Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restoring a bettered old cz452

Options
  • 25-02-2012 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭

Ive "inherited" my old boys .22 which has been uncared for and left sitting in a damp safe for 10 or 12 years.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction of instructions on how to restore the wood and metal back to its former glory?
    Was considering posting a step-by-step thread on it when I eventually decide what needs doing to it.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

I will be looking to do similar to a winchester 30-30 in the next few seasons,
    the gun is in a well used condition but is functioning well
    I am going to have to do a complete dismantle and replace a few roll pinsand maybe springs with a possible re-bluing on the external parts

Poulo did a lovely job on his Sako stock by sanding with fine paper and rubbing in a wood oil, there are pictures up on here some where. The name of the oil eludes me at the moment
    definitely post some before and after pictures and keep this thread going as a working process
    there are loads of youtube vids to show how to restore the metalwork, all depends on how confident you are at attempting them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

is the inside of the barrel ok if its been sitting in the damp that long?isuppose youll get a good idea from shooting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

bazza888 wrote: »
    is the inside of the barrel ok if its been sitting in the damp that long?isuppose youll get a good idea from shooting her.

Do no harm asking a local gunsmith or the likes if they have a borescope/endoscope to check out the internal condition of the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

A cheaper option which you can do yourself is to rub any rust off the metal work and clean it all up with emery paper, then sand the stock down to remove the varnish and "camo" paint the whole lot by hand.......All depends what you fancy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Citizen_Erased

Try googling about for brno model 2 refinish or rebuild - it is essentially the precursor to the 452. Generally there are a lot more people restoring these and should be plenty of threads out there as these are more collectable than the 452.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

I shoot two of these, my original first gun (1977) and my father’s (not quite so old but close) one I recently inherited. Both of them are walnut stocked, his is French polished (self done) and mine is oiled (I use a mixture of bees wax and linseed oil). My bluing is pretty worn but still resists rust even when in the rain all day long. When I got it first it, too was under long term storage with some light rusting on the barrel but everything else was great (still shooting a Bushnell sight it came with). Excuse the pun, but these rifles are bullet proof, all metal parts of solid construction and lovely wood, best of luck with your project.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭RICHIE.39

I shoot two of these, my original first gun (1977). ...... Both of them are walnut stocked, his is French polished (self done) and mine is oiled (I use a mixture of bees wax and linseed oil).

Just wondering how did you mix the linseed oiland bees wax? Boiled or straight mix? Have you any pics of the shading it gives. thanks.

At the time (over 20 years ago) I seem to remember buying a liquid wax and mixing it with the oil. Then it was wax on, wax off for a long time. The wood comes out very dark (maghony) but not slick. Today I use a pre-prepared wax /oil wood polish to keep uo the finish. I will try to post some pics soon

The stuff I use is Rustins Liquid Wax.
    Here's some photos (I think).

IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0087.jpg
    IMAG0089.jpg
    IMAG0099.jpg
    IMAG0100.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

The stuff I use is Rustins Liquid Wax.
    Here's some photos (I think).
    IMAG0099.jpg

Like the Door handle on the stock :eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

If the stock is lacquer finished it might be an idea to use a stripper like nitromors on it. I have a shotgun stock I'm going to clean up over the summer and do the same on. Has a thin lacquer coat which is worn in places, so going to strip that first, iron the stock back to perfect finish and then rub in oil by hand. Might even try my hand at installing a recoil pad to finish it off, pick the chequering clean with a toothpick and shiny up the metalwork.

clivej wrote: »
    Like the Door handle on the stock :eek::eek::eek:

So that's what that is.................:D

Advertisement