Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Alright folks,
    End the bickering now let ye.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mossyman

Could someone put all the information together for applying for the IEC and what to do during your first few days after arriving then? It would just be there in black and white and if people have specific questions then these can be addressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,799 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

There is a thread already advising about the first few days in Canada.
    As for pulling all the info from this thread, the floor's there for whoever wants to take up the challenge! (There's over 7,000 posts in this thread, shouldn't take too long, haha!)

But seriously, The idea behind the Megathread was so that people could ask questions/search one thread rather than searching the entire forum, finding it difficult to find the answer they were looking for, then creating a new thread each time.

But this is going way off topic, I'm just touching base on the idea behind a Megathread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tadhgf90

Podger23 wrote: »
    This whole process has been ridiuclous after a total nightmare trying to apply and waiting forever. I sent them an email saying resend LOI. Today I receieved the POE introduction letter which I was delighted with till I read the Permit validity 2013/03/24 todays date. Meaning it expires today this cant be right. POE says "You must enter Canada no later than the validity noted above. If you have been issued a visa, you must also enter no later than the visa validity date.

I also checked my IEC account which says my Immigration Assement is pending and final decission is pending.

Anyone have a similar issue? Going to send them another E-mail now :mad:

Wel podge i had the same problem with the date on the poe form. I sent an email to question@cic.gc.ca but im not sure if that was the correct email address. Have you heard anything back since?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Black_shadow

Thanks to whoever thought of the resend LOI :D, i just got this right now :D

"Thank you for contacting the Citizenship and Immigration Canada Call Centre’s e-Services Unit.

The situation that you have described is the result of a technical problem. Please note that you should receive your Letter of Introduction (LOI) within the next seven (7) working days.

If you do not receive your LOI within the next seven (7) working days, please reply to this email and provide us with a screen shot of the My Messages section of your MyCIC Welcome page.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Please note that we are currently working on resolving the issue.

Sincerely,

Citizenship and Immigration Canada"

Surely this means i got it in bag now :D, roll on the good times and thanks to all who helped me on this thread over the last few months and good luck to the rest of ye waiting :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 KevinFQB1

Hi everybody, I know I'm a bit late too this party but I am just filling out my IMM1295E form now, I have a few questions and was wondering if somebody help me out?

1) The very first box says "UCI", what does that mean or do we need to put anything in there?
    2) No.9 under "Personal Details" where it says "Country where applying:", do they mean where we are living now?
    3) For contact information all I entered was my phone numbers and email address. I did this because I am applying online and it says not to enter your home address unless you want everything to be sent to you. Was this the right thing to do?
    4) For "Details of Intended Work in Canada" I put down "Working Holiday" in the first box and left everything else blank as I don't have anything lined up, was this the right thing to do?

Sorry if most of these questions seem simple and stupid but I rather know I did everything correctly than just uploading it and chancing it

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shaggy000

Flew to phoenix from Edmonton and back again today to activate my new iec.got the 2 years no problem and didn't have to wait for kompass account to update the last 2 parts.thabks to anybody who answred my questions over the last 8 weeks and best of luck to all.now,time to throw on the bbq and grab a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,454 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I got a reply form the CIC yesterday.

I mailed them at 10 on wednesday and got my POE at 1, I think now it was just coincidence that it happened like that.

Either way I got the same reply as a few posts above.

Just thought I would let y'all know.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Niamh_M

KevinFQB1 wrote: »
    Hi everybody, I know I'm a bit late too this party but I am just filling out my IMM1295E form now, I have a few questions and was wondering if somebody help me out?

1) The very first box says "UCI", what does that mean or do we need to put anything in there?
    2) No.9 under "Personal Details" where it says "Country where applying:", do they mean where we are living now?
    3) For contact information all I entered was my phone numbers and email address. I did this because I am applying online and it says not to enter your home address unless you want everything to be sent to you. Was this the right thing to do?
    4) For "Details of Intended Work in Canada" I put down "Working Holiday" in the first box and left everything else blank as I don't have anything lined up, was this the right thing to do?

Sorry if most of these questions seem simple and stupid but I rather know I did everything correctly than just uploading it and chancing it

Hi Kevin,

1) You won't have a UCI number unless you have applied through CIC before. You won't get your UCI number until you get your POE to say you have been accepted. You can leave that blank - If you use "highlight existing fields" in the new Adobe reader you can see that you can't fill it in anyway :)

2) Yes I used country were I'm living now and everything turned out okay!

3) I entered my home address and I received nothing in the post, you may actually need to enter this, but I am unsure. I'd put it in anyway.

