Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A HTPC that games - help needed!

Options
  • 25-02-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Looking to build a HTPC that will be used to game at medium use. Looking really for it to replace the xbox, ps3 etc, and possible be able for dolphin emulation.
    Its requirements will be to be silent during HTPC mode (from 6-8ft away) and have the ability to play all releases (BF3, Skyrim etc) on a 42inch plasma at 1024×768.
    Current components:

CPU - i5-750
    Mobo - Asus P7P55-M Matx
    HDD - WD Green 1Tb
    To come:

SSD - Probably pick up a sata II 60gb
    RAM - 4Gb 1333Mhz DDR3
    Where I am stuck!:

Case - Must be desktoop style. Looking at

http://www.dabs.ie/products/antec-nsk-2480-uk-matx-case-380w-psu-6MXM.html?q=antec&src=16

http://www.dabs.ie/products/silverstone-gd04b-grandia-htpc-matx-black-7C9Z.html?q=grandia&src=16

http://www.dabs.ie/products/antec-fusion-remote-black-home-theatre-pc-case-7377.html?q=fusion%20remote&src=16

Psu - guessing this depends dominately on case and gpu choice

Cpu Cooler - No stock with my CPU - must fit in case and be silent during htpc use

Ir reciever, bluetooth etc - not too sure what i require here and there immedaite benefits. I know for dolphin bt is required

Graphics card - the toughest part! The fact I am only gaming at 1024×768 on a TV means im not sure what is overkill etc

5670 - €45 (2nd hand)
    6670 - €70
    6770 - €90
    7750 - €100
    6850 - €120 (plus shipping)
    6870 - €150 "
    5870 - €100 (possibly second hand from a pal)

havent looked at the nvidia options yet.
    Im guessing the antec case with the 380w psu included would be sufficient for the 5670, 6670 and 7750? Would they suit my gaming requirements though?

Cost isnt a huge issue, naturally the cheaper the better. I dont really want to invest in something that wont be utilised and generates too much heat/noise etc but still something that will game to at least console standard.

Any help greatly appreciated!
    I suppose overclocking for Dolphin should be taken into consideration but this isnt an urgent concern.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭M00lers

I have a gaming/workhorse/HTPC built using a Silverstone LC13E-B and love the fact that I can game as well as use it like a HTPC. I wouldn't call it silent but it is quiet.
    Silence costs though, I have a Noctua CPU cooler with 2 92mm fans in push/pull and 3 other Noctua case fans.

I have it connected to my TV which is 1080p and use wireless Xbox controllers for gaming, I like to think of it as a super console for casual PC gaming. With careful component selections you can build a nice quiet gaming HTPC for the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭dazzday

@moolers Same kind of thing I am aiming for. What are your specs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭M00lers

Hi,
    In the middle of an upgrade at the moment, haven't had the time as of yet to install new mobo and CPU but soon.

Current spec below.

CASE:Silverstone LC13B-E

CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 @3.8

PSU:Corsair HX850 Modular

CPU COOLER:Noctua NH-9B SE2 with extra NF-B9 Fan for push pull config.

CASE FANS: 1 x NF-B9 intake on the front and 2 x NF-R8 exhaust in the back.

MOBO:AsRock 790GX Pro

RAM:
    8GB Corsair Vengenance LP

GPU: Asus 6870 DirectCU

HDD:
    Corsair Force 3 128GB for OS and for games currently being played and 1TB Samsung F3 for misc and other games.

PCI Tuner:
    BGT3630

IR Receiver and Remote: Some HP ebay jobbie.

Keyboard/Mouse:
    Logitech K800 and Performance MX

Gamepad: 2 x XBox Wireless controller and wireless receiver.

I have a 2500K and AsRock Z68 Extreme4 that I need to install. I plan to pick up a 2TB Samsung F4 and a fan controller at some stage also. New GPU in about 6 months and then I'm done!!

Advertisement