Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Well, how did we all do in the Mocks??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Maths 57 % C3 - Not too bad considering we have'nt done P2 since last year. Everyone in class (8) got C3 :L
    English 74% B3 - Not happy, teacher said material was A1 but went down a lot for Poetry, Hamlet and GV &V
    Irish 70% (OL) B3 - Teacher useless, sexy as, spends classes over in woodwork flirting with teacher with 6 pack. All higher (9 failed) and only 4 passed OL.
    French 64 % (OL) C2 - Only picked up in September to get into college, not too bad.
    Physics/Chemistry 67% C1 - Not marked to scheme, deserved B1
    Business 82 % B1 - Teacher says i only deserved C1 at best, does it every year, marks you down so you'll work harder, one last year got 100% and got marked down to 70%
    History B3 70% - Pretty good considering timing was off, only 2 pages for final essay

425 if not mistaken. Happy considering to quote a lot of students here and at school, "i didnt study at all". Mind you on here people get 600 points and people at school fail, one student failed all his mocks, and got 4 Ng's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

not great, got below 200 points - failed OL maths and HL Biology, only just! But didn't really study for the mocks much as they're fairly pointless and don't count towards anything. But those results gave me a bit of a kick up the arse and so I'm already trying to study up to 2 and a half hours a night if not more,:D Seriously can't wait for it all to be done!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Wesc. wrote: »
    Just wondering what are your study methods? More specifically for french and applied maths? Congrats by the way brilliant results!!

I would also like to know :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

spurious wrote: »
    Fantastic results, well done!
    As a matter of interest, what did you drop 3% in Maths for? You are obviously good at Maths, was it a silly error, a part left out?

Wrote down that 3.5 metres = 3500cm, write an equation in terms of t, wrote t = _____ etc.

Just silly stuff, hopefully will cut those out.
    Wesc. wrote: »
    Just wondering what are your study methods? More specifically for french and applied maths? Congrats by the way brilliant results!!

French - I've been going to a place in Dublin called 'L'Alliance Francaise' since 3rd year or so (not in 4th year), which is taught by a french person, so you really get a french accent and correct pronouciation drilled into you. I try to read french things. Started off with Tintin but now attempting to drive through Harry Potter Le chambre des secrets.

Literally, french is more about the constant use of it. Chat with friends, chat with people, go on exchanges (but do NOT hang around with Irish people, i went to Paris for a week during midterm, was on my own, but the amount of french I picked up because I spoke with the family i was staying with, and read the signs and etc).

Applied Maths - It's just the maths side of me taking over. Never actually had to study applied maths, if I see how a question is done, then do a few examples myself, the logic behind the procedure makes me remember it. Just work, do examples, UNDERSTAND why you're doing these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 BubblegumBitch

English (HL) - 65% - Very frustrated with this! I'm always stuck in the High C catagory for English and no matter what I do, I can never go up! It's a decent result, but I would love better as I have a strong interest in it. My comparative question let me down most, 29/70. Hmm...

Irish (OL) - 77% - Quite pleased with this! The oral being worth 40% really helped, I love the oral part of it! Hope to bring this up by 10% for the real thing, as I need to count Irish (I do two Ordinary subjects and Irish is my stronger)

Maths (OL) - 54% - Yep, decent result! Just gonna keep plodding along to keep this up.

French (HL) - 23% - So... French is not a strong subject for me... It's just so difficult and I don't like it! My teacher told me to stick with higher level - Apparently I'm really good at oral stuff, so he told me just to work harder in order to pass it.

Geography (HL) - 66% - Decent enough considering I didn't study much! Hoping for a B2 at least in the real thing.

Biology (HL) - 63% - Not so impressed! My teacher told me I should be aiming for an A1 in the real thing, said it wasn't an accurate reflection on my usual work. I was a little disappointed too, but like all other subjects I did little revision before hand.

Ag. Science (HL) - 77% - Pretty happy with this!! Ag isn't one of my absolute favourite subjects, so was pleased to score this high in it! Something similar in the LC would be awesome.

