Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Radio Streaming - iPhone 4S

• 25-02-2012 7:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm thinking of getting an iphone 4S, that will primarily be used for streaming radio (2FM, Today FM) for around 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.

How much data would I use in a month? The plans have different usage allowances so would like a rough idea.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

You'd be looking at about 10GB a month to be safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

Thanks Kensington.

I'd be looking at an expensive package then, so not sure now tbh..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Aye, do you have a WiFi connection you could use? Streaming can be incredibly bandwidth heavy.

I have wifi in the house, but need the radio/iphone for work. I work outdoors and work in different areas (counties) every day. I'm currently using an ordinary radio from my nokia phone but the reception is useless most of the time. I think streaming should be good in most areas, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it either...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

<Ollie> wrote: »
    I have wifi in the house, but need the radio/iphone for work. I work outdoors and work in different areas (counties) every day. I'm currently using an ordinary radio from my nokia phone but the reception is useless most of the time. I think streaming should be good in most areas, but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for it either...

Get an unlimited data plan so and you won't be hit with a big bill for data, but read the small print some networks do charge for excessive data usage now I don't know if 10 gig per month will be deemed as that just keep that in mind

• Advertisement

Cheers fox. Seems like the only option really, must see what the price is for unlimited usage and if I'm willing to pay it. Will read the small print too and find out exactly what fair usage policy means. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,065 ✭✭✭crazygeryy

why not get a samsung galaxy 2?it has a radio on it and the reception on it is fantastic its cheaper to buy outright and it does everything the iphone does.

maybe you have your heart set on an iphone but anyway its a suggestion.

crazygeryy wrote: »
    why not get a samsung galaxy 2?it has a radio on it and the reception on it is fantastic its cheaper to buy outright and it does everything the iphone does.

maybe you have your heart set on an iphone but anyway its a suggestion.

No I much prefer the samsung, my brother has one and it's gorgeous.

The problem is I have an account with www.Tddirectinvesting.ie but their apps don't work with android, only apple. This service would be very handy for me also, even though I's only use it a couples of minutes a day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

From experience streaming rip's through the battery, you're gonna need a portable charger of some kind.

Gillo wrote: »
    From experience streaming rip's through the battery, you're gonna need a portable charger of some kind.

Haven't really thought about that. Would the iPhone 4S be capable of streaming radio for 8 hours?

• Advertisement

Haven't really thought about that. Would the iPhone 4S be capable of streaming radio for 8 hours?
    Honestly I doubt it, I use a 4 and would notice a big drop in the battery after using it for a hour on the bus. I've never checked how power it actually used as it wasn't an issue for me but I'd be pleasantly surprised if you get eight hours.

I use a thing called a Power Monkey, it's basically a spare battery and I find it works great, however it'll add bulk, a neater option would be a case with integrated battery.

wow i doubt it very much.i clocked my own galaxy over 2 hours of streaming normal radio.it works out at 80mb an hour and for 2hrs about 40% battery.if thats any good to you.(iphone could be different)

how about you get one of these :D and strap it to your back.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkRxs7cTwIfNH8FJ6y_f8ClQSn3FeMHvoR9ztCKGBtuAsfxxVfuA

just joking :)

wow i doubt it very much.i clocked my own galaxy over 2 hours of streaming normal radio.it works out at 80mb an hour and for 2hrs about 40% battery.if thats any good to you.(iphone could be different)

Not looking great so. 8 hours is asking a lot. My nokia can go two days with radio of 16hrs. But that isn't steaming..
    how about you get one of these :D and strap it to your back.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRkRxs7cTwIfNH8FJ6y_f8ClQSn3FeMHvoR9ztCKGBtuAsfxxVfuA

just joking :)

LOL. Might be the only option left. ha

Gillo wrote: »
    Honestly I doubt it, I use a 4 and would notice a big drop in the battery after using it for a hour on the bus. I've never checked how power it actually used as it wasn't an issue for me but I'd be pleasantly surprised if you get eight hours.

I use a thing called a Power Monkey, it's basically a spare battery and I find it works great, however it'll add bulk, a neater option would be a case with integrated battery.

Thanks, will have a look at these options.

A seperate pocket radio looks like your best bet, they use way less power. They are also pretty small these days.

Advertisement