Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registration Document for Boats?

• 25-02-2012 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I am a newbee in boats, currently looking for one, and I think I found what I was looking for.
    Wanna buy it on Monday, do a course than to be prepared to go on the water this summer :)

My question is if there is any registration on boats in Ireland like for cars?
    Will I get any document that states that I am the owner of the boat?

Thanks,

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

For most secondhand boats you will not get any paper work unless you are up in the big money range, buying new or commercial, Most boats are just sold as seen with very little comeback.

Some helpful tips here. http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/recreational_activities_in_ireland/sport_and_leisure/licensing_of_boats_and_watercraft_in_ireland.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

I have used the RYA bill of sale before - although it is not Irish, at least its something:

http://www.rya.org.uk/sitecollectiondocuments/legal/Web%20Documents/Legal%20Leaflets/Members%20Advice/Bill%20of%20Sale/BILL%20OF%20SALE.pdf

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

moerkel wrote: »
    Hi,

I am a newbee in boats, currently looking for one, and I think I found what I was looking for.
    Wanna buy it on Monday, do a course than to be prepared to go on the water this summer :)

Thanks,

British boats are on the Small crafts register hense SCR before the number
    you can register a boat with the ISA hense the IE before the number
    It isnt legal proof of ownership
    you can also register sail numbers for racing.

the following is legal proof
    http://www.sailing.ie/Cruising/RegisteringYourYacht.aspx

But why bother paying anther 500 or so if you already have the proof of sale?

http://www.waterwaysireland.org/index.cfm/section/article/page/BoatRegistration
    All boats with an engine capacity of more than 10bhp on the Erne System and 15bhp on the Shannon-Erne Waterway and the Shannon Navigation must be registered with the Waterways Ireland Inspectorate. Registration is free of charge and can be completed by contacting the Inspectorate Office closest to you, or by downloading the Registration Forms
    On the Barrow Navigation, Grand Canal and Royal Canal boats must display a valid Permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 orion50

moerkel wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks,

I typed up an invoice with the sellers name and address on it and the boat particulars, agreed amount and the date of sale. Thought it might give me some proof of ownership if it was ever to be an issue. It might be if you were to bring the boat abroad, otherwise unlikely to ever be an issue until you go to sell her again.
    Seller was a little taken aback when I asked him to sign it (" I never had to sign anything like this when I bought her") but I held my ground.
    If I was doing it again I would add another bit where the seller signs a declaration that the boat he is selling is free of debt or any outstanding mortage - just in case someone tries to repossess it someday...

Advertisement