So, 350 points in total I believe. Not so bad! Realistically, my goal is 380+ for Arts in Maynooth. Hope I can get it! Just gonna up my studying from now on in and hopefully it'll all pay off :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Maths 57 % C3 - Not too bad considering we have'nt done P2 since last year. Everyone in class (8) got C3 :L
    English 74% B3 - Not happy, teacher said material was A1 but went down a lot for Poetry, Hamlet and GV &V
    Irish 70% (OL) B3 - Teacher useless, sexy as, spends classes over in woodwork flirting with teacher with 6 pack. All higher (9 failed) and only 4 passed OL.
    French 64 % (OL) C2 - Only picked up in September to get into college, not too bad.
    Physics/Chemistry 67% C1 - Not marked to scheme, deserved B1
    Business 82 % B1 - Teacher says i only deserved C1 at best, does it every year, marks you down so you'll work harder, one last year got 100% and got marked down to 70%
    History B3 70% - Pretty good considering timing was off, only 2 pages for final essay

425 if not mistaken. Happy considering to quote a lot of students here and at school, "i didnt study at all". Mind you on here people get 600 points and people at school fail, one student failed all his mocks, and got 4 Ng's.
    you wouldnt happen to have any pictures of this so called teacher ? :P :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

English - B2
    Irish(OL)-B1
    French-B2
    Biology-A1
    Geography-B1
    Maths-B2
    Chemistry-B2

So 530 in all, much better than I expected! Now just to bring that up by 50 or 60..............

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭_pure_mule_

Any HL Irish results back ? Interested to see how the new course results will be . How did anyone find the paper ?

Got 81 in HL. was fairly dissapointed to be honest because its my best subject and I was hoping for an A1 but I suppose June is the one that counts ehh?:) Not to make excuses or anything but I felt the poetry and pro's were marked ridiculously hard as someone above also stated. I got 88/100 in the essay and we hadn't got that covered in class so I was delighted with that part. The paper was pretty nice though aparts from one or to parts of the poetry question, other than that it was fairly straight forward. I have a feeling June will be fairly straight forward aswell with the new course and all! hopefully anyways:)

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Killian In The Name Of

Haven't gotten them all back yet, but 45% in HL French and 62% in OL Irish (teacher re-corrected them after because she disagree with our results, and turned out being 57%) and I failed HL Biology. I'm really disappointed because when you know you've put in effort and see results like those it's very disheartening. *sigh* :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ClaireBearBoat

Pretty happy with mine :)

English A1 (delighted, especially with my extremely cheesy short story :pac: )
    Irish B1 (Got 62/100 in my essay. Any advice on how to improve? :) )
    Maths B3 (74, aiming for a B in Maths so I'm happy :D )
    French A2 (My oral brought me up from a B, I got 97/100 in it! My written pieces aren't very good.. )
    History B3
    Physics B1 84
    Biology A1 94

Not sure what it adds up to..
    I still have absolutely no idea what I want to do after school. I'm thinking of taking a year out? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭earwax_man

I'm so scared with all the results I see here; I got only 480 :( I made some utterly retarded errors, with only studying the night before it went well enough, mostly B grades. I know I can rise a lot more. I've started studying already for the LC :)

The only one I was happy with was German, I got 98% in the written paper and 100% in the oral. :)
    Irish was corrected terribly, I'm getting another teacher to correct it properly; I got 66% [the highest in my class; everyone else failed], and I speak Irish as well as I can speak English.
    Maths P. 2 went very well, P. 1 simply went to hell. I must stop making such silly mistakes, the exact same thing happened with physics and chemistry! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Pretty happy with mine :)

English A1 (delighted, especially with my extremely cheesy short story :pac: )
    Irish B1 (Got 62/100 in my essay. Any advice on how to improve? :) )
    Maths B3 (74, aiming for a B in Maths so I'm happy :D )
    French A2 (My oral brought me up from a B, I got 97/100 in it! My written pieces aren't very good.. )
    History B3
    Physics B1 84
    Biology A1 94

I still have absolutely no idea what I want to do after school. I'm thinking of taking a year out? :confused:

You got 535 points! Grr....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

David1994 wrote: »
    You got 535 points! Grr....

Is it not 560? Maybe I added it up wrong.

Togepi wrote: »
    Is it not 560? Maybe I added it up wrong.

You are correct my good sir,silly me forgetting the extra points for honours maths :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭Luno

earwax_man wrote: »
    I'm so scared with all the results I see here; I got only 480 :( I made some utterly retarded errors, with only studying the night before it went well enough, mostly B grades. I know I can rise a lot more. I've started studying already for the LC :)

Seeing as the country's average is only in the mid/low 300's I wouldn't be saying that! Also it completely depends what you need. No one is going to care what you got in your leaving cert next year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

You are correct my good sir,silly me forgetting the extra points for honours maths :)

Ah, I should've realised that the difference was 25 points. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭haro124

545 ! :D and my parents still brought up repeating !

• Registered Users Posts: 43 cillian95

Congrats on the results! Yeah I'm actually taking a year out next year.. I'm young (not 17 til June), really want to travel and see the world and I'm not one hundred per cent sold on my course yet... D: I'm spending next year (full twelve months) abroad volunteering in South America, Guyana, with a charity called Project Trust.

I'm not ready to go straight to college either and thought this would be the best way to spend a year out instead of sitting on the couch playing skyrim and picking my bum. Plus it's done wonders to motivate me because I literally can't repeat!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 ClaireBearBoat

cillian95 wrote: »
    Congrats on the results! Yeah I'm actually taking a year out next year.. I'm young (not 17 til June), really want to travel and see the world and I'm not one hundred per cent sold on my course yet... D: I'm spending next year (full twelve months) abroad volunteering in South America, Guyana, with a charity called Project Trust.

I'm not ready to go straight to college either and thought this would be the best way to spend a year out instead of sitting on the couch playing skyrim and picking my bum. Plus it's done wonders to motivate me because I literally can't repeat!

Fair play :) That's probably the best way to spend a year out, it looks really rewarding.
    I haven't really decided on what I'd do during the year out yet :p I'm just so confused at the moment with different courses that I think it would be the best option. I'm going to start researching projects/ charities soon though :D

(Sorry for going a bit off-topic in the mocks thread btw :p )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I know I'm going to get a load of hate for this, but the amount of people saying 'they didn't study until the night before' and got 500+ points in their mocks... I find that a wee bit hard to believe :rolleyes: maybe boards is just full of certified geniuses but I doubt it. Anyways, /jealousrant

B2 Biology 76%
    I'm pretty happy with this, if I can get it up by a grade or two for the actual exam I'll be flying. :)
    B2 History 76%
    So so so surprised at this, left out my whole documents question lol! Luckily the bonus for irish pulled me up and my essays were good. What with the research topic and the document I'll (fingers crossed) have learnt by the LC, I'll hopefully be looking at a B1-A2!
    B3 Irish 72%
    Didn't get my oral results back yet. Not too unhappy with it, again if I can come up by like a grade I'll be happy with that!
    C1 Physics 66%
    Top of the class! (doesn't say much about my class, does it?) Definitely need to improve in this though, I can do better. Aiming for a B1 in the actual exam.
    B1 English 82%
    I think I could've done better, I lost about 10% because I left out Hamlet though... time management again just like History. Not too unhappy with it though, again it's a pretty solid mark (imo) for the mocks.
    French - still waiting for results from my dosser of a teacher!

so far I have 390, and I'm waiting for French, which is one of my favourite subjects. Hopefully I'll get a B1 or something like that in it, so I'm looking at 450 (if I get a C3 in French...), and if I can improve my marks for the LC proper, then hopefully I'll hit 500ish. Pretty happy with my results seeing as my course (undenominated science @ galway) was only 370 points last year :)

• Advertisement

cillian95 wrote: »

That Project Trust thing looks great! I'm going to be quite young going to college too (17 in April, you have me beat :P) so I was considering taking a year out... how do ya get on one of those volunteering trips? How much do they cost all in? thx :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I know I'm going to get a load of hate for this, but the amount of people saying 'they didn't study until the night before' and got 500+ points in their mocks... I find that a wee bit hard to believe :rolleyes: maybe boards is just full of certified geniuses but I doubt it. Anyways, /jealousrant

Certified genius reporting in. :pac: In fairness, I got a B3 in physics and a C2 in chemistry with my strategy, so I can't get away with studying the night before in every subject. I'd be extremely happy with my other pre results but I think there was quite a lot of luck involved too. I think to get 570 again in June I'll need to put a hell of a lot of work in between now and then.

