Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does GRS mean in a bank statement?

• 25-02-2012 6:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭

I'm exempt from DIRT. The paperwork for that was done last year, later than the birthday when I became exempt. I got a refund from the Revenue for the DIRT I'd paid since the birthday. I'm trying to double-check that no DIRT's been deducted recently.
    In my savings account statement, interest figures in the first part of the year have NET next to them. I think that period corresponds with the refunded DIRT; does that sound right?

In the remainder of the year, the interest figures have GRS next to them. Does that simply mean 'gross', as in interest paid without deducting DIRT?

It's an online account; the branch staff don't have access to it, so can't answer any questions about it. I can't find a way of printing out the statement from the website, to show them; I also tried the Windows Snipping Tool, but opening it made the web page disappear (for security I presume).
    I once managed to find a DIRT statement there and print it out, but I can't remember how, and can't find the page anywhere ( I guess they just don't do them if there's an exemption?)

The search box on the website can't find GRS, and 'Ask us a question' just brings up a few irrrelevant FAQs, from their very limited collection. I can't find it on the general web either (too many other things called GRS); tried 2 banking glossaries without success.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Fogmatic wrote: »
    I'm exempt from DIRT. The paperwork for that was done last year, later than the birthday when I became exempt. I got a refund from the Revenue for the DIRT I'd paid since the birthday. I'm trying to double-check that no DIRT's been deducted recently.
    In my savings account statement, interest figures in the first part of the year have NET next to them. I think that period corresponds with the refunded DIRT; does that sound right?

In the remainder of the year, the interest figures have GRS next to them. Does that simply mean 'gross', as in interest paid without deducting DIRT?

It's an online account; the branch staff don't have access to it, so can't answer any questions about it. I can't find a way of printing out the statement from the website, to show them; I also tried the Windows Snipping Tool, but opening it made the web page disappear (for security I presume).
    I once managed to find a DIRT statement there and print it out, but I can't remember how, and can't find the page anywhere ( I guess they just don't do them if there's an exemption?)

The search box on the website can't find GRS, and 'Ask us a question' just brings up a few irrrelevant FAQs, from their very limited collection. I can't find it on the general web either (too many other things called GRS); tried 2 banking glossaries without success.

I would imagine it does mean gross considering the bank have put 'net' beside the interest figures previously. You should be able to work out if the interest figure is actually a gross figure by multiplying the account balance by the gross interest rate and divide by 12 ( if the interest is credited monthly). If the figures agree then you can take it that you are not being charged DIRT and the abbreviation does stand for gross.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Fogmatic

Thanks killers 1.
    Sorry, I've only just seen your reply (I must have forgotten to enable notification).
    Meanwhile, I realised it must mean gross, because of the figures.
    Thanks for reminding me of the formula, anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭killers1

Fogmatic wrote: »
    Thanks killers 1.
    Sorry, I've only just seen your reply (I must have forgotten to enable notification).
    Meanwhile, I realised it must mean gross, because of the figures.
    Thanks for reminding me of the formula, anyway!

No problem, glad the figures worked out!

Advertisement