Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, how did we all do in the Mocks??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Sean. wrote: »
    81% in French is shít for you? That's better than what anybody in my entire year got!
    Well it's my best subject and I wanted an A1 in it! I might sound like one of those "I'm sad with 590 pts" people but that and English are the only things I do well in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Well it's my best subject and I wanted an A1 in it! I might sound like one of those "I'm sad with 590 pts" people but that and English are the only things I do well in!

Now you've got to decide whether it's worthwhile perfecting your good subjects or studying the shít out of Chemistry and the like:)
    If you weren't happy with any of them just forget about it like you said and concentrate on doing well in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

So, so far:
    English - B1 - 85 points. happy of course but lost marks where i dont usually :(
    French - A1 - 100 points. Delighted :D
    Geography - B2 - 80 points. Barely below a B1 and marked way too hard. Gonna try get him to move it up to a B1, but the field study would do that anyway. :P

So, 265 with three subjects, not bad :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Ok so I ended up with 3 A1's, an A2, a B1 and two B3's......that's 575 points... ehhhh bit annoyed that I got a lot of points 'cos now I'll have to do even better in the leaving cert which is not gonna be easy :P Ah sure my course is only like in the 400's anyway haha :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Two back today :D
    Geography got 79% and was shocked how hard the marking was! Aiming for an A2 at least in June anyways :D Seemed my SRP which usually attain full marks or nearly full marks are being given 20/30 :( Annoying...

Got Irish back too :D
    Got 74% so was chuffed to know was in the top 4 in the class abut still the marking again was so strict! Lost nearly 30 marks in essay for making 2 mistaked with fadas and small things :( God!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

David1994 wrote: »
    Two back today :D
    Geography got 79% and was shocked how hard the marking was! Aiming for an A2 at least in June anyways :D Seemed my SRP which usually attain full marks or nearly full marks are being given 20/30 :( Annoying...

Got Irish back too :D
    Got 74% so was chuffed to know was in the top 4 in the class abut still the marking again was so strict! Lost nearly 30 marks in essay for making 2 mistaked with fadas and small things :( God!!

Yeah the Irish for me was so hardly marked! I learnt off word for word 2 sample essays from the institute and luckily one on the enviroment came up, but apparently that sample essay is riddled with errors throughout it :confused: I got a C in the essay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Does anyone know what the Irish honours comprehensions on paper 1 are marked out of? Is it 40 or 50 marks? Trying to improve my grade up to an A2.

Lost 5 marks in all of paper 2 and then lost loads in paper 1 and I cant find where I went wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

All higher level

English 84% (rage over the 1 percent, would have been delighted with an A2)

Maths 62% (very happy, seeing as we have stats, probability and integration still to do!)

Irish 89% (very happy, but again that 1% is killing me!)

Biology 90% (ecstatic!)

Chemistry 87% (my favourite subject, delighted)

French 80% (so surprised, but so happy with it!)

Geography 76% (expected a bit higher, but doesnt matter)

540 in all. Thrilled! My number 1 course is 560 though, so need to bring up maths, and hopefully get those 1%s in irish and english!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭c28omzk7ihsxv0

Got 315, failed two tests.
    Got 58 in Bio - only person who passed :/
    Failed HL French and HL maths
    Think I might drop french..
    Distinction in LCVP :)
    Then the rest I can't actually remember, but just an assortment of low grades.

Aiming for at least 480 in the real thing....... I can definitely do it but will the internet let me....

Oh **** I have to be writing an English essay right now, I'm much like Hamlet.

Chavways wrote: »
    Does anyone know what the Irish honours comprehensions on paper 1 are marked out of? Is it 40 or 50 marks? Trying to improve my grade up to an A2.

Lost 5 marks in all of paper 2 and then lost loads in paper 1 and I cant find where I went wrong.

I think they are out of 50 each :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

David1994 wrote: »
    I think they are out of 50 each :P

Strange because when I counted up the marks there was only 40 there but she marked them out of 50.There must be something I'm missing. I'll ask my teacher tomorrow.