Congrats on your results. :)

finality wrote: »
    Certified genius reporting in. :pac: In fairness, I got a B3 in physics and a C2 in chemistry with my strategy, so I can't get away with studying the night before in every subject. I'd be extremely happy with my other pre results but I think there was quite a lot of luck involved too. I think to get 570 again in June I'll need to put a hell of a lot of work in between now and then.

Congrats on your results. :)

Thanks man! Whoever gets their good results deserves them. It does annoy me a bit though when I've been studying since september and I get 100 points less than people who 'didn't study 'til the night before'... regardless of whether they're lying or not, it's still annoying, and it's the thought that a lot of the people who are saying they're getting high points like yourself could be studying their arses off but, a lot of them will say 'I didn't study 'til the night before' anyway :rolleyes: Whatever though :P I'm looking set to get my course and that's what matters I suppose! Hope ya get your points again in June! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

Got my oral result for Spanish which moved me up a grade so I got 540. I'm really happy though I need to go up 45 points to be sure of my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Thanks man! Whoever gets their good results deserves them. It does annoy me a bit though when I've been studying since september and I get 100 points less than people who 'didn't study 'til the night before'... regardless of whether they're lying or not, it's still annoying, and it's the thought that a lot of the people who are saying they're getting high points like yourself could be studying their arses off but, a lot of them will say 'I didn't study 'til the night before' anyway :rolleyes: Whatever though :P I'm looking set to get my course and that's what matters I suppose! Hope ya get your points again in June! :)

Honestly it bugs me too when people lie about that kind of thing, putting the work in is admirable and it's not 'cool' or whatever to leave it until last minute. It annoys me that I can't seem to motivate myself to study.
    Actually what annoys me more is when people say "oh god I did so badly on that test, I'm dreading my result," and then get an A1 in it. If you know you did well just say so.

I guess the leaving cert just comes easily to some people. There are also other factors like, for example, I never study for German but I always put a lot of effort into the homework and I've done two 3-week summer courses in it which hugely improved my standard of the language - so it's not a case of putting no work at all in. I think that's the way it is for a lot of people who don't really study much.

Thanks, good luck with the course, you definitely deserve it. :P

_Bella_ wrote: »
    Got my oral result for Spanish which moved me up a grade so I got 540. I'm really happy though I need to go up 45 points to be sure of my course.

How is the oral?Was it hard??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭_Bella_

How is the oral?Was it hard??

No it was the usual questions about hobbies, your area, your family etc.. The only tricky one was to describe the plot of the film you last saw.

_Bella_ wrote: »
    No it was the usual questions about hobbies, your area, your family etc.. The only tricky one was to describe the plot of the film you last saw.

Ok thanks its just we havent done one but Im guessing it is like the Irish oral..??? What mark you get out of curiosity?? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭SlyBacon93

English = C1 ( happy enough with it hoping for a grade higher in June)
    History = A1 ( no complains but hopefully I'll maintain the result come june)
    Classics = A2 (fairly suprised tbh)
    Economics = C1 (bit dissapointed,seriously need to hit the books,it was quiet a strange paper though)
    Geography = C2 (really disappointed with geography, screwed up my timing and couldnt even start the geoecology)
    Biology = B1 (happy enough I suppose, our teacher gave us a few hints so it doesn't really reflect on my ability)

480 overall I'm hoping for law and economics in ucd so a good 60 point increase is needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭13spanner

My course last year was 390, so I want 420+ to be safe. Got bang on 390 in the mocks so a bit more work and I should be alrite :D the history teacher sent the papers back to DEB for re-correction so I might come up a grade or 2 to 400 points :) overall, happy enough.

Advertisement