Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭PrettyPolly155

Karbolt wrote: »
    Raging I didn't decide to go to Australia instead... One of my friends applied for a visa on Monday, had it by Wednesday and the same day booked her flight to go over there at the start of March. So much less stress!

I know, my friend decided to go about 3 weeks ago, got her visa, booked her flights and is now in a plane somewhere about 8 hours from Oz... and it's summer over there right now... Blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭againstthetide

Article is accurate, to get set up in an unfurnished apartment will cost you 2k between Months rent up front and deposi.
    Get furniture etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

hegarty147 wrote: »

Thats correct u claim a month after u leave work

I can only speak for myself so, I left work to go travelling last August and I was told I couldn't apply until January this year. Maybe that was because Ireland was still my base and I didn't have a visa for another country, making it possible for me to work between then and Christmas if I chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭bearhugs

Regarding the independent article, I did think it was very negative, in saying that though I spent ten weeks in Toronto last year and it is very expensive, food and toiletries, apartments being unfurnished and so on. But I'd take it over Ireland anyway. No doom and gloom, and you'll be working so you'll have money.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

bearhugs wrote: »
    I can only speak for myself so, I left work to go travelling last August and I was told I couldn't apply until January this year. Maybe that was because Ireland was still my base and I didn't have a visa for another country, making it possible for me to work between then and Christmas if I chose.

thanks for the info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 MKcin

gary27 wrote: »
    I read the article its just warning people about the length of time it may take to get a job and it being more expensive than here,
    I'll take my chances at least I will have hope of getting a job:)
    I lived and worked in Calgary for over 1 year and had a job within 1 week of arriving.
    Ireland is more expensive, Wages in Alberta are 30% higher than any other place in Canada. Food and drink are less than Ireland and only 5% gst (vat) on stuff you buy.
    Rent is almost the same as Ireland, The NW and SW are the best places to rent. There is over 2500 h of sun per year and the winters are not that bad 30deg heat in the summer BBQ most days in the summer. And loads of outdoor stuff to do all year round. Its much better than hearing B.S from our goverment any day. ( Irl turning the corner getting better my ass)
    There is no talk of recession in Canada its like Ireland 6years ago.
    Best of Luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

Ye i cant wait for Calgary hoping to be there at the end of march all going well. I am heading solo anyone else in the same boat give me a shout:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32 mairemoo

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Ye i cant wait for Calgary hoping to be there at the end of march all going well. I am heading solo anyone else in the same boat give me a shout:D

meeeeeeeeeeee! well once my payments been verifeid!! :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Black_shadow

mairemoo wrote: »
    meeeeeeeeeeee! well once my payments been verifeid!! :confused:

I am in the same both guys, just waiting game, hope it will come today :D!

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭gary27

MKcin wrote: »
    I lived and worked in Calgary for over 1 year and had a job within 1 week of arriving.
    Ireland is more expensive, Wages in Alberta are 30% higher than any other place in Canada. Food and drink are less than Ireland and only 5% gst (vat) on stuff you buy.
    Rent is almost the same as Ireland, The NW and SW are the best places to rent. There is over 2500 h of sun per year and the winters are not that bad 30deg heat in the summer BBQ most days in the summer. And loads of outdoor stuff to do all year round. Its much better than hearing B.S from our goverment any day. ( Irl turning the corner getting better my ass)
    There is no talk of recession in Canada its like Ireland 6years ago.
    Best of Luck.

Thanks for the info, I'll be coming to Calgary when I get the visa, its good to hear first hand experience from someone who lived and worked in Calgary and not from a news article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

Anyone else have issues with reading the IMM1295 Application form.It keeps saying that I need a newer version of abode reader but I,ve downloaded the most recent one.This has happened on three different computers I,ve tried it on. Any help much appreciated.

jonsnow wrote: »
    Anyone else have issues with reading the IMM1295 Application form.It keeps saying that I need a newer version of abode reader but I,ve downloaded the most recent one.This has happened on three different computers I,ve tried it on. Any help much appreciated.

It might not work if your viewing the pdf via the web browser, did you try saving it on your computer then opening it?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Mickalexi13

anyone know can my friend use his account to pay my €120 ?

Thanks for the info, I'll be coming to Calgary when I get the visa, its good to hear first hand experience from someone who lived and worked in Calgary and not from a news article.
    No problem just to let you know the average wage is between $25 -$35 dollars per hour 40-60h per week every (Week) less tax around 15-20% .14th ave is where all the pubs are at.
    Good laugh !!!

No problem just to let you know the average wage is between $25 -$35 dollars per hour 40-60h per week every (Week) less tax around 15-20% .14th ave is where all the pubs are at.
    Good laugh !!!

what line of work are you in?

yea i got a job offer of about 25 bucks an hour time and a half after 40 hours that enough for a single lad in his 20's to survive on ya think?:D have ya been to the famous Roadhouse yet? looks to be some spot:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MissMcAttack

Everyone seems to be heading to Calgary! I'll be heading straight to Whistler to snowboard the winter away if anyone wants to join me :P
    (payment still pending...bah!)

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭media101

Everyone seems to be heading to Calgary! I'll be heading straight to Whistler to snowboard the winter away if anyone wants to join me :P
    (payment still pending...bah!)

when are u going?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,456 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Paid there on lunch, was given the receipt stub, so am I right in saying that I just upload that in a scan to my IEC account and then wait???

what line of work are you in?
    Construction and the wife was in I.T both got good jobs with good pay no problems.
    We could have survived on one income no problem and still save $$$.
    Contact companies directly more $
    When you get over get your SIN number straight away you will need it for bank acc and for work.
    Try if you can to arrive 1 week before the end of any month as rent starts at the first of every month.
    Its the same as here 1 month deposit + 1 month up front.
    Best of luck i hope this helps.

• Advertisement

926 visas remaining!

Construction and the wife was in I.T both got good jobs with good pay no problems.
    We could have survived on one income no problem and still save $$$.
    Contact companies directly more $
    When you get over get your SIN number straight away you will need it for bank acc and for work.
    Try if you can to arrive 1 week before the end of any month as rent starts at the first of every month.
    Its the same as here 1 month deposit + 1 month up front.
    Best of luck i hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice, have you meet many irish in calgary?

Thanks for the advice, have you meet many irish in calgary?
    Loads there is 3 times more Irish in Calgary sence I was there a year ago.
    Don't worry locals love the irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭green_dub_girl

hegarty147 wrote: »
    Uploaded 11am weds ...still waiting

I was 8am on wed too....the waiting is killing me. I feel sick with worry.... I just want to know either way before the weekend

Loads there is 3 times more Irish in Calgary sence I was there a year ago.
    Don't worry locals love the irish.

thats a lot :) Calgary doesn't have a quota of how many irish are allowed to live there :D

haha thats mad if it gets to bad when i arrive i will pop up the road to edmonton:D

thats a lot :) Calgary doesn't have a quota of how many irish are allowed to live there :D
    Not that I know of we just move in and take over.
    Its all good.:)

Just goggled Roadhouse Calgary, looks like some spot alright, come on IEC i want to get that visa and hit there ;):D :P haha

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MissMcAttack

media101 wrote: »
    when are u going?

Probably head over mid-late october, as there are usually winter job fairs that recruit people to work at all the big the ski resorts for the winter ....then hit the POW!! Wooo!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Jimmy Talons

anyone know can my friend use his account to pay my €120 ?

pretty sure that's fine, they need to sort out your proof of payment for you though obviously while doing so, there is a space to put in who it was paid by if applicable on the proof of payment section of the kompass account process.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement