Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, how did we all do in the Mocks??

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Did points for Law not go down slightly last year? (Or at least stay the same?) I'd say it's more likely that points for it will drop or stay the same than it is that they'll increase. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

They've gone down every year for the past 5 years, so its really confusing that this year they've magically gone up? Its all so frustrating, I wish we had set points that didn't move.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

The points for law will not go up. And that's it. No questions asked.

Wesc. wrote: »

Well if you've decided I guess those points better know whats best for them!

But seriously I hope the points don't go up. I really don't want to have to go to UCD. Its such a trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

How is everyone getting on in the Physics Pre? I got 54%.Highest in my class was 61 and everyone thought it was very hard.Our teacher is convinced it was simple and that we aren't doing any study

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I'm trying not to think about it too much :S My hope is that just because a load of new people apply to law doesn't mean a whole new rake of people is going to get 550. The same percentages get the same points every year. As well as that, as far as I can see from this list, only a few extra people applied to law overall? What will be will be I suppose. I highly doubt any of them will go up more than 10, tops 15 points. *optimism!*
    http://www2.cao.ie/dir_report/pdf/AppStats01Feb2012.pdf

I'm in the same boat. It's hard to tell how much bonus maths will make a difference. I'm thinking if you do honours maths and get 560 you should be safe, so I need to improve by 40 points from the mocks if I'm going to get in!

I doubt bonus points will affect the non science based courses. Very small percentage of people bother with hl maths and they'll be off in science and business land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I'm going for Law too, the only one in my School apparently. By the looks of those statistics the points will not increase, there's no way they will. 53 extra applicants won't make any difference overall! I'm fairly safe for my first choice (BBL Civil Law, Business and Economics) in NUIM but I really need the scholarship for NUIM. I got 510 in the Mocks and they offer a scholarship for anyone over 500 so here's hoping i'll go up! Even if I stay the same from my Mock results I don't really mind, I just really need that Scholarship!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 surfaholic

Anyone else getting impatient for their mocks? It's been over three weeks now and I've only gotten Maths P1 (86% HL), French (75% HL), English P1 (64% HL....pretty awful :/ ) and Irish (76% OL)

I'm not expecting the rest to go well, though! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Chavways wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on in the Physics Pre? I got 54%.Highest in my class was 61 and everyone thought it was very hard.Our teacher is convinced it was simple and that we aren't doing any study

I got 71% and I think that was the best in my class. Pretty sure everyone found it really hard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Well I didn't do any study and got 65%, serves me right.
    That wasn't near the highest in my class, that said I don't think we got the supposed "difficult" physics paper which you probably did.

finality wrote: »
    I got 71% and I think that was the best in my class. Pretty sure everyone found it really hard.

The experiments were simple but then the other 5 questions were very difficult I thought. I hope to god the real exam isn't that hard.Im banking on getting a B1 or A2 in Physics

Physics is a bit like english in that it can very easily swing one way or the other. I can see some unusual, real life based questions like last year happening again.

Eathrin wrote: »

Well I didn't do any study and got 65%, serves me right.
    That wasn't near the highest in my class, that said I don't think we got the supposed "difficult" physics paper which you probably did.
    Which one was meant to be the hard one? I got 81% which I was pretty happy with , hopefully I'll get it up to an A in the real thing!

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Which one was meant to be the hard one? I got 81% which I was pretty happy with , hopefully I'll get it up to an A in the real thing!

I had the one with
    question 1 as the simple pendulum question and question 2 as the latent heat of fusion. I think question 4 was Joules law.

These were pretty easy but the rest of the paper was tough.

_Bella_ wrote: »

I had the one with
    question 1 as the simple pendulum question and question 2 as the latent heat of fusion. I think question 4 was Joules law.

These were pretty easy but the rest of the paper was tough.
    That's the one I had too.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Overall am pretty happy with my results seeing as most of them were achieved from night before cramming sessions!

English HL- 78% (Highest in the year! The corrector was shockingly strict.. ripped marks off me left, right and center for mechanics and coherence of delivery but my teacher said I should have got much more! Hoping for an A1 in the real thing so still a bit of work to do)

History HL-60% (One of my best subjects alongside English and Irish. Was fairly disappointed with the result. Looking for B1/A2 so A LOT of work to do!)

Irish HL-77% (Pretty happy seeing as I didn't study An Triail, Hurlamaboc or the Sraithpictúirí at all :p looking for an A2)

French HL-60% (Very disappointed. Looking for B1 in the LC. Teacher said well achievable.)

