Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Designing a Sport Shop website. Question about payments on-site

Options
  • 25-02-2012 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Hi there,

I've been asked by a sports shop to design an e-commerce website for them. They're based in Ireland and their customers are predominantly Irish. The will be selling a few hundred products on the site from GAA gear to training equipment. I have a question about what payment solution to integrate to the website.

If your customer base is Irish then you should allow them to pay using laser cards. Therefore I should be getting the customer to set up an online merchant account and then I would integrate with realex (or similar). Well that was always the theory. But, is this as important now since laser cards are being phased out? Maybe in 12 - 15 months, all laser cards will be phased out and people will be using Visa Debit cards. So does this make the requirement to integrate with Realex redundant? Will I be able to just connect with PayPal and will those who have Visa Debit cards be able to pay on the site if it's just linked with PayPal.

I'm not that familiar with Visa Debit. The preference would be just to link with PayPal because it's far less complex and the costs are significantly lower. Can anyone shed any light? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Hi there,

I've been asked by a sports shop to design an e-commerce website for them. They're based in Ireland and their customers are predominantly Irish. The will be selling a few hundred products on the site from GAA gear to training equipment. I have a question about what payment solution to integrate to the website.

If your customer base is Irish then you should allow them to pay using laser cards. Therefore I should be getting the customer to set up an online merchant account and then I would integrate with realex (or similar). Well that was always the theory. But, is this as important now since laser cards are being phased out? Maybe in 12 - 15 months, all laser cards will be phased out and people will be using Visa Debit cards. So does this make the requirement to integrate with Realex redundant? Will I be able to just connect with PayPal and will those who have Visa Debit cards be able to pay on the site if it's just linked with PayPal.

I'm not that familiar with Visa Debit. The preference would be just to link with PayPal because it's far less complex and the costs are significantly lower. Can anyone shed any light? Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Visa debit is essentially just Visa in terms of payments online, so it should work fine.

Two things that stand out to me. 12-15 months is a long time to be excluding Laser payments unless your website won't be online for another 9 months or so.

Also, don't rely on Paypal as the sole form of payment. A lot of people don't like to use it so it could deter them from purchasing. It's also expensive for the seller so you'd be better off with the likes of Realex if you're getting good sales.

Advertisement