Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Essnetial Driver Training Legislation

• 25-02-2012 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

there has been a lot of confusion in relation to the new course of EDT, and mainly it comes down to not being worded or the right information being conveyed. the SI 173 of 2011 made clarification on the EDT. for the information of the Instructors that SI has been amended from the 13th of Jan this year. the new info is on this link http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/2012/en/si/0004.html

don't know if this is a help or a hinderence just feel that instructors deserve to know.

also can some clarify this for me: SI 172 of 2011 Section 3 (2) sates this:
    (2) A driving instructor shall not provide a course of instruction in a vehicle
    unless a vehicle insurer has issued a certificate of insurance in respect of the
    vehicle for the purposes of carrying out courses of instruction

does this mean that EDT Cannot be carried out in a students own car unless they have Special insurance. i have contacted RSA but have heard nothing back.

thanks for your help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

In relation to the 2nd part of your post I'd imagine it simply means that the pupil must be insured on the car they are taking their lessons in (in the event of them using a sponsor's car).

Clarify it with your own insurer I'd say

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Well spotted. Good to know.

I found that the origional text was more clearcut. 'Do not do the next lesson until the skills of the first have been attained.' Now we have a case where we can fall back on the guidelines from the RSA. Which would have suggested the same idea. This increases the vagueness of the whole program. But I can only assume that it is discourage instructors from staying at EDT 1 for ten or more hours, because the law says they don't have to do the next lesson until they feel the learner is good enough.

As regards the insurance; I read that as EDT lessons can only be done in a driving school car with a driving instructor policey. I don't recall any mention of this before. Many of the learners would want to be doing the later EDT lessons in their own cars (the ones they have clocked up 30+ hours of driving in).

(Self snipped comments on the RSA)

Regarding the insurance I got this reply from the RSA:

I refer to your query below in relation to Statutory Instrument No. SI 173 of 2011.

I wish to confirm that the regulation simply requires that proper motor insurance is in place covering the activity of learning to drive. Learning to drive in a Driving School vehicle is a professional activity and usually requires some special type of cover. Learning to drive in one’s own vehicle is generally covered under theSocial, Domestic & Pleasure cover of the policy. In general a learner is usually specifically named on the motor policy as a named driver as it is very rare to get open driving cover for people under the age of 25 years, though it can happen.

As always (whether an EDT lesson or not) an ADI should satisfy him / herself that the activity of learning to drive is properly covered whichever vehicle the training is taking place in.

In answer to your question EDT lessons do not have to be carried out in a driving school vehicle.

I trust this answers your query but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also obtain useful advice/clarification on Insurance matters from your insurer or the Irish Insurance Federation..

ADIDriving wrote: »
    Regarding the insurance I got this reply from the RSA:

I refer to your query below in relation to Statutory Instrument No. SI 173 of 2011.

I wish to confirm that the regulation simply requires that proper motor insurance is in place covering the activity of learning to drive. Learning to drive in a Driving School vehicle is a professional activity and usually requires some special type of cover. Learning to drive in one’s own vehicle is generally covered under theSocial, Domestic & Pleasure cover of the policy. In general a learner is usually specifically named on the motor policy as a named driver as it is very rare to get open driving cover for people under the age of 25 years, though it can happen.

As always (whether an EDT lesson or not) an ADI should satisfy him / herself that the activity of learning to drive is properly covered whichever vehicle the training is taking place in.

In answer to your question EDT lessons do not have to be carried out in a driving school vehicle.

I trust this answers your query but if you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact us again. You can also obtain useful advice/clarification on Insurance matters from your insurer or the Irish Insurance Federation..

As I said above ;)

don't know if this is a help or a hinderence just feel that instructors deserve to know.

Having read this a couple of times now I think it's a hindrance. Basically they are removing the right for us to use our professional opinion and almost be forced to keep moving the pupil onto the next lesson when they might not have mastered the skills taught and practised on and after the previous one.

• Advertisement

They have taken something that was clearcut and made it ambiguous. Instructors can still apply what 'should' be done according to the EDT learner driver info book and the RSA guidelines etc.

Advertisement