Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

876 jamacian number constantly ringing me scam

Options
  • 25-02-2012 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭

Since 8am yesterday morn i have had an (876)445 xxx number ringing me constantly. Up to 10 calls per hours all through night also. if you answer you get a voice male/female sometimes very hard to understand saying fairly stupid stuff "raul where you at" "please ring me back" and i have gotten a few texts with just "WMP12". Have called o2 and they can do little for me as no charges have occurred on my account but its a pain in the ass. I've tried hurling abuse at the callers. The numbers keep changing so its some kind of computer/dialler/ with real people scam.....

any advise ? what can i do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

This isnt really a solution, but you can go into 'diverts' in your phone and send those calls straight to voice mail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Not a scam, just some people dialing the wrong number.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had something similar, except it would ring once and then hang up. And they would do this several times in a row.

I presume the idea is to get you to call them back.

What I did was to pounce the second the phone rang and answer it, so it cost them money. It soon stopped after that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭davgtrek

It's far from a few people with wrong number. The number keeps changing and it's relentless. About 20 diff numbers all with same prefix used at this stage.
    Not a scam, just some people dialing the wrong number.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

It has to be an auto dialer.

• Advertisement

Latest now was that a blocked number came up and it was a woman claiming she got a text on her other phone that said I won a prize etc. I spoke with her for about 30 seconds and laid it out clear to her that I had her tracked down to Kingston and was getting closer to finding the company name eyc. So a few missed calls last night and now some threatening texts from them with everything spelt wrong in them etc.
    I'll see how today goes.
    wmpdd3 wrote: »
    It has to be an auto dialer.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭vicM

Pick up tell them to wait a sec, pop it onto hold and continue watching tv

they have ceased ringing me finally. They were fairly consistent over past 4 days and i got a few fairly abusive texts also. It seems that the scam is to get you to ring them ( thus incurring hefty phone charges of which they get a share ) to give out/tell them to shag off etc. so DON'T!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I've seen pictures of these kind of Jamaican scam operations before

coolrunnings_display_image.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Forward the call to someone you dont like

• Advertisement
Advertisement