Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Soccer for juniors?

Options
  • 25-02-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I'm looking to get my 6yr old playing soccer regularly at a local club - preferably at weekends. Can anyone recommend a club in or around Wexford Town? I will be signing him up for FAI summer school but would like to get something regular organised.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭jpb1974

There are quite a few clubs in Wexford town. Some that spring to mind include North End, Wexford Albion, Park Hotspur, Wexford Bohs, Wexford Celtic.

Best find out which one is closest to you and take it from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

jpb1974 wrote: »
    There are quite a few clubs in Wexford town. Some that spring to mind include North End, Wexford Albion, Park Hotspur, Wexford Bohs, Wexford Celtic.

Best find out which one is closest to you and take it from there.

All those clubs play Football though not soccer :D:D FAI = Football Association of Ireland

Soccer is played in the USA !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

The Wexford & District Schoolboys League website will have all the info you need. The link takes you to the club directory page.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

vicwatson wrote: »
    All those clubs play Football though not soccer :D:D FAI = Football Association of Ireland

Soccer is played in the USA !

:rolleyes:

http://www.summersoccerschools.ie/about-summer-soccer-schools

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Raver8

I began playing soccer at the age of about 8 with North End, then after a year played with Wexford Albion until I was 17 (somehow still qualified for the under 16 league... go figure!), then moved to Park Hotspurs.

As far as I am aware, Park Hotspurs do not have underage teams, at least they didn't up until a few years ago!

• Advertisement

TheChevron wrote: »

What does the "F" stand for in all of these -

FAI
    UEFA
    FIFA
    FA Cup
    FA Premier League
    CONCACAF
    CONMEBOL
    CAF
    AFC
    OFC

Not a mention of "soccer" in the official titles anywhere:rolleyes:

The link that you provided is purely another attempt by the FAI (along with RTE) of trying to Americanise us with their "Soccer Ball" rethoric.

Real Football fans call it what it is - FOOTBALL, and nothing else !

So how does soccer in America differ to football in say England or Spain then?

So how does soccer in America differ to football in say England or Spain then?

In name, the game is called Football NOT Soccer, the Americans use the word Soccer to distinguish it from (American) Football.

Right... and if you call it 'soccer' you're not a real football fan.

And all these years...

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Soccer / Football........? Is the important thing here the fact that the Op is looking for some advice on where their 6 year old can play the game in or around Wexford.

There are definitely others around the town but the only club that i personally know of that run a kids club are Wexford Celtic.

Hope your 6 year old enjoys himself / herself....isn't that what it's all about after all?

DC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭mrkite77

vicwatson wrote: »
    Not a mention of "soccer" in the official titles anywhere:rolleyes:

The term "soccer" comes from the term "association", which is indeed in many of the official titles you listed (the term soccer also originates in the UK, not in the US).

It was to differentiate it from rugby football and other football games like Gaelic football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 dreamerking

North End United are probably the best team in the county. They have good coaches and good facilities. I would choose them over the other teams if I were you.

mrkite77 wrote: »
    The term "soccer" comes from the term "association", which is indeed in many of the official titles you listed (the term soccer also originates in the UK, not in the US).

It was to differentiate it from rugby football and other football games like Gaelic football.

And your point is?

The term soccer is used predominantly in the United States and the term from which it derives - ASSOC, was a slang term, as it's full official title used to be know as Association Football back in the 1860's - the game is now called Football officially elsewhere across the world. In the USA they only dropped the word Football in 1974 - they used to call it the U.S. Soccer Football Association, nowadays just the U.S. Soccer Federation.

I didn't invent the name, I'm just telling you like it is. Football is the official name for the game NOT Soccer.

Football is the official name for the game NOT Soccer.

Does it really matter... seriously?

In the context of the Wexford forum and the OP's original post it's not worth the debate.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

The Americans say Tomatoes. Everyone else say Tomatoes
    The Americans say Aluminium. Everyone else say Aluminium
    The Americans say Vacuum cleaner. Everyone else say Hoover
    The Americans say Garbage. Everyone else say Rubbish
    The Americans say Soccer. Everyone else say Football.

So we will leave it at that Guys.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

I had to delete another post here today.

The OP just wants recommendations as to where a 6 year old can play SOCCER/FOOTBALL
    at the weekends in Wexford town.

Again I will say this So we will leave it at that Guys.

Advertisement