Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish oral - help!

• 25-02-2012 3:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am repeating the Honours Irish as an external student and tbh I think i've bitten off more than I can chew but if anyone could help me find notes on the picture sequences and the main topics people are studying in class I would be v.v. grateful! I have Liofa which is excellent but because I'm not in a classroom am starting to panic over what topics may come up! cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭grantyrs10

For the Sraith Pictiúr I'd reccomend you buy Gléas Nótaí, excellent coverage of the sraiths but also good for poems and stories.

With regard to the main topics I have studied for the oral they are :

Mé féin
    mo theaghlach
    spórt
    scoil
    caitheamh aimsire m.sh pictiúrlann,leabhair,scannáin a chonaic tú,An clár teiliise i fearr leat.ceol
    Laethanta Saoire
    Post páirtaimseartha.

For the more abstract topics i would focus in on:
    AN Cúlú eacnamáiochta
    Drugaí
    AN t'alcól
    foréigean
    an córas oideachais
    an córas sláinte

Try and stay up to date on the news approaching the oral, foinse is very uselful for the like

Good luck !:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18 scoooby

Also:
    Mo cheantar
    Ollscoil
    Slí Bheatha

Really good notes here:
    http://www.scoilnet.ie/ScruduBeil2012.shtm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

For the 5 mark introduction what do you do if your name in english doesn't have an irish equivalent? Give your name in english?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

thanks lads and ladies thats exactly what I needed, will buy that book asap it's a long shot but i'm gonna try my hardest to pass it!! If you're name has no Irish equivalent then say it in English sure what else can you do??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

frulewis wrote: »
    If you're name has no Irish equivalent then say it in English sure what else can you do??

make one up? all the stuff about your family is made up anyway. There's guys going in there saying their entire family and their uncles and aunts go skiing every weekend in leitrim. do you have to give your real date of birth if it's a tricky number to say? I thought they weren't supposed to know your name anyway; that it was all anonymous; isn't that the reason for the student number? As long as you give the examiner the right exam number what difference does the rest of the information make? Do they have your date of birth in front of them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

pathway33 wrote: »
    frulewis wrote: »
    If you're name has no Irish equivalent then say it in English sure what else can you do??

make one up? all the stuff about your family is made up anyway. There's guys going in there saying their entire family and their uncles and aunts go skiing every weekend in leitrim. do you have to give your real date of birth if it's a tricky number to say? I thought they weren't supposed to know your name anyway; that it was all anonymous; isn't that the reason for the student number? As long as you give the examiner the right exam number what difference does the rest of the information make? Do they have your date of birth in front of them?

Well my friend said last year that for her French oral, the examiner told them to say their name and date of birth in English to him as it's really important for him to get that right straight away too.( i think that's before the taping starts) and yes, I'm almost certain they have your name and date of birth infront of them as you have to sign a form so making up strange names and dates of birth would confuse the examiner and also they might think you don't know it! hope it helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 rua123

hey, hows a goin. not sure, but think theres a day course being run in kildare ed centre near the end of the march, concentrating on the oral irish, might b helpful re conversational irish. good luk!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭frulewis

I thought they'd have your name in front of them but if they don't then get inventive!! All mine will be made up i'm just a bit worried that because i'm 27 that they'll start asking me questions about why i'm repeating etc.. and I won't understand and then faint with fright :P will look up that course in Kildare for definite cheers :D

Advertisement