Yeah I will check in a minute :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

So I got a B2 in Irish. Meh, I'd be very happy with that in the real thing. So that's 570... no use to me, applying to ucas and I need 5 As, the offer scares me a little bit, I really want to go to Edinburgh but... 5 As? :( So much pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭rkeano5

Wow, I think I may have done too well in the mocks if that's possible. So Far I have:
    Biology a1 (96!!!)
    Maths a2 (115 ''points'' lol)
    History a1
    Irish b2
    German b3

And still waiting for English and Geog. (which are two of my best tbh)
    Jebus I'm looking at mid 500's.

finality wrote: »
    So I got a B2 in Irish. Meh, I'd be very happy with that in the real thing. So that's 570... no use to me, applying to ucas and I need 5 As, the offer scares me a little bit, I really want to go to Edinburgh but... 5 As? :( So much pressure.

570 is useless?:confused:
    Explain...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Reprazent

Got my final results back and got 320

Sickens my **** seeing how good everyone is after doing, I'm starting to worry more :L just got to keep on truckin on I guess!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

English - 60
    Irish - 58
    Maths - 54
    French - 43
    Geography - 47
    Construction - 52
    LCVP - 52

All higher except for irish & maths. Not including any orals, projects, fieldwork or practicals just the written papers themselves so it's kind of hard to figure it out points wise :rolleyes:
    Don't plan on using Irish or maths in june, hopefully will keep on higher physics & french also.
    Didn't get back physics yet, say i failed though:pac:. (load of stuff not covered)
    Got physics back today.. Higher.. 17 percent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Thanks! Yep I just need to keep going I suppose! My Geography Teacher has told me that my project is definitely 95%+ material and that with it I could get an A2, she offered to do this for me (as she did with every other member of the class) but I told her i'd rather get a B1 in the Mocks instead of an A2 to keep me motivated!

I got a B3 in Music without the practical which is my strong point. I hope to pull this up to an A2 with serious revision for the Listening and Composing papers. Slightly dubious about this one though.

Have you any advice in regard to achieving A1's?

Not really no... I got 2 A1s in English and Accounting and really there's not much I can say about them. I guess in English I'd just advise you know your texts, know a few quotes and generally know what their about, same with the poems. I strongly discourage you from learning essays off by heart for anything unless that is how you always operate. I just knew what was going on and was able to answer on the day. Maybe I got lucky, maybe I didn't... I've always been fairly confident of my English ability.

And accounting is just one of those subjects that if you're good at it, you'll get an A1. And I was good at it, it didn't require much work and we were finished the course at Christmas so we had loads of time to go back over it.

I was disappointed only to get B1s in Irish and French as they are subjects that it is possible to get an A in. The oral caught me for both of them, so I'd advise you to really work for your oral. The stuff that you learn for orals should be transferable to the written paper, it will improve your fluency no end. French really is a very easy paper if you look at it simply...if you're able to speak the language and understand it, you'll get an A. The thing is most people can't :( with Irish I did get a bit lucky that the poems and stories I focused on did come up and again, I'd just re-state what I said for English. Know what they're about and you should be able to pull off an answer on the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,240 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Reprazent wrote: »
    Got my final results back and got 320

Sickens my **** seeing how good everyone is after doing, I'm starting to worry more :L just got to keep on truckin on I guess!

That is an above average mark for the LC.
    Please don't let some of those posting here make you feel bad about yourself.
    As anywhere online, there are a lot of spoofers and there are a lot of sheltered souls who think everyone can afford to go for private grinds, to private schools, that everyone comes from a literate household etc..
    There is nothing wrong with 320 points.

I got 8 A1s in HL papers and did no study.*

*may not be entirely true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

525:cool:

So now I only need 25 more points assuming law and french stays at 550 (I can hope!) but in two of my subjects I was 1% off the grade above and I deserved an A2 not a B3 in my English, so I think I have a real shot at my first choice if I work really hard and get myself up to 560! And if not my second choice would be equally brilliant so I'm happy enough!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Irish B1
    English A1
    French B3
    History A2
    Business A2
    Physics C2
    Maths (O) B1
    Economics - not back yet!

So I'm thinking I got around 515-520 counting on a B3/B2 in Eco.

Delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

Chuchoter wrote: »

So now I only need 25 more points assuming law and french stays at 550 (I can hope!) but in two of my subjects I was 1% off the grade above and I deserved an A2 not a B3 in my English, so I think I have a real shot at my first choice if I work really hard and get myself up to 560! And if not my second choice would be equally brilliant so I'm happy enough!
    Well done! That's fantastic!

I was going for Law and Business in Trinity but really doubt i'll get the points (555 :/) so I put it down in NUIM instead! I got 510 in the Mocks. I'm hoping I can do a lot better seeing as I had to count LCVP instead of French as I did shít in French (C2). And I ended up getting a B3 in Music but my practical should bring me up to an A2/B1. Fingers crossed for 530 in June, beginning to get seriously worried though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Awful lot of smart kids here. Reading this thread makes me feel stupid. Le't hope at least a few people are lying otherwise the LC average will be 500 :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

Awful lot of smart kids here. Reading this thread makes me feel stupid. Le't hope at least a few people are lying otherwise the LC average will be 500 :o

I don't fit in at all here :rolleyes: I still have to get back business but I'm assuming my results will be around 320 overall.

I got 63% in English, my worst ever result in the subject. I almost cried when I saw it. English is my second best subject and I consistently get A2s/B1s. I suppose I didn't study for it, but still. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭Manic2

English - C3 - 55% - not too bad considering I did terrible in my comprehensions and never even attempted the comparative. Personally feel I should have gotten better marks in my poetry and Hamlet, but hey, what can ya do?

Irish (OL) - B3 - 74% - Really good considering I did nothing. Really happy with the 35/40% in my oral! :)

Maths (OL) - B3 - 72% - Not too bad I suppose, I can do better though, since it's one of my better subjects.

Geography - C2 - 61% - Not including the Field Study. Not too bad also, did no study at all, and didn't answer some questions at all.

Biology - C2 - 62% - Disappointing considering it would be my joined best subject.

Business - D3 - 42% - Really disappointing. By far my worst subject anyway. Just goes right over my head, it may be common sense, but it just doesn't click with me. Really don't expect to do well in June even though I have to. :/

Home Ec - D2 - 45% - Very disappointing considering it's my joint best subject. I never answered most of the questions, but funnily enough everything I did answer I got full marks in, I just ran out of time.

320 points in total. Really disappointed in myself since I need around 500 for my 1st choice which I really want. I honestly don't think I'm going to get it, and getting stressed out about it, but I just can't bring myself to study. :/

Eathrin wrote: »
    570 is useless?:confused:
    Explain...

I'm applying to the UK, and they go on individual grades as opposed to points. So I have an offer from the college I want to go to stating that I need 5 higher level As to actually get the course. :( Doesn't matter how many points I get if I don't get those grades.

finality wrote: »
    I'm applying to the UK, and they go on individual grades as opposed to points. So I have an offer from the college I want to go to stating that I need 5 higher level As to actually get the course. :( Doesn't matter how many points I get if I don't get those grades.

Surely you must have gotten at least 4A1s then,
    I don't think anybody can complain about those results considering you're likely to do even better next time around!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Chuchoter wrote: »

Same situation, except I got 520. Worrying about the points for Law and French is tearing me apart (Lisa), if it goes back up to the 570 range I can wave goodbye

Eathrin wrote: »
    Surely you must have gotten at least 4A1s then,
    I don't think anybody can complain about those results considering you're likely to do even better next time around!

Yeah 3 A1s and an A2 in maths, it's just that I have three subjects I'm fairly sure of an A in but all the others could really go either way on the day, I'm fine for points but As complicate things. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I'm trying not to think about it too much :S My hope is that just because a load of new people apply to law doesn't mean a whole new rake of people is going to get 550. The same percentages get the same points every year. As well as that, as far as I can see from this list, only a few extra people applied to law overall? What will be will be I suppose. I highly doubt any of them will go up more than 10, tops 15 points. *optimism!*
    http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/pdf/AppStats01Feb2012.pdf

Advertisement