4) Yes you should have clicked working holiday, but you may or may not need to tweak the rest. It's a matter of playing around with it until the mycic accepts your application. You need to write "unknown" in some of the boxes. That bit is really annoying, but you get there in the end.

Niamh_M wrote: »
    Hi Kevin,

1) You won't have a UCI number unless you have applied through CIC before. You won't get your UCI number until you get your POE to say you have been accepted. You can leave that blank - If you use "highlight existing fields" in the new Adobe reader you can see that you can't fill it in anyway :)

2) Yes I used country were I'm living now and everything turned out okay!

3) I entered my home address and I received nothing in the post, you may actually need to enter this, but I am unsure. I'd put it in anyway.

4) Yes you should have clicked working holiday, but you may or may not need to tweak the rest. It's a matter of playing around with it until the mycic accepts your application. You need to write "unknown" in some of the boxes. That bit is really annoying, but you get there in the end.
    That's brilliant Niamh hopefully I get it done and uploaded today, thank you so much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Podger23

@tadhgf90 Yeah thats the right email address just got it sorted today with a new valid date.

This thread has been great help even though I just posted to vent once Iv read most of it and never needed to ask a question. Thanks for all the help everyone and best of luck in Canada.

PS if you're stuck on something use the search function not only will you get answer straight away but it will also speed up your application by not waiting on people to reply with an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

Great to see a few people getting the LOI's now.
    I hope they haven't forgotten about me....

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Great to see a few people getting the LOI's now.
    I hope they haven't forgotten about me....

Make sure you have sent the *resend LOI* email detailed above! Mine was sent a few hours after the gentle reminder email!!!

Salmon wrote: »
    Make sure you have sent the *resend LOI* email detailed above! Mine was sent a few hours after the gentle reminder email!!!

I did....
    Hopefully they'll be in touch...
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭JK9

Hey everyone. I arrived in Toronto late last night, when I got to the counter at immigration, I was told that I was only being granted a one year "work abroad" permit because I didn't have a job secured yet. I contacted Cathy first thing in the morning at ICIC for info and she told me to go back to the airport, go to immigration and tell them there's been a mistake. I did this and got served by a guy that was extremely helpful. As this is the first time it's a two year visa, people are used to processing one year visas; at least that's the reason for the mistake I was given this morning. Anyway, I have my two year permit now. I just wanted to share this with you in case it happens to anyone else and to be aware of it.

Anzac wrote: »
    sent off the second phase of this visa application on the 14 th of feb................have emailed the cic about six times asking what the story is ( have sent the resend loi etc etc etc ).........started getting very dis-hearted about three weeks ago.............emailed the cic tonight asking to withdraw my application.........flights and visa booked for oz ( all done within a few days ) melbourne for the lions tour but afraid ill always have a bitter taste with canadian immigration over their shambolic treatment of iec applicants- best of luck every one !!
    You didn't hear anything back at all? I've seen some people on here saying it took 9-10 weeks for the visa to come through after Stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 barryslydon

Hi All,
    Anyone looking for a room in Calgary in May? A friend and I are looking at a 3 bedroom house in Coventry hills on May 10th. The house is $2300 a month all utilities included (except phone cable and internet) so around $766 pp.

If anyone is interested let me know and I can give you more info.

Boom, everything approved but all i have to get left is the POE/LOI which any day now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 nicolajen

Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a difference between POE and LOI? I've just been reading through a few pages and I've confused myself. I got a letter the other day which said "Your application to study or work in Canada has been approved." and it gave me a permit validity to enter the country of '2013/03/19'. Is this a POE? Do I need any other letter or is this it done?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but i tried reading further back and couldn't find an answer.

nicolajen wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Just wondering if there is a difference between POE and LOI? I've just been reading through a few pages and I've confused myself. I got a letter the other day which said "Your application to study or work in Canada has been approved." and it gave me a permit validity to enter the country of '2013/03/19'. Is this a POE? Do I need any other letter or is this it done?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before but i tried reading further back and couldn't find an answer.

They are the same thing. Just bring this and proof of funds etc to the boarder.

• Advertisement

KevinFQB1 wrote: »
    You didn't hear anything back at all? I've seen some people on here saying it took 9-10 weeks for the visa to come through after Stage 2.

Oh dear. I couldn't find Anzacs original message but this is devastating.
    I'm waiting the same length of time, have contacted them many times to no avail.
    It has crossed my mind to pull out at this stage too.
    Have to make plans and can't with all this waiting....

