Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 AE56

smitas5 wrote: »
    Is it not valid just for short while anyway?

We have Northern Ireland licence, we bought a car and in order to get a registration plate for the car u have to produce insurance slip, because we have an Irish licence they will not insure us but if we had a changed or licence to an international licence they would have. The women in the licence office told us we could drive on our licence for as long as we have a visa but when we went to get insurance we found this out! If u have a uk licence u can change it for a Canadian licence without the test!

We tried everything, the only option is to sit the test!!

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

AE56 wrote: »
    Just a wee pointer to anyone that is coming to Alberta and wants to drive, your best changing your licence to an international licence before leaving otherwise u will have to sit the test before you can drive or buy a car!!

I understand that a license from the Republic of Ireland entitles you to drive in Canada for 3 months. But definitely the international driving license is worth getting because it allows you to drive there for 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

I understand that a license from the Republic of Ireland entitles you to drive in Canada for 3 months. But definitely the international driving license is worth getting because it allows you to drive there for 12 months.

yeah I have got the international driving permit in case I need it but will aim to get the alberta driving license not long after I'm settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

yea international driving licence is the job:D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

The test is easy lads. I'm not sure it's worth all the hassle of changing licences at home just to avoid it.
    It's actually worth learning the rules of the road and getting into some good habits too. The drivers here can be a bit crazy and you'll need your witts about you at times, not to mention driving in the snow and ice. Honestly, it's a good idea to take a lesson and do the test.

• Advertisement

The test is easy lads. I'm not sure it's worth all the hassle of changing licences at home just to avoid it.
    It's actually worth learning the rules of the road and getting into some good habits too. The drivers here can be a bit crazy and you'll need your witts about you at times, not to mention driving in the snow and ice. Honestly, it's a good idea to take a lesson and do the test.

I totally agree with u but if you need on the road quickly when you arrive it's best to have international or else there is no one that will insure u and without insurance u cannot register your car! Also when pass test u are not allowed on main highways which can be a pain depending on where u work! We are living in Edmonton n def need to drive on the highway so we are applying for exemption! Just sharing what has been a pain for us since we arrived! We thought we would arrive here buy a car n be on road straight away but that is not possible!!

I totally agree with u but if you need on the road quickly when you arrive it's best to have international or else there is no one that will insure u and without insurance u cannot register your car! Also when pass test u are not allowed on main highways which can be a pain depending on where u work! We are living in Edmonton n def need to drive on the highway so we are applying for exemption! Just sharing what has been a pain for us since we arrived! We thought we would arrive here buy a car n be on road straight away but that is not possible!!

how long do you have to wait until you can drive on the highways after passing test?

gary27 wrote: »
    how long do you have to wait until you can drive on the highways after passing test?

We have been told two years though one office has told us different from another office!.. One office told us we would be able to drive on our licence as long as we are here but insurance would cost more which we were happy with as short term to get on the road but when we went to insurance company there was no option for insurance!

We have been told two years though one office has told us different from another office!.. One office told us we would be able to drive on our licence as long as we are here but insurance would cost more which we were happy with as short term to get on the road but when we went to insurance company there was no option for insurance!

thats a confusing one, so you have to wait 2 years but its possible to drive on highways if your insurance covers then there is no option for insurance. If you got your license in another province would the 2 year thing apply in alberta?

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Good point on the insurance AE56 !
    You are best advised to bring over a copy of your no claims bonus history from your insurance company so that if you are being included on a company's insurance policy, then this speeds up the process.

We placed a number of Artic Truck drivers in Alberta and having the International License and also their no claims bonus history was excellent as they could drive straight away and be included on the company's policy too.

Cheers
    Declan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭jenniem01

We have Northern Ireland licence, we bought a car and in order to get a registration plate for the car u have to produce insurance slip, because we have an Irish licence they will not insure us but if we had a changed or licence to an international licence they would have. The women in the licence office told us we could drive on our licence for as long as we have a visa but when we went to get insurance we found this out! If u have a uk licence u can change it for a Canadian licence without the test!

We tried everything, the only option is to sit the test!!

I'm Irish and have insurance here we both have our international license
    You can get it here:
    http://www.jdrins.com/home.php

You need your international license and if you want cheap premiums you'll need a copy of your no claims bonus letters from Ireland!

There is no limit on how long you can drive on your international license. Some of my friends are here 3 years and still driving on their international- other hald was in a fender bender here over a year and the RCMP didn't care if he had an international or not.

Also we did look into getting AB Drivers licenses and you can sit your theory test and then not actually surrender your license till the day of your road test (for your class 5) then that day they issue your class 7 - you pass your test get your class 5 and you can drive all ya want! It's a gdl exemption.
    Anyone confused feel free to PM me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭smitas5

2years is for newbies.. They have to go through the full examination before tehy get their license. If you say driving test was easy, means you just had kind of induction test, making sure you are familiar with the roads, signs and did read the book. Not sure why are they not allowing to go on motorways if you are exchanging license.

Thanks jenniem01... Think we need to apply for exemption! Just wish we had of applied for our international licence before coming here it would have saved a lot of hassle!!

Thanks jenniem01... Think we need to apply for exemption! Just wish we had of applied for our international licence before coming here it would have saved a lot of hassle!!

It only takes a week for it - get someone at home to apply for you and you'll have it in 2 weeks!

jenniem01 wrote: »
    It only takes a week for it - get someone at home to apply for you and you'll have it in 2 weeks!

Do u have to send your old licence in when applying tho?

Do u have to send your old licence in when applying tho?

Nope - just a copy! So go to Staples print the form fill it out and scan in your irish license get passport photos and get someone at home to mail it

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Driving-in-Europe/~/media/Files/AA%20Ireland/Application%20Forms/aaform4.ashx

Nope - just a copy! So go to Staples print the form fill it out and scan in your irish license get passport photos and get someone at home to mail it

http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/Motoring-advice/Driving-in-Europe/~/media/Files/AA%20Ireland/Application%20Forms/aaform4.ashx

Good job I will get on with that :-)

Bear in mind:
    An International Driving Permit is recognised internationally and normally allows the holder to drive a motor vehicle without further formality. Persons going to a country for longer than three months, to take up residence or employment, or for any reason other than tourism, should make enquiries about their personal position before using the permit.

Isn't same 3 months we get with any license, just insurance is easier to get or am I missing something?

smitas5 wrote: »
    Isn't same 3 months we get with any license, just insurance is easier to get or am I missing something?

"If you are visiting Alberta from outside the country, you must have your valid home jurisdiction drivers licence and an International Drivers Permit to drive on Alberta roads. You may drive in Alberta up to 1 year.

If you are visiting Alberta from another province, you may drive using your home jurisdiction licence. "

There is a loop hole provided you go home and come back you can still drive on your international!

Insurance don't care if you have an international license - it's if you get stopped by the cops your meant to have it on you.
    Technically you could get insurance right now without our int-license and hope you don't get pulled over before it arrives!

• Advertisement

There are different types of driving tests.
    If you are 16 and just on the road, you do a test that gives you a graduated licence, which restricts the hours of night you can drive and the highways etc. However, the test I did was a straight forward full licence, so I haven't been limited to where I can drive etc.
    Smitas5 is right, the international licence is no use after 3 months really. If you're a resident and/or working, you need the local licence.
    As mentioned before, it's not something you need to break your neck to avoid, it's good to do it, you'll learn something and it's not difficult.

Bear in mind you have to surrender your Irish license and it's easy yeah but it's pricey... However you can claim it on your tax return!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 travelatom

Hey Guys,
    Trying to upload my IMM 1295 application that is validated and complete. when i try to upload it says
    "Your answer is incomplete. Provide the necessary information below to continue. The version of the document submitted is no longer accepted".
    I Filled out the IMM 1295 on Thursday night and saved to my harddrive, have only had a chance to upload now but with no luck. I renamed the pdf file as my WTN so dont think its that and iv also tried using different web browsers.
    Any ideas?? Im going crazy!!

travelatom wrote: »
    Hey Guys,
    Trying to upload my IMM 1295 application that is validated and complete. when i try to upload it says
    "Your answer is incomplete. Provide the necessary information below to continue. The version of the document submitted is no longer accepted".
    I Filled out the IMM 1295 on Thursday night and saved to my harddrive, have only had a chance to upload now but with no luck. I renamed the pdf file as my WTN so dont think its that and iv also tried using different web browsers.
    Any ideas?? Im going crazy!!

did you download the imm1295 form from the cic site where you upload your documents? your probably not right clicking the imm1295 form link and selecting save link as to save to computer.

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for your response. I clicked on the IMM 1295 link on the CIC page under Document name in Application forms. It then came up in my browser and i filled it out then saved to my harddrive. Do i need to right click that link and save link as? will i need to fill out the application again? Adam

Hi Gary,
    Thanks for your response. I clicked on the IMM 1295 link on the CIC page under Document name in Application forms. It then came up in my browser and i filled it out then saved to my harddrive. Do i need to right click that link and save link as? will i need to fill out the application again? Adam

yes right click it, select save link as and save it to computer then open it up from there as you can't view that form on the web browser. yes the form will be blank and you will need to fill out again.

ok i really hope thats the problem iv had so many little problems like this throughout the visa application but from reading this thread im not alone. whats the story with my old application being validated? It wont matter if i fill out another and validate it again?

ok i really hope thats the problem iv had so many little problems like this throughout the visa application but from reading this thread im not alone. whats the story with my old application being validated? It wont matter if i fill out another and validate it again?

you just use the new form and fill out and validate it and upload it.

ok perfect, ill give it a go! thanks!

• Advertisement

Bear in mind you have to surrender your Irish license and it's easy yeah but it's pricey... However you can claim it on your tax return!

You don't surrender your Irish licence,
    Where did you hear this from?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement