Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bulbs blowing,huge bill...

Options
  • 25-02-2012 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭

I'm wondering if anyone here could shed some light(Oh how I make myself laugh!!) on this here issue? I live in a 30 year old bungalow.Most every week at least one sometimes 3-4 bulbs might blow. When the shower is turned on the lights dim,quite considerably,once it's turned off they brighten again. The last electricity bill we recieved was for €300!!We don't over use any major appliances. As normal we are out working,kids at school so there's virtually no electricity use during the day.There's only 4 of us in the house. I'm wondering if there might be some sort of 'surge' or any other reason for these things to happen. I just don't want to get an electrician,pay them €50 and have them say they can't help.Any ideas or advice would be really appreciated,thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Turn EVERYTHING off and check to see if the meter is still counting.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Wow, thanks for the swift reply! Do you mean to just switch appliances off or turn off the whole lot of the electricty to the house?Should the meter stop straight away? If it's still moving I guess that means we have some sort of problem...Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

turn off the main switch and see if the meter stops turning. if so then turn it back on and then turn off everything electrical that u can think of and then see if it stops.. if not u then have to investigate and see if u have any pumps or outdoor equipment that maybe constantly running eating up your electricity...

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Gerard93

The last electricity bill we recieved was for €300!!
    Its possible that your last bill was based on estimated readings, check this with previous bills etc and check current meter reading and the last reading on the bill, it will give you an indication of useage since your last bill.

Can't help you on the bulbs blowing or when the shower goes on lights dim..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

shower dimming lights is usually esbn voltage drop

if it's 'serious' you can ring them after you get it checked

-it can also be an issue at consumer unit or even meter,cut-out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭daludo

lights dimming due to current drawn by el shower,happens a lot.bulbs prob blowing due to constant fluctuations in voltage.are there any big users of electricity living near u?eg,farms,welders etc.

Thanks so much again for the advice. Getting work done(not electrical unfortunately) in the kitchen,so when this is finished I'll turn off the mains and see what happens. We do live near farms,could that really affect the lights?The last bill was not an estimate.I rang to discuss it and the girl was also shocked at the usagae. She confirmed by going through previous bills that it was way over our usual usage.But she said it was up to us to figure it out! I found that odd. We don't have any pumps or things like that running constantly-or at all as a matter of fact. It's just a regular house,tv at weekends,shower,fridge, computer,nothing extreeme. It will be the weekend before I can turn off the mains so I'll report back! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

WIHT your last ESB bill would that include Christmas lights, our bill jumped by 40 euro, put that down ti extra use of lights over winter, and xmas decorations.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,474 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

maybe get an electricity monitor and turn everything off and one by one turn them back on to see which are the biggest culprits
    http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/9365715/Trail/searchtext%3EELECTRICITY+MONITOR.htm
    http://www.shopireland.ie/electronics/detail/B002C76WTW/owl-cm119-cm-119-energy/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Our most recent bill today was for 230, which I thought was heavy. Two adults 3 kids.
    2200sq ft no electric heating, but using dw everyday and td and wm every second day.

Have noticed a few of the so called long life bulbs giving up the ghost lately, but nothing extreme like voltage drops.
    Hevent yet checked older bills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭dak

I got an electricityy monitor after the last bill based on actuals was €363 for 2 months 2 adult 3 kids. Largest Culprits I found

Electric shower 9.5Kw Houre = nearly €1:80 for an hour
    Kettle/ Washmachine/ Tumbler dryer = all 3 to 4kw per hour

HD boxes in standby 300 watts. Leave it on all day and it soon adds up .

We have a lot of 12volt 50watt spotlights - also heavy on juice. I have just changed them all to 35W . IKEA a great spot for bulbs . 2 x 35watt halogens €1.95. I also changed to LED tablelamps . IKEA had ones that are flexible with an LED diode. Kids can use them as study lamps but if you point them straight up they make great uplighters.

Best advise . unplug every thing thats not in use and educate the kids to turn off when not in use !

dak wrote: »
    I got an electricityy monitor after the last bill based on actuals was €363 for 2 months 2 adult 3 kids. Largest Culprits I found

Electric shower 9.5Kw Houre = nearly €1:80 for an hour
    Kettle/ Washmachine/ Tumbler dryer = all 3 to 4kw per hour

HD boxes in standby 300 watts. Leave it on all day and it soon adds up .

We have a lot of 12volt 50watt spotlights - also heavy on juice. I have just changed them all to 35W . IKEA a great spot for bulbs . 2 x 35watt halogens €1.95. I also changed to LED tablelamps . IKEA had ones that are flexible with an LED diode. Kids can use them as study lamps but if you point them straight up they make great uplighters.

Best advise . unplug every thing thats not in use and educate the kids to turn off when not in use !

the white goods are only 2-3
    the showers are usually less than 9.5 here at 230v-depending on model

hd box on standby 300 watts?

M cebee wrote: »
    the white goods are only 2-3
    the showers are usually less than 9.5 here at 230v-depending on model

hd box on standby 300 watts?

My white goods are 3 to 4kw .. I'm sure a lot are 2 to 3 also but it will depend on model , spec and age.

Showers in Ireland are usually 8.5kw ie Triton but I replaced my last worn out 8.5 with a 9.5KW

On UPC boxes you can alter power consumption on standby . Mine was on high power usage while in standby but I have changed the setting to lowest.. in fact I unplug it when not in use !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

HD boxes in standby 300 watts . :eek:

We have a lot of 12volt 50watt spotlights - Swap out for 3w LED :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Sky HD Box spec taken from here;-

http://www.sky.com/helpcentre/export/sites/www.sky.com/helpcentre/__PDF/8378_SkyxHD_Manual_Online_2610.pdf_1314843347.pdf

Specifications
    DRX890 Specifications
    Operating voltage: 230V AC; 50Hz
    Power consumption: 45W (max.) / LNB switching +13/+18VDC 275mA MAX/22kHz
    Weight: 4.1kg (packed)
    Dimensions: 346mm x 255mm x 73mm (inc. rubber feet and connectors)
    UHF modulator: CCIR PAL System I; Ch. 21 to 69 (factory setting is 68)
    Operating temp. range: +5°C to +45°C
    Storage temp. range: -20°C to +60°C
    Hard disk capacity: 500GB (250GB personal storage space)
    Connectors
    MAINS INPUT: IEC 60320 2-pin
    DISH INPUT 1: female F-type 75Ω (950-2150 MHz)
    DISH INPUT 2: female F-type 75Ω (950-2150 MHz)
    TELEPHONE LINE: RJ11, V90
    RS-232: DB-9 female, data communications equipment
    (DCE) / EIA/TIA-232-E ITU-T V.28 115.2 kbit/s (max.)
    AERIAL IN: IEC 60169-2 female
    RF OUT-1: IEC 60169-2 male
    RF OUT-2: IEC 60169-2 male
    DIGITAL AUDIO OUT: OPTICAL and COAXIAL digital-audio sockets for 5.1 surround sound
    AUDIO OUT (L and R): Phono sockets (RCA)
    COMPOSITE VIDEO OUT: Phono sockets (RCA)
    USB 2.0 : (for future connectivity) front and rear connectors
    SCART: SCART (composite video out; RGB out)
    : 1.1 type A
    ETHERNET: (for future connectivity) RJ45, IEEE802.3 10-BASE-T and 100BASE-TX
    SATA: external HDD interface, SATA 1.0a
    The following specifications are for the Sky±HD box made by BSkyB, Pace, Samsung and Thomson. Specifications may change without notice.
    Hereby, BSkyB declares that this set-top box is in compliance with the essential requirements and other relevant provisions
    of the following Directives: 2006/95/EC (LVD Directive); 2004/108/EC (EMC Directive); 1999/5/EC (R&TTE Directive).
    If you connect earthed equipment to the RS-232 port, you must use an approved screened cable.
    The model number, serial number and electrical rating of this set-top box are on a label on its base and rear.
    BSkyB, Grant Way, Isleworth, Middlesex TW7 5QD
    DRX780 Specifications
    Operating voltage: 230V AC; 50Hz
    Power consumption: 45W (max.) / LNB switching +13/+18VDC 275mA MAX/22kHz
    Weight: 5kg (packed)
    Dimensions: 399mm x 295mm x 81mm (inc. rubber feet and connectors)
    UHF modulator: CCIR PAL System I; Ch. 21 to 69 (factory setting is 68)
    Operating temp. range: +5°C to +45°C
    Storage temp. range: -20°C to +60°C
    Hard disk capacity: 320GB (160GB personal storage space)
    300GB (160GB personal storage space)
    Connectors
    MAINS INPUT: IEC 60320 2-pin
    DISH INPUT 1: female F-type 75Ω (950-2150 MHz)
    DISH INPUT 2: female F-type 75Ω (950-2150 MHz)
    TELEPHONE LINE: RJ11, V90
    RS-232: DB-9 female, data communications equipment
    (DCE) / EIA/TIA-232-E ITU-T V.28 115.2 kbit/s (max.)
    AERIAL IN: IEC 60169-2 female
    RF OUT-1: IEC 60169-2 male
    RF OUT-2: IEC 60169-2 male
    DIGITAL AUDIO OUT: OPTICAL and COAXIAL digital-audio sockets for 5.1 surround sound
    AUDIO OUT (L and R): Phono sockets (RCA)
    USB 2.0 : (for future connectivity) front and rear connectors
    VCR/DVD SCART: SCART (composite video in/out; RGB in/out)
    TV SCART: SCART (composite video out; RGB out)
    : 1.1 type A
    ETHERNET: (for future connectivity) RJ45, IEEE802.3 10-BASE-T and 100BASE-TX
    S-VIDEO OUT: 4-way mini-

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭Mr Digger

@sincere113, Thats put that to bed...unless he has 6 or 7 of them

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

its great to see a sky box is only 45w but he is talking about a UPC box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

OP you live in a 35 year old bungalow. Chances are you have a 35 year old ESB meter.

The ESB are quitely replacing the old spinningtop type meter with an electronic unit.

I took issue with them, after a year and a half I got €500 back off them and am happy enough with my bill since.

Get them to change your meter.

13amp appliances about 3kw max
    nowhere near 4

shower maybe 9.5 if its 230v 9.5

upc box standby shouls be a few watts-no way near 300

nowhere near 4

Hi M cebee . I don't want to get into an arguement over the detail . The usage was based on viewing an energy monitor and watching it spike when the variance appliances were turned on . Not an exact science I know and the reading for the white appliances could have been overstated if the fridge for example cut in . I agree that 3kw is the max loading on a 13amp fuse .

Shower is correct and I will test the HD box a few times to see what the avg test result is .

I'm not an electrician ..just a householder trying to cut down the electricity bill.

I assume you are a sparkie M cebeee and if you are would you know where I would get GU10 fittings for 5w LED spots ( non dimming ones) . Ikea selling 5W LED spot bulbs for €8 compared to €20 on electricity Ireland site. Can any LED's be used with a dimmer switch ?

• Advertisement

nowhere near 4

Hi M cebee . I don't want to get into an arguement over the detail . The usage was based on viewing an energy monitor and watching it spike when the variance appliances were turned on . Not an exact science I know and the reading for the white appliances could have been overstated if the fridge for example cut in . I agree that 3kw is the max loading on a 13amp fuse .

Shower is correct and I will test the HD box a few times to see what the avg test result is .

I'm not an electrician ..just a householder trying to cut down the electricity bill.

I assume you are a sparkie M cebeee and if you are would you know where I would get GU10 fittings for 5w LED spots ( non dimming ones) . Ikea selling 5W LED spot bulbs for €8 compared to €20 on electricity Ireland site. Can any LED's be used with a dimmer switch ?

nowhere near 4

im not arguing

just getting facts straight

people read these threads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

From UPC's HD box's instruction manual:

Nominal power consumption: 28w max
    Standby power consumption: 15w max
    Low Power Standby Mode: 0.75w max

Interesting to see the the low power standby mode is 20 times lees than the standard standby mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

even 15 is high enough
    does low power standby cut in automatically or what
    There's a hard drive amongst other things in it I suppose.

The low power standby is a setting you can activate. I think the start up time of the box is a bit longer on the lower setting, and that's about it.
    You can also set it to automatically switch to standby if inactive, with a night time only option on that, so that it won't knock off if you are watching golf or something over a few hours.

cast_iron wrote: »
    even 15 is high enough
    does low power standby cut in automatically or what
    There's a hard drive amongst other things in it I suppose.

The low power standby is a setting you can activate. I think the start up time of the box is a bit longer on the lower setting, and that's about it.
    You can also set it to automatically switch to standby if inactive, with a night time only option on that, so that it won't knock off if you are watching golf or something over a few hours.

yes I deleted that after I realised it had been answered already

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

trad wrote: »
    OP you live in a 35 year old bungalow. Chances are you have a 35 year old ESB meter.

The ESB are quitely replacing the old spinningtop type meter with an electronic unit.

I took issue with them, after a year and a half I got €500 back off them and am happy enough with my bill since.

Get them to change your meter.

The very old meters magnetically saturate at a lower load than modern houses often demand, with the result that having it replaced with a new modern one, can cause the bill to be higher, reflecting its true reading.

Probably older ones than from the 70`s though.

nowhere near 4

I would get the led bulbs and fittings at a electrical wholesaler
    the philips master led range is popular here

Wow,lots of information there!I'll definitely try the halogen and LED lights,worth a try anyway. Any appliance we don't use regularly is always unplugged until required.Computer,t.v, well that's it-we're not a family of major energy users. The meter is of the old style spinning type. Though if changing it will increase our bill I think I just might leave it as such!I am aware that electricity bills increased but this is a tad beyond a joke.Another bill due in a few weeks so it will be interesting to see what it's for.Seems it's not just myself who is more than a little concerned with quite pricey bills.Thanks so much for all the info and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

300w! That's a lot for standby. Would make me question my leaving everything either in standby and chargers etc plugged in!
    Though my electricity bill is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of Swiss living costs! 300w sounds ridiculous I've a UPC my UPC Hd on standby constantly what a waste it seems

• Advertisement

heate wrote: »
    300w! That's a lot for standby. Would make me question my leaving everything either in standby and chargers etc plugged in!
    Though my electricity bill is pretty insignificant in the grand scheme of Swiss living costs! 300w sounds ridiculous I've a UPC my UPC Hd on standby constantly what a waste it seems

Apologies Heate. I got that one totally wrong. Someone must have switched a light on in the house when I was checking the change in consumption . Its more like 25w after testing it a few times. Still leaving it in standby 24/7 is costing €40 euro a year .

Advertisement