I can't imagine there being an issue - as for the thread being big, go to the 'search thread' options and just type in what you're looking for - in this case 'passport' and you'll get every post containing it - so it narrows down the search for you.

doconne wrote: »
    That's beyond frustrating, especially after the agony of this entire process, I feel for you mate. I'm going to be crossing the border near Montreal and re-entering this Sunday to do the same and am curious which crossing you did?

Also would you mind posting a link to that bulletin 490 so I can print it off to show them.

Cheers and good luck with the correction on your visa, you're due some good karma I believe! :)

I went across at the Tsawwassen/Point Roberts crossing in BC. I had the bulletin printed off and with me but even though the border agent agreed with me that I should be getting 24 months she said their system showed it was only authorized for 12 and that was all she could give me. My MP responded yesterday and has emailed the Ministry CIC contact requesting they correct their error. We'll see what they come back with.

Link: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2013/ob490.asp

I went across at the Tsawwassen/Point Roberts crossing in BC. I had the bulletin printed off and with me but even though the border agent agreed with me that I should be getting 24 months she said their system showed it was only authorized for 12 and that was all she could give me. My MP responded yesterday and has emailed the Ministry CIC contact requesting they correct their error. We'll see what they come back with.

Is this issue only happening with people who are already in Canada and are renewing their visa's?

• Advertisement

Is this issue only happening with people who are already in Canada and are renewing their visa's?

I haven't heard of it happening to anyone else but then again a lot of people already in Canada are still waiting to hear back on their applications. I thought I was all set when I brought the bulletin with me proving I should get 24 months. I know this is new this year and wanted to be prepared that the border agent might not be up to date. A lot of good it did me.

God love you.
    It sounds like they will fix it but continue to make mistakes and we'll all be fixing it afterwards.
    They clearly didn't road test the new process or brief anyone on the changes and they're falling at every hurdle as a result.
    Hope you get sorted. I need my visa for July 23rd, not expecting it on time at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Lads are Canadians gone on holiday. Nobody seems to have any activity with their applications

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭vwgolfmk504

God love you.
    It sounds like they will fix it but continue to make mistakes and we'll all be fixing it afterwards.
    They clearly didn't road test the new process or brief anyone on the changes and they're falling at every hurdle as a result.
    Hope you get sorted. I need my visa for July 23rd, not expecting it on time at this rate!

are you really not expecting your visa by then? or are you being sarcastic? are you in canada at the moment? cause iv got my flights book for 29th july and deffo need it by then. sent my forms in 2 weeks ago

are you really not expecting your visa by then? or are you being sarcastic? are you in canada at the moment? cause iv got my flights book for 29th july and deffo need it by then. sent my forms in 2 weeks ago

Honestly, I've no faith in the system at this point.
    I had to apply twice last year and got in by the skin of my teeth.
    I had filled out a form that said 'Ireland and the UK' on it, and they returned it to me to start the application again, the questions were the exact same.
    I was lucky there was still visas left, I got one the week there were 120 left!

Since applying this year, I've turned 36 and I'm waiting since Feb 12th, unfortunately I'm not expecting it to go smoothly.

feb 12th is a long time, dont know why the people in Canada seem to be taking the longest as opposed to irish

feb 12th is a long time, dont know why the people in Canada seem to be taking the longest as opposed to irish

Yeah, we are being managed through the New York office, so it's probably mental down there.
    Sorry for the sulking but I'm miserable from not knowing. I can't plan to stay and don't know if I need to be planning to be moving home.
    Just in no mans land....

Yeah, we are being managed through the New York office, so it's probably mental down there.
    Sorry for the sulking but I'm miserable from not knowing. I can't plan to stay and don't know if I need to be planning to be moving home.
    Just in no mans land....

ye must be very stressful, hope it all works out!!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

Anyone thinking of heading to the edmonton area a nice job on offer with a nice firm:

http://www.linkedin.com/jobs?jobId=5178169&viewJob=&trk=jobs_search_public_seo_page

They are willing to train someone to be a broker provided they have secondary school and some kind of 3rd level education.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

I've been waiting since Feb 11th I'm already in Canada too... need it before July.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement