Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physical Therapist/Physiotherapy Courses

Options
  • 25-02-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi.

I have a degree in economics and geography that I completed in 2008. I worked as a trainee accountant and an administrator and didn't like it.

I was hoping to go down the physical therapy/physiotherapist route? Which is better?

I would be very grateful for any feedback.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Spokes of Glory

You're opening a can of worms here, but I'll give you my insight anyway. In a nutshell, chartered physios come from a public hospital environment and have exposure to a wider range of pathlogical conditions that would typically be outside the scope of a physical therapist (think burns victims, geriatrics etc). the normal course of study is full time via one the universities.

Physical therapists focus on musculo-skeletal and soft-tissue conditions (think low back pain, hamstring strain, shoulder pain etc) and work in private practise normally. The only HETAC degree accredited course I know of is the IPTAS one in Dublin, although the title of "physical therapist" is not a protected one, so anybody can claim to be one, and you need to be careful here.

As to which is "better", it depends on what environment you wish top work in, what populations you see yourself dealing with, and what kind of study you are in a position to commit to.

You'll hear many comments (and radio ads) that chartered physios are the only credible form of therapist. Thats not my experience and I'd suggest you try a visit with each before you make your decision.

Spokes

Advertisement