Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

worried about newborn calf

• 25-02-2012 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

hey
    a heifer calved thursday night and calf was suckling nicely in first few hours but hasnt sucked since after lunch fri and now saturday night.
    there are 8 incalf heifers in a dry field and the calf is lying down by the ditch all today with the heifers staying close but the mother isnt really showing interest.
    the calf seems happy out and looks very healthy but im concerned cos lack of interest from the mother and calf hasnt drank since yesterday..my uncle reckons its grand saying if he suckled already he'll do it again and that the newborns lie down a lot in first few days...he has 50 sucklers himself but im still concerned
    ive zero experience in this so some advice would be greatly apprecieted

also should i start giving mother some minerals or nuts

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

hey
    a heifer calved thursday night and calf was suckling nicely in first few hours but hasnt sucked since after lunch fri and now saturday night.
    there are 8 incalf heifers in a dry field and the calf is lying down by the ditch all today with the heifers staying close but the mother isnt really showing interest.
    the calf seems happy out and looks very healthy but im concerned cos lack of interest from the mother and calf hasnt drank since yesterday..my uncle reckons its grand saying if he suckled already he'll do it again and that the newborns lie down a lot in first few days...he has 50 sucklers himself but im still concerned
    ive zero experience in this so some advice would be greatly apprecieted

also should i start giving mother some minerals or nuts

thanks
    are you 100% sure the calf has not sucked. young calves tend to sleep when they have enough sucked. you will know by looking at heifer if she has been suckled recently. if you know for sure he has not sucked, its time to be getting him in and checked out

• Registered Users Posts: 48 danpaddyandy

no im not not 100% but i checked him a lot today and saw no sign but jus checked him there now and he s with mother but again didnt suck when i was with them for maybe 10 mins

he could have sucked her when i wasnt there tho

how woiuld i know by the heifer if she wasnt suckled recently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

no im not not 100% but i checked him a lot today and saw no sign but jus checked him there now and he s with mother but again didnt suck when i was with them for maybe 10 mins

he could have sucked her when i wasnt there tho

how woiuld i know by the heifer if she wasnt suckled recently

It's likely the calf is sucking away at his leisure. He should be in good form, bright, stretch himself when he gets up and look full in the stomach, not hollow.
    You might also be able to tell by the heifers elder if it's being sucked but sometimes it's hard to know.
    I would be inclined to get in the heifer and strig each quarter to ensure all is as it should be ie. seal broken, milk in each spin etc.

Even though it's likely the calf is sucking, you still have to be sure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

You're Uncle is right, nothing to worry about. Once they have the first feed by themselves, there's nothing to worry about. It's just nature's way, the calf lies down away from the herd and the mother grazes away on her own. Stand the calf up. If it stretches itself, that's a sure sign that all is ok. No harm keep a close eye all the same, for your own peace of mind.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i really hate sucklers, my dad has 20 of them, more hassle than 150 milking cows.. was saying today how come the ones that calve outside all get up and drink the cow and the winter ones are all hardship, hormonal mothers and stupid calves:rolleyes: lucky enough in that he can use biestings from my milkers to stomach tube the calves but i dont begrudge anyone who is a suckler farmer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PANADOL

Bizzum wrote: »
    It's likely the calf is sucking away at his leisure. He should be in good form, bright, stretch himself when he gets up and look full in the stomach, not hollow.
    You might also be able to tell by the heifers elder if it's being sucked but sometimes it's hard to know.
    I would be inclined to get in the heifer and strig each quarter to ensure all is as it should be ie. seal broken, milk in each spin etc.

Even though it's likely the calf is sucking, you still have to be sure!
    how long will the calf live for if he does not suck is it a matter of days or hours i have heard different stories about this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

A freshly calved calf will need to suck regular or will go down hill very quickly. Over the day and a half you describe he wouldn't be able to stand if still alive at all.
    Remember they don't suck much volume when they are on the cow as they can go back regularly, a few minutes when your not looking will do just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

calf is 100% leave alone, leave the heifer alone too don't go bringing her in no need. if you can get near calf touch his nose, if it's reasonably warm or not very cold, calf should be fine. there is probbly no need from what you describe tho calf is perfect and i appreciate your concern which is good, i was the same when i started out.

Advertisement