Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greasy hair after washing!

• 25-02-2012 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I got my hair cut recently, it was past my shoulders and now it's just below my chin. Since I cut it everytime I wash it it's greasy straight away! Just on the underneath parts around my ear and the nape of my neck - not at the roots or anything!

I haven't changed my diet or my shampoo or anything! Does anyone have any idea how this is happening?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Lolabear

hey lost girly!

I found that when my hair was shorter i was washing it often so i could style it easyer...

Maybe this is your problem??
    washing hair to often can cause it to go greasy quicker... so maybe use dryshampoo instead of washing it?!?!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LostGirly

No I dont think so I haven't changed my routine of washing every three days I just don't get it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭jokettle

Something similar happened to me a few months ago, I was getting apparently spontaneous greasy patches that even clarifying shampoo couldn't get rid of. Some kind people on here recommended washing with fairy liquid. I did that twice and the grease disappeared, hasn't been seen since!

Maybe try a clarifying shampoo first, the Aussie Mega shampoo is quite good. If you see no improvement then it may be time to bring out the fairy liquid. And if it does come to that, remember to use a deep conditioning treatment afterwards; I went with Aussie's 3 minute miracle.

jokettle wrote: »
    Something similar happened to me a few months ago, I was getting apparently spontaneous greasy patches that even clarifying shampoo couldn't get rid of. Some kind people on here recommended washing with fairy liquid. I did that twice and the grease disappeared, hasn't been seen since!

Maybe try a clarifying shampoo first, the Aussie Mega shampoo is quite good. If you see no improvement then it may be time to bring out the fairy liquid. And if it does come to that, remember to use a deep conditioning treatment afterwards; I went with Aussie's 3 minute miracle.

Thanks a mill, I'll try that today, never knew there was such a thing as clarifying shampoo! That's great, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

And for emergency fixes, use dry shampoo after you wash your hair! I use it on my fringe after it's freshly washed and it stops it getting greasy throughout the day!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭lil_tuts

This happens if i use expensive shampoos to many ingredients in them so i use a light shampoo now and a good conditioner at the ends. I love pantene they do 2 really light shampoos that I use, Aqua Light and maybe once a week I use there clarifying shampoo to remove build up. My hair has never been so healthy .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

Hi there,

Just wondering maybe you are using too much shampoo when washing - you are probably using the same amount you used when your hair was long - but you wouldnt need that much now. Worth a try:)
    I have suffered with greasey hair all my life - have to wash it everyday. But I think everyone should was their hair everyday - same as the bod!

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Just wondering maybe you are using too much shampoo when washing - you are probably using the same amount you used when your hair was long - but you wouldnt need that much now. Worth a try:)
    I have suffered with greasey hair all my life - have to wash it everyday. But I think everyone should was their hair everyday - same as the bod!

Any hairdresser will tell you , your hair shouldn't be washed everyday your stripping it of its natural oils. and as a result its going to get oilier and oilier to rehydrate itself . I have terrible oily skin and hair but with the right knowledge and products its fixable .

lil_tuts wrote: »
    Any hairdresser will tell you , your hair shouldn't be washed everyday your stripping it of its natural oils. and as a result its going to get oilier and oilier to rehydrate itself . I have terrible oily skin and hair but with the right knowledge and products its fixable .

Well I'm 30 now and i've washed my hair everyday for the past 15-16 years - i've done the thing of not washing it for a few days - it does nothing for my hair what so ever. There was a beauty columist on Ireland AM resently and she said you should wash your hair everyday- my hair has never been dehydrated or i have never suffered with dry ends!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Hair doesn't need to be washed every day; you can actually end up making it greasier by doing that.

OP, as others have said, make sure you're using a clear shampoo, as opposed to an opaque one, and, tbh, if your hair is as short as you say it is, you probably don't need to condition it every time you wash, every other time should suffice. When you do condition, use it only at the very ends, don't let it touch your scalp at all.

When you shampoo, wet your hair, put a €2 coin-sized blob of shampoo into your hands, then massage it into your hair. Make sure you get it right into your temples, then behind your ears, then the nape of your neck, then the crown of your head. Rinse, then repeat. Make sure the water isn't too hot - if it is, your scalp will start sweating and your hair will look greasy again as soon as you dry it. Finish your rinse with a cool blast of water.

Once your hair is dry, try not to touch it too much - nothing makes hair greasy quicker than fiddling with it all the time. If you're not used to having it short, you're probably tucking it behind your ears all the time, or otherwise brushing it out of your face. I know it's hard, but really try to get out of this habit - you'll get much, much longer out of each wash if you can.

Also, if you have a fringe and your skin is oily, it's going to make your hair greasy too. Try switching to a mattifying moisturiser & foundation.

Good luck!

• Advertisement

MIRMIR82 wrote: »
    Well I'm 30 now and i've washed my hair everyday for the past 15-16 years - i've done the thing of not washing it for a few days - it does nothing for my hair what so ever. There was a beauty columist on Ireland AM resently and she said you should wash your hair everyday- my hair has never been dehydrated or i have never suffered with dry ends!

A few days of not washing your hair after 15 years of washing it every day isn't going to make any difference - it takes a good few weeks for your scalp to adjust to a new routine.

And I wouldn't place all my faith in one columnist saying hair should be washed every day, when literally every hairdresser I have ever met has said the opposite.

Honey-ec wrote: »
    A few days of not washing your hair after 15 years of washing it every day isn't going to make any difference - it takes a good few weeks for your scalp to adjust to a new routine.

And I wouldn't place all my faith in one columnist saying hair should be washed every day, when literally every hairdresser I have ever met has said the opposite.

it wasnt just a few days out of 15 years i have tried several times to re-ajust my washing routine within the last 15 years and it never made any difference. I have great hair and i don't think you should have an issue with me washing my hair everyday - its my hair!!!! and it smells and looks great!!!!:p

Thanks everyone, I got a new shampoo that's clear and is specifically for greasy hair, it seems to be working in that my hair wasn't greasy and sticky when I dried it but I still only got one day out of it! Hopefully after awhile of using it I should be good, it says it strips the build up of oils from your hair! Hopefully this will work! I dont actually use conditioner at all in my hair now that it's short! Even when it was long I only used it in a 2in1 shampoo and conditioner!

Hopefully it'll work anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Dark Phoenix

I'd be careful of shampoos for greasy hair as I find sometimes they strip away oil too much and your scalp over compensates and produces more.
    Every so often my hair get greasy like this and washing every second day is no use. So I either lash in a semi permanent colour in a similar share to my hair (brilliant way of de greasing it my mum does it too) or I wash my hair with shampoo with a teaspoon of baking soda mixed in as it removes build up.
    Oh and dry shampoo is a life saver especially the coloured ones

The Shampoo has really worked on my hair but has destroyed my face (well it's the only thing that I can think of) my face has completely broken out in a rash of rough, broken, dry skin! It's horrible and itchy, I just want to claw it off!

LostGirly wrote: »
    The Shampoo has really worked on my hair but has destroyed my face (well it's the only thing that I can think of) my face has completely broken out in a rash of rough, broken, dry skin! It's horrible and itchy, I just want to claw it off!

What shampoo is it ? Sounds like contact dermatitis

What shampoo is it ? Sounds like contact dermatitis

It was Neutrogena T/Gel Dandruff Shampoo For Greasy Hair! What's dermatitis?

Contact dermatitis is a condition in which the skin becomes red, sore,dry or inflamed after direct contact with a substance. There are two kinds of contact dermatitis: irritant or allergic.

Throw out the shampoo and get Pantene aqua light or there clarifying shampoo.

Dont use any creams with fragrance on the area something like E45 will help.

Contact dermatitis is a condition in which the skin becomes red, sore,dry or inflamed after direct contact with a substance. There are two kinds of contact dermatitis: irritant or allergic.

Throw out the shampoo and get Pantene aqua light or there clarifying shampoo.

Dont use any creams with fragrance on the area something like E45 will help.

Thanks a million! I used Simple moisturiser on it last night - no fragrance on it and it still stung like hell! I'll hit the chemist this evening and get both of those!

Thanks

Chat with the pharmacist if you can might recommend something other than E45 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gemi

Chat with the pharmacist if you can might recommend something other than E45 :)

I'd agree chat with the pharmacist. From my own experience with bad spell of dermatitis on my neck and chest last summer, I'd highly recommend Kelkin Vitamin E mosturiser over anything else I tried using. I found it much lighter and far less irritating than even E45, which I would always have used previously.

Stupid question, but how did you manage to get shampoo on your face?

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Stupid question, but how did you manage to get shampoo on your face?

Are you serious?
    How would you not let some of it get in contact with your face? The redness and itchness is mainly along my jaw line, hair line and side of my face! Some under my eyes as well! When you wash out the shampoo from your hair the shampoo filled water is going to run down your face and body! My upper arms and back are also affected!

I got Eucerin for it! Seems to be working! And a brand new shampoo too!

Are you serious?
    How would you not let some of it get in contact with your face? The redness and itchness is mainly along my jaw line, hair line and side of my face! Some under my eyes as well! When you wash out the shampoo from your hair the shampoo filled water is going to run down your face and body! My upper arms and back are also affected!

I got Eucerin for it! Seems to be working! And a brand new shampoo too!

Yes, I was serious, I wasn't being facetious! I've showered with my make-up on and managed to keep it intact when rushing out pretty much straight from work.

But yeah, if you're breaking out pretty much everywhere the suds touch you, then the shampoo obviously isn't agreeing with you. Which is a bit weird, cause T-Gel contains coal-tar and that's normally really good for sensitive skin.

That's a pain in the @rse, after buying it specifically. As someone else said, try the Pantene one, it's in a clear bottle with a blue lid.

Advertisement