Engineering HL-69% (Delighted as I didn't open a book for it :p)

Physics HL-44% (Got this back today, fairly shocked tbh. I was one of two people who passed in the class. We still have a few chapters left to cover so we had no choice on the paper and we were also down a question. The teacher said a mid to high B should be achievable in June :rolleyes:)

Still waiting on Maths HL, hoping for a D2 or D3! Struggling with Maths but am getting grinds.. The extra points are definetly a great incentive!
    All in all, 405 but with the pass in Maths hopefully it'll be 430 which is enough to get my course.. Pushing for the scholarship in Maynooth for 500 points, so just have to keep the head down from here on in :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

My results so far and what I want in June are:

HL English: Mock - C2, want a B1/B2

HL French: Mock - B1, want an A1

HL Irish: Mock - D1, want a C2

HL Biology: Mock - D2, want a C1

HL Chemistry: Mock - F, want a D2

OL Maths: Mock - D2, want a C3+, don't really care about Maths

Still waiting on Business, expecting a D1 or D2, want a B3 in June.

I crammed the night before Irish and Biology, didn't study for the rest.

Do you think the results I want are achievable if I start now? :(

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I love you

• Advertisement

I love you

Haha! It's definitely achievable though. English and Biology seem to be the ones you need the biggest improvement so obviously they'll need a bit more work, but I don't see why you won't get those grades if you work from now on. I improved my English result by 31% between my mock and the real thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Raeone

My results so far and what I want in June are:

HL English: Mock - C2, want a B1/B2

HL French: Mock - B1, want an A1

HL Irish: Mock - D1, want a C2

HL Biology: Mock - D2, want a C1

HL Chemistry: Mock - F, want a D2

OL Maths: Mock - D2, want a C3+, don't really care about Maths

Still waiting on Business, expecting a D1 or D2, want a B3 in June.

I crammed the night before Irish and Biology, didn't study for the rest.

Do you think the results I want are achievable if I start now? :(

That depends on how much work you have put in since 5th year and how much study you did before the mocks.

Also depends on if you took a peak or two in the hints thread for the mocks ;)

It is achievable though, if you want to do it and put your mind to it, you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭ruadhan

I should probably note to everyone reading this thread.. Don't be put off by all the people saying they got this that and the other. Boards seems to attract mainly really smart/bull****ter people so it makes some people who still do really good, feel bad! Which is silly. It's just annoying when people brag.......... saying that, I got 580 in my mocks last year and mainly just got abuse cos people just get annoyed about you doing so well.

Just remember its not the real thing and you can still go up craploads (and down loads too if you get complacent..)

PS. i got A1's with no study*

*well i studied a little

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Flabangav

I got....
    English B1
    Maths B1
    Biology B1
    Chemistry B3
    Spanish B3
    Music B3

Irish B2

All honours except for Irish. Straight B's :pac: I like the symmetry!
    So altogether I got 505 :D I'm so pleased!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 ash2012

ruadhan wrote: »
    I should probably note to everyone reading this thread.. Don't be put off by all the people saying they got this that and the other. Boards seems to attract mainly really smart/bull****ter people so it makes some people who still do really good, feel bad! Which is silly. It's just annoying when people brag.......... saying that, I got 580 in my mocks last year and mainly just got abuse cos people just get annoyed about you doing so well.

Just remember its not the real thing and you can still go up craploads (and down loads too if you get complacent..)

PS. i got A1's with no study*

*well i studied a little
    atleast you are honest. and well done on your results !!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,891 ✭✭✭iamanengine

I got:

English - B2
    Biology - A2
    History - B2
    French - D2
    Maths - B3 (OL)
    Geography - Not back yet but hoping for an A1 or at least an A2.

Aiming for 450 in the LC and with geography will have gotten about 435/425.
    Hopefully i can push it up for the actually LC :)

Bit disappointed with them mainly french and biology but ah well.
    Civil Law NUIG for next year hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

A1 - Geography
    B1 - Irish
    B2 - Music
    B2 - English
    C2 - Biology
    C3 - French
    D2 - Maths

Which amounts to 485 points including 25 for maths. Happy with the majority, maybe not so much Biology but sure what can you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

I got 90% with no study :P ... Must have got the "easy" one so.. :L Saying that a chinease fella in my class pulled off 99%. Yes, he's a repeat but god that was some feat :eek: Maybe next time he'll remember the unit for length :P

Saying that a chinease fella in my class pulled off 99%.

Ability level-Asian

That is unbelievable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

Ah jaysus. So far I have 85 points. I've only got maths and business to get back which might bring me up to 200. Then I'll need 250 more points!!! F*ck.

Failed english, physics, applied maths, and french. This is not good.

Advertisement