Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Higher Diploma in Law

Options
  • 25-02-2012 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11

Hi,

I'm in my early 30s with a wife, child and mortgage. Having messed around with different jobs during my life I have decided its really time I cop on. I have always been interested in law, having studied it at school, but did a degree in a humanities subject. I am looking into doing a higher diploma in law in order to convert (have I understood this part correctly) my studies into this field.

My first question would be; am I too old to consider switching into this path?

Second question; is the higher diploma the right route to go down and where does it?

Third; how long does it take to get the ppc1 exams after the higher diploma? Obviously I don't expect to become Mr Solicitor overnight, but I have to look at the affordability in the long term. I think the salary rate at pre-ppc1 level would be a struggle, but after it would be quite manageable. Obviously I know it would all be worth it in the long run because I would have a career that interested me and would be well rewarded.

Please don't take that to mean that I am money-driven. I have qualifications that can get me a good salary more quickly, but not in an area that interests me, which is my primary concern. Its just that with a mortgage, wife and child I have to be realistic too.

Also, I have found a lot of details on becoming a solicitor, but very little regarding becoming a barrister. What is the apprenticeship route for this?

Furthermore (and sorry for all the questions), I would be interested in European Law (and I speak Italian to a high level). What should I do to put myself in a position to practice this in the future both in terms of the diploma and also in getting qualification in Italian.

Thanks a lot, and because I'm not sure have I put this in the right place sorry if I'm mistaken.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Il Citta wrote: »
    My first question would be; am I too old to consider switching into this path?
    AFAIK, no. But it's very competitive to get a training contract nowadays.
    Second question; is the higher diploma the right route to go down and where does it?
    You'd need a recognised law degree for the King's Inn (to become a barrister) but not to become a solicitor so a H.Dip will be fine to give you the basics for the FE1s. However, getting a training contract without a law degree might be tricky. You could always do an LLB (I know NUIG offer a part time one that can be done 3 years full time or 4 years part time, and you might be able to get exemptions based around your previous study)

Also, I have found a lot of details on becoming a solicitor, but very little regarding becoming a barrister. What is the apprenticeship route for this?
    Basically you need a recognised law degree, you then apply to the King's Inn and sit their entrance examinations then spend a year doing the BL before devilling (basically an apprentice barrister) for a year. Keep in mind the KI fees are very high and devilling means working for free.
    Furthermore (and sorry for all the questions), I would be interested in European Law (and I speak Italian to a high level). What should I do to put myself in a position to practice this in the future both in terms of the diploma and also in getting qualification in Italian.
    Under the EU's free movement of establishment you can practice across the EU. If you qualified as an Irish solicitor (for example) and practised in Italy for 3 years you could then claim the Italian qualification. Failing that, the EU hires lawyers so if you've a good level of European languages then it's a good bet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

Lockstep wrote: »

You'd need a recognised law degree for the King's Inn (to become a barrister)

Not strictly true. A Diploma in Law run by the King's Inns will suffice in lieu of a law degree.

Advertisement