Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CANADA 2013 IEC MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Muffinman1

Well I don't know really.
    I think a lot of scare mongering goes on with this process.
    Last year, I did everything to a T.
    When I landed in Toronto, I had my insurance, my bank statements, my CV, my accommodation details, the works.
    I asked the girl who was printing off my visa, do you need this, do you want to see that, I have copies of this, that and the other, and she said, ''nah''.
    Now, I'm not for a second saying, don't get the stuff, but I turned myself inside out to meet these requirements and honestly, all I needed was that letter.

Try not to stress it unnecessarily.
    Just wait until the site goes live, all the details will be there on what we need to do. There's no point trying to second guess the process or requirements just now.

Once it's open, we'll all be studying it and helping each other out here, so hold tough for now.
    Would love to hear from more like this.
    Have heard cases like that where they don't check proof of funds, insurance etc. like are officers on border control simply just checking at random

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭RootsCanada

I'm in the same boat, I'm cracking up at this stage.
    If I don't get my application in and approved by March, I'm out of the running as I turn 36.
    So every day that passes, lessens my chances, it's a real test of the patience, that's for sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

jeez your in a bad owl situation roots hopefully it will open this week or next week:)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭archicraft

I'm in the same boat, I'm cracking up at this stage.
    If I don't get my application in and approved by March, I'm out of the running as I turn 36.
    So every day that passes, lessens my chances, it's a real test of the patience, that's for sure.

dont get too stressed out ,according to this you should have plenty of time. (taken from IEC Ireland web page, last modified :06/12/2012)

Eligibility Criteria for the Working Holiday Category

The Working Holiday category is designed for Irish citizens, who intend to travel in Canada and who wish to find temporary paid employment to help pay for their stay (maximum 24 months).
    To be eligible for the Working Holiday category you must:
    1. be between the ages of 18 and 35 inclusive at the time your application is received;
    2. be a citizen of Ireland;
    3. be holding an Irish passport that remains valid throughout the period of stay in Canada. When the work permit is issued in Canada, it will not be longer than the validity of the passport.
    4. be in possession of a departure ticket leaving Canada at the end of your authorized period of stay or sufficient financial resources to purchase such a ticket;
    5. have the equivalent of C$2,500 to help cover expenses at the beginning of your stay, for the first 3 months of the stay;
    6. accept to purchase, prior to entering Canada, insurance for medical and health-care, including hospitalization and repatriation, for the duration of your stay – you may have to present evidence of this insurance when you enter Canada;
    7. pay a participation fee when prompted to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

So with all the waiting, I have been wondering about the quota for visas for this year. I know it has been increased... however, of the people already on IEC 2012 and applying for a renewal - are these people included in the overall quota? If so, that means the 5000 or so people who went on IEC in 2012 could, in theory, apply for 5000 of the 6000 or so visas available this year. Not trying to scaremoneger- just something that has occurred to me. Can anyone shed any light on that?

• Advertisement

Here is an article to answer that MeelyB

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/1005/breaking59.html

The number of Canadian working holiday visas available to young Irish people is to be doubled and the length of stay extended from one year to two under a new agreement announced today.

A total of 6,350 visas will be available in 2013, up from 5,350 this year. This will rise to 10,700 in 2014.

READ LINK FOR MORE DETAILS

Yea they can, but some of them who got there visa last year might not have activited them yet. if someone got there visa in may 2012 and has not gone to Canada yet they will probably wait till the 2014 visa opening before applying again. but saying that there will be quite a lot of people in Canada applying sure there's noting to come home to this debt ridden country if anything its worse its getting. that's why its first come first serve which is the fairest.

Hi Jaybommber,

Just to answer your question re 2014, I should have posted this....

The number of Canadian working holiday visas available to young Irish people is to be doubled and the length of stay extended from one year to two under a new agreement announced today.

A total of 6,350 visas will be available in 2013, up from 5,350 this year. This will rise to 10,700 in 2014.

Here is an article to answer that MeelyB

READ LINK FOR MORE DETAILS

Thanks Roots. That article is actually where I got my figures from - and also what got me thinking. It doesn't mention figures for renewal visas is what I was getting at. It does say in 'total' so I guess anyone Irish is included, regardless of whether they are in Ireland, Canada or Oz etc.I am not disputing the fairness of that or anything, just wondered whether it was the case that renewal visas were seperate.

The longer we stay in Ireland, waiting to apply, the less money we have to go sadly! Other half is a plumber and has no work since last September really. His savings for emmigrating go down significantly each month as he has to pay rent/bills/living here in Dublin. We don't have the option of living at home with parents. He can't get rent allowance or that as I work fulltime. Saving and living in Ireland is next to impossible!

So, every time you get a visa, up to now, it's been for one year.