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Surfn

Oh dear. I couldn't find Anzacs original message but this is devastating.
    I'm waiting the same length of time, have contacted them many times to no avail.
    It has crossed my mind to pull out at this stage too.
    Have to make plans and can't with all this waiting....
    i will be 36 in june, i was lucky enough got my POE a week ago. i thought i wasnt gonna get it before i was 36 and then they would turn me down. lucky enough all went well

Surfn wrote: »
    i will be 36 in june, i was lucky enough got my POE a week ago. i thought i wasnt gonna get it before i was 36 and then they would turn me down. lucky enough all went well

That's great, you must be thrilled.
    Turned 36 in March and no word :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭Manitoban

I submitted all the documents for the second stage of the IEC visa on the 13th of March, about 10 minutes after my husband submitted his. He got the email with POE on the 16th of April. No sign of mine coming through which was incredibly frustrating as our visa ran out on the 26th of April. So the 26th of April there was still no sign of my visa leave the country (drive to the boarder which is an hours drive away so no big deal) to activate my husbands visa and to get a visitors visa for myself and our kids. When we got to the boarder we went through US boarder no bother and told them we were just leaving Canada to activate a new visa so they let us turn the car around no problem.
    Anyway when we went into the Canadian boarder they said that it was no hassle that my visa hasn't come through as I was on implied status until it actually comes through. So the boarder agent called up CIC (I assume) and they told her that my visa HAD been approved but I was just never told that it was!! Very very annoying and caused me a lot of stress thinking that I was going to have to be on a visitor visa until my visa was approved. The boarder agent wasn't actually able to print off the new visa for us in their office as it wasn't a main crossing so she got in touch with another office, they printed the visa off and faxed it through to us. We will get the original visa posted out to us.

I still haven't actually got notification on either my Kompass account or the other CIC account that my application has been approved, which is reducilously since I actually physically have my visa into passport!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 emfd

Hi all,
    I am currently living in Toronto. I am on a one year VISA and in the process of applying for the second but I am having a lot of trouble. Is there anyone here who has applied for their second year from within Canada? I need help as my current VISA is due to expire in 4 weeks! I'm majorly stressed out! :eek:

Manitoban wrote: »
    I submitted all the documents for the second stage of the IEC visa on the 13th of March, about 10 minutes after my husband submitted his. He got the email with POE on the 16th of April. No sign of mine coming through which was incredibly frustrating as our visa ran out on the 26th of April. So the 26th of April there was still no sign of my visa leave the country (drive to the boarder which is an hours drive away so no big deal) to activate my husbands visa and to get a visitors visa for myself and our kids. When we got to the boarder we went through US boarder no bother and told them we were just leaving Canada to activate a new visa so they let us turn the car around no problem.
    Anyway when we went into the Canadian boarder they said that it was no hassle that my visa hasn't come through as I was on implied status until it actually comes through. So the boarder agent called up CIC (I assume) and they told her that my visa HAD been approved but I was just never told that it was!! Very very annoying and caused me a lot of stress thinking that I was going to have to be on a visitor visa until my visa was approved. The boarder agent wasn't actually able to print off the new visa for us in their office as it wasn't a main crossing so she got in touch with another office, they printed the visa off and faxed it through to us. We will get the original visa posted out to us.

I still haven't actually got notification on either my Kompass account or the other CIC account that my application has been approved, which is reducilously since I actually physically have my visa into passport!

Oh my God, this is really crazy stuff.
    What a shambles.
    Sounds like you've come out of it ok, but I completely understand the stress.
    I'm waiting since Feb 12th. Have since turned 36, have called, emailed, begged and pleaded for a response and nothing. It's a lot of worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Anyone worried about a criminal record relax. unless it was very recent or very serious you should be fine. I had two assault on police charges on mine from six years ago but I added an explanation and I just got MY POE letter last week. Had to send them court reports and stuff so it takes a bit longer but it should be fine.

Anyone worried about a criminal record relax. unless it was very recent or very serious you should be fine. I had two assault on police charges on mine from six years ago but I added an explanation and I just got MY POE letter last week. Had to send them court reports and stuff so it takes a bit longer but it should be fine.

That's lovely for you!
    I've no criminal record, never assaulted anyone, yet I've no visa!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

That's lovely for you!
    I've no criminal record, never assaulted anyone, yet I've no visa!

In my defence, the fuckers had it coming.
    Also, I dont think that's quite how it works.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 zabba

When we get the VISA. do we need to do anything with Kompass account?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement