Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, how did we all do in the Mocks??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Chavways wrote: »
    Oh right.I just thought they were all HL because you never mentioned it.
    Totz slipped my mind! :P

Fireball07 wrote: »
    It is possible to make a big improvement between the mocks and the real thing. It is also possible to drop down, depending on the toughness of the mock/real thing and how much work you do.

I did improve in every one of my subjects... I worked a small bit more, but the mocks are good preparation, they give you an idea of where to focus your efforts.
    My 2 best results were an A1 in Business (92%) and an A2 in Economics (87%) if I kept pushing myself in these subjects, revised every topic and did every exam question possible between now and June, could my grades fall?

I would be hoping to get 2 A1's in these subjects. I have 5 days off during the Leaving to study Economics so that could help also.

So, basically i'm asking with a lot more serious study and exam analysis, could my grades in these subjects fall? (the mocks seemed to be in line, if not slightly more difficult than past papers btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭That Handsome Devil

Wesc. wrote: »
    But you didn't realllllyyy get that because that would be impossible right? Rigtht!?!?

Ok, in all seriousness, that's how many, 9 subjects with 6 fookin A1's...!? :eek: That's not attainable unless some of those are pass subjects :P

Unless you don't leave your house and study all day :P
    Haha, no, all honours. I just started from fifth year. Doing little bits of work, but consistently like, spread over a long time. Benefits so much in 6th year, cause I felt real comfortable with the 5th year stuff like. I'm hardly a recluse or anything like that though :p IME locking yourself away for hours on end is just counterproductive

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

My 2 best results were an A1 in Business (92%) and an A2 in Economics (87%) if I kept pushing myself in these subjects, revised every topic and did every exam question possible between now and June, could my grades fall?

I would be hoping to get 2 A1's in these subjects. I have 5 days off during the Leaving to study Economics so that could help also.

So, basically i'm asking with a lot more serious study and exam analysis, could my grades in these subjects fall? (the mocks seemed to be in line, if not slightly more difficult than past papers btw)

They could fall, of course. But if you're putting in a lot more work and you're already at that level, then you'd have to think that an A is likely. A bad paper could throw you and certainly don't get complacent but personally, I would have been confident of getting an A in the real thing if I did in the mocks.

I didn't get any A1s in the mocks at all, and got 2 in the real thing. And I would have been reasonably confident about them both.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I've got 5 results back and they were all shít but honestly I don't even care anymore.

French - 81%
    Irish - 54%
    Biology - 47%
    Maths (OL) - 46%
    Chemistry - .............17%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭lolabearxx

if i got 365 in my mocks without any work at all do you think i will manage to pull 500 points out of the bag in june?

ash2012 wrote: »
    i got 390 and need 520 :/ do u think it is possible? well done to everyone. .

im the exact same!! its gona be a long three months..im gona have to lock myself up :/

lolabearxx wrote: »
    if i got 365 in my mocks without any work at all do you think i will manage to pull 500 points out of the bag in june?

It's certainly not impossible, but you will have to do a lot of work to get it. I basically have locked myself up since the start of this year and hope to get 510 in the Mocks (I need a B2 in English though which I hope i'll get). But basically i've been doing 3.5-4 hours solid study every night and about 5-6 hours on a Saturday. My course is 460 but I want to get around 520 for myself. You'll really have to study hard though! Best od luck! :)

Fireball07 wrote: »
    They could fall, of course. But if you're putting in a lot more work and you're already at that level, then you'd have to think that an A is likely. A bad paper could throw you and certainly don't get complacent but personally, I would have been confident of getting an A in the real thing if I did in the mocks.

I didn't get any A1s in the mocks at all, and got 2 in the real thing. And I would have been reasonably confident about them both.
    Thanks! Yep I just need to keep going I suppose! My Geography Teacher has told me that my project is definitely 95%+ material and that with it I could get an A2, she offered to do this for me (as she did with every other member of the class) but I told her i'd rather get a B1 in the Mocks instead of an A2 to keep me motivated!

I got a B3 in Music without the practical which is my strong point. I hope to pull this up to an A2 with serious revision for the Listening and Composing papers. Slightly dubious about this one though.

Have you any advice in regard to achieving A1's?

i got these results on the left with no study in the mocks but on the right is what i'd like to get in the real thing..is it possible?

irish higher 77% - but i'd like an A
    english higher 70% - maybe a few percent more
    maths ordinary 65% - a little higher maybe
    business 73% higher - a littler higher
    music higher - failed - i want a B1 or B2!!!
    chemistry - failed - i would be delighted with c2
    geog- 51% - i want a B :(
    french- not counting in top 6 but i got 59

any help appreciated guys thanks:D

• Advertisement

It's certainly not impossible, but you will have to do a lot of work to get it. I basically have locked myself up since the start of this year and hope to get 510 in the Mocks (I need a B2 in English though which I hope i'll get). But basically i've been doing 3.5-4 hours solid study every night and about 5-6 hours on a Saturday. My course is 460 but I want to get around 520 for myself. You'll really have to study hard though! Best od luck! :)

oh my god thats loads..at least you'll have no regrets though! i think i will :( best of luck,you'll do amazing with all that study!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Impossible LC

heard alot of ppl in my school failed LCVP, lucky that I dropped it in the middle of 5th yr. xD
    but is it really that hard?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Sad thing is I'd say most people are doing that and there's me still doing nothing...in MARCH! I feel like I'm slipping big-time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Merged a few results related threads together. Keep all mocks results chat to this thread please!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Eathrin wrote: »
    Sad thing is I'd say most people are doing that and there's me still doing nothing...in MARCH! I feel like I'm slipping big-time.

I'm in exactly the same boat...except I've gotten worse since the mocks, I haven't opened a book at home in 2 weeks. I'm going to hate myself if I don't get my act together soon.

Ok.. So somehow I posted my results yesterday (i'm nearly sure) and they're gone today! :/ anyway I emailed my English teacher there as she wasn't in on Friday to give us our results so I finally have them all now:

A1 Business
    A2 Economics
    A2 English
    B1 Geography
    B2 Maths
    B3 Music
    B3 Irish
    C2 French
    Distinction LCVP

:D. Total best 6: 510! :P ecstatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Got a beautiful 97% in geography with 2 hours study the night before... The subject is just too easy :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

It has one of the lowest rates of A grades in any subject though

Namlub wrote: »
    It has one of the lowest rates of A grades in any subject though

Yeah but there's a couple of reasons why..

It's definitely has more people taking higher level than say Irish, french or maths.. meaning perhaps less-able students are barely scraping by it.

Also, it is regarded as an easy enough subject so a lot of "dossers" take it..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

It's definitely has more people taking higher level than say Irish, french or maths.. meaning perhaps less-able students are barely scraping by it.

I agree with this just for the fact that I hope it's the case, I sorta want an A in Geography too! :P Another thing is the amount you have to write to get sufficient amount of information on the page!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Yeah, I don't do it so I always wonder how easy or hard it actually is >_>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Got a beautiful 97% in geography with 2 hours study the night before... The subject is just too easy :P

So... is it or isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

I don't think the theory itself is difficult, it's trying to get sufficent SRPs in the timing is what I think is hardest!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I dont get all this 'geography is easy' crap, my teacher makes it really hard by doing the worst optional parts and I just dont get how to cram all the info into your head? :(

I'm oddly excited for school so I can get more mock results haha :P

So... is it or isn't it?

Yes, it is.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

Any good geo revision books to make getting a high grade easier?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Sue Honan's "Exam Skills" is always recommended for geography, there's loads of really good sample answers in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

So... is it or isn't it?

I don't do it but it looks fairly piss easy to me, just like I do business. Yes business is easy enough but that doesn't mean every dosser taking it can get an A just because it has a reputation for being easier than say, Chemistry.

Applied Maths has such a high amount of people getting As because only mathsy people take it. Ironically Applied Maths is one of the harder subjects on the leaving cert.

So... is it or isn't it?
    Well, understanding the concepts is very easy, however understanding the difference between a good statement and an SRP is extremely difficult. For example, i'm looking at my Mock paper here and I wrote a good 10-11 lines of information about the formation of a limestone pavement and I got nothing for it, at all. It's irritating as I know some of the stuff I have written down will get me marks in June but in the Mocks it didn't count! Suppose that's why they're the mocks! 80% just isn't enough for me in Geography when I need at least an A2..

But back to the topic at hand, a subject is only easy if you get it. For example, the majority of people will say the Business Marking scheme is ridiculously complicated, I however, find it easy to understand what the examiners are looking for and will hopefully achieve an A1 in June like I did in the Mock.

But seriously, if you want to talk about easy subjects why aren't many people doing Economics. Don't want to jinx myself here but it is just so simple to understand! I've only been teaching myself a year and missed out on an A1 in the Mock because of not reading a flipping question right! However Business(y) subjects are my thing so I suppose I would find it easy enough!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Sean.

I've got 5 results back and they were all shít but honestly I don't even care anymore.

French - 81%
    Irish - 54%
    Biology - 47%
    Maths (OL) - 46%
    Chemistry - .............17%

81% in French is shít for you? That's better than what anybody in my entire year got!

Advertisement