So, there isn't really a 'renewal' of visas, once you've done your year, your year is up and you have to apply and have a new one ready to stay or return.

Assuming all 5,350 came over last year and all want to stay and there's thousands at home who want to apply, then yes, we're all competing for the 6,350 visas.

It's so important that only people who will travel, apply!
    I remember when I was trying to get to the States, all these people at home applied, saying 'that'd be nice to have' and they never went anywhere.
    So frustrating! I never got a visa for the States, needless to say.

I see your situation is very difficult too, I hope you get visas and can get going soon.
    Keep in touch, I'll help, answer questions and depending on where you're headed, if I've any tips or contacts, I'll happily share.
    Best of luck and enjoy the last few months in Dublin, the homesickness is terrible so make the most of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 takefru

Hi all,when are we required to show proof of funds?

takefru wrote: »
    When activating the visa entering Canada

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

takefru wrote: »

You 'may' be required to show your proof of funds at the border when entering Canada in order to be issued your work permit. They may not bother asking you, but if they do and you don't have the proof they can refuse your work permit and that'd suck

Ah I get ya. And thanks Roots. We're from the Midlands, living in Dublin nearly 12 years, so only make it 'down home' once a month. Having said that at least I have the option to visit the family. That makes me sound ancient, I only turned 29 last month. If there are more over there like you, we should be fine :) and of course I'll post any tips or info we come across during all this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

Hi guys,my passport is valid until Jan 2015,I know it says you only need 12 months validity on your passport but maybe that will change to 24 with the new 2 year visa and mine will need renewing for me to apply?

That's after you get your visa, you'll have plenty time to save!!

First steps are to complete forms, send off applications, wait 8 weeks (!), you get an approval, then you pay the participation fee, then you get a letter, only when you are booking your flight and have your bags packed, will you need a bank statement!
    That's the way it was last year.

The requirement last year was that when you land in Canada, they print your visa, based on the letter you hand in, at that point, they can ask to see your bank statement, that can't be older than 7 days.
    All this said, it could be different this year.

Cypressg - Good question, I'd nearly go through the pain of getting the passport now, just in case.

Think of this this way, if you get the visa, you'll have to organise the passport from Canada, which might be hassle.
    If you do it now, you'll have it and then you're covered if the visa does require the 24 month validity.

With all this waiting around, you might as well keep busy.
    I'm going spare here!!

Brilliant news taken from the website:)

International Experience Canada 2013 update:
    International Experience Canada’s (IEC’s) application process for 2013 will be entirely online. It will be split into two stages:

program eligibility assessment (using a IEC-Kompass account); and
    work permit assessment (using a MyCIC account).
    When you have successfully completed the first stage using your IEC-Kompass account, you will receive a letter from Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada indicating conditional acceptance to the IEC program. You will then be asked to upload a “Conditional acceptance letter” to your MyCIC account in order for Citizenship and Immigration Canada to complete the second stage of the application process.

Please note that the 2013 IEC initiative has not yet opened for applications. It will open before February 1, 2013, and more information on the online process will be made available on this website. Stay tuned!

Was just ringing Go4Less due to an issue with my account with them but basically the woman there said they're expecting it open in the next 48hours

will be nipping in to the local library tomorrow to do a bit of scannering so:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

So, basically we need a scan of all documents?

Do shops scan to USB?

I still need to get my birth cert scanned, but it's an old style big one. No idea how to solve this.......

If we need signed photos from the Gardai, how is that going to work?

Just a quick query - Can we set up an account for IEC-Kompass account or the CIC or how does that work

I've no idea what the IEC Kompass or CIC accounts are.... ?
    Have contacted Scotia Bank here for insight.

well yea i think so it says it will be entirely online so by the sounds of that everything will need to be scanned.hey if you get your birth cert copied in a photocopier it gives you the option to re-size it so just hit a4 then that will allow you to scan it aslong as you have a scanner.
    photo signed by the cops thats news to me:o

I was under the impression we had to have signed passport photos, so maybe that was just for 2012. So it's a case of scanning and uploading:

passport
    birth cert
    CV
    Garda Clearance Cert

Yea i already have the cv on comp so 1 less thing. but yea thats pretty much it:)

Is there a meeting like at embassy for example do we have to travel to Dublin?
    Everything seem doable if only I can undertand thee accounts

Sweet, scanner in the folks place, but don't think I can scan to USB......
    Need to sort this out ASAP!!!

Muffinman1 wrote: »
    Is there a meeting like at embassy for example do we have to travel to Dublin?
    Everything seem doable if only I can undertand thee accounts

Sorry mate what do you mean when you say travel to dublin?:o

• Advertisement

JustRoss23 wrote: »
    Sorry mate what do you mean when you say travel to dublin?:o
    No wasn't sure basically I'm asking do o to Dublin to Canadian Embassy e have to for anything or what is the story?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement