Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music Autobiographies

Options
  • 25-02-2012 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭

Recommendations for good music autobiographies?

This is for my other half who is a rock guitarist and he really enjoyed the Slash autobiography & the one from Led Zepplin (may have been written by someone else). I found the Anthony Keidis one (Scar Tissue) very good also.

Basically more or less in the rock genre but doesn't have to be. Singers, musicians etc. But ideally an autobiography, I find the ones written by someone else have very flowery writing and that annoys my other half as he struggles to get through it. Or they are a bit embellished, ie; not from the horse's mouth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭uncle ernie

get him Motley Crue - The Dirt, possibly the most entertaining rock biography...ever.

the last really good one i read was Twenty Thousand Roads: The Ballad Of Gram Parsons And His Cosmic American Music.

as for autobiographies john lydons isnt bad. luke haines has a good britpop book too

keith richards one was good also

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

"No One Here Gets Out Alive" - Danny Sugarman (Bio of THe Doors)
    "Wonderland Avenue" - same author

Basically - they're fly on the wall accounts of Morrison and later Iggy Pops descent into madness. Tell your other half not to attempt Iggy's idea of home re-decoration.

For an autobio - I'd second the Keith Richards suggestion - turns out Keith did remember some stuff after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

+3 for Keef

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

Another vote for The Dirt - just a great book about a bunch of complete degenerates.

I am Ozzy is another good read, the man has had an astonishing life, and comes across as a really decent skin despite his many flaws.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

+1 on Wonderland Avenue, one of the most entertaining books I've read.

Another one that stands out for me is Peter Guralnick's two-volume biography of Elvis Presley:
    Last Train to Memphis: The Rise of Elvis Presley
    Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley

You don't need to be a big Elvis fan to enjoy them, great writing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dots03

Wouldn't it be Nice, the Brian Wilson autobiography is excellent and gives you a real insight into the messed up life that produced this true musical genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

If you like 60's music and the band Love, then check out the biography of Arthur Lee, "Forever Changes: Arthur Lee and the Story of Love".

Autobiographies of Doors members John Densmore ("Riders on the Storm") and Ray Manzarek ("Light My Fire") are the best books about The Doors.

I have to disagree with the recommendations for Wonderland Avenue, unless you want to read a few hundred pages about how much heroin he did ("we did heroin, we ran out, we scored some more" over and over again) with a few minor anecdotes about Jim Morrison and Iggy Pop.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I liked Alex James' A Bit of a Blur. Well written and interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I borrowed Mustaine: A life in metal, the autobiography of Dave Mustaine formerly of Metallica and founder of Megadeth, from my local library. I enjoyed what I read of it but the guy was a total headcase and as such I really wasn't sure about half of the claims he made.

I couldn't say I enjoyed it but if he likes early West-coast trash metal and likes Megadeth then I suppose it's worthwhile reading.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 JetJadore

'Twenty Thousand Roads' a fantastic read! Great musician was Mr Parsons!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭realgirl

It's So Easy & Other Lies by Duff McKagan is a great read, I didn't want to put it down. Should be perfect for you if your OH liked Slash's autobiography...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I like Slash's one. It not much about the music though, more his crazy life. But its a good read. Haven't read any others. Currently reading this

"Crazy Train: The High Life And Tragic Death Of Randy Rhoads"

http://www.amazon.com/Crazy-Train-Tragic-Death-Rhoads/dp/1906002371

I wouldn't recomend it. It feels like badly cut and paste patchwork of bits and pieces from all over. Its like some kids essay homework its so uneven. If you a big Rhoads fan you will find some interest in the guitar side of it. At some point someone hopefully will write a better book on Randy Rhoads.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Pintoplain

Again, Wonderland Ave, but also, Brian Eno's "A Year With Swollen Appendices" is fascinating - a diary of a year, plus random jottings and ideas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 188 ✭✭KnowYourEnemy

'Everything - A Book about the Manic Street Preachers' is one of my all time favourites.

Ditto 'Motley Crue's The Dirt'

Nikki Sixx 'Heroine Diaries' is also a fantastic can't put it down read

• Registered Users Posts: 2 musicnerd3

If you're looking for something that is straight from the musician and no help from a ghostwriter or professionals, I highly recommend Dick Wagner's "Not Only Women Bleed, Vignettes from the Heart of a Musician."

Dick is most notably known for his collaborations and time with Alice Cooper, Aerosmith and Lou Reed. He started in the music industry in local Michigan bands and made a name for himself where the big guys took notice of him. He suffered a stroke a few years ago, but has worked hard to get back to music and has made his return. This book is not just "sex, drugs and Rock & Roll.” He very candidly talks about his industry successes and failures, and personal struggles with family and relationships. He also talks about his stroke and return.

There's a fun
    interview at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V06zk4uIIoU&feature=youtu.be. His website is www.notonlywomenbleed.com

• Registered Users Posts: 6,746 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

I have zero interest in their music but I will lend my voice to the recommendations of the Motley Crue books, great entertainment and raunchy enough to keep him interested. I've been meaning to read the Keith Richards book myself, I've heard it's good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

"Are You Experienced" by Noel Redding and Carol Appleby.

Dylan's "Chronicles" is well worth reading as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

I recently read Mike Scott's 'Adventures of a Waterboy' which was really enjoyable.
    Levon Helm's 'This Wheel's on Fire' is a good account of the career of The Band.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭p to the e

I enjoyed the start of Slash's autobiography but it eventually just became the same story over and over again. Got wasted, played on-stage, fingered some chick! Possibly the best book I've come across in terms of excesses was Brian Wilson's book "Wouldn't it be nice". As recommenced earlier in the thread, it truly shows his collapse into madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

+1 on Wonderland Avenue - I think it is out of print so hard to get. You might find it second hand somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭rock whore

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hell-Bent-Leather-Confessions-Addict/dp/000716176X/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1349720261&sr=1-3

as a fellow rock guitarist this is a brilliant, self-depracating, self-aware and painfully funny memoir of the career of an unsuccessful rock musician. If your OH is in a rock group , or has ever been in one, he will recognise and sympathise with this lad so much :)

Advertisement