If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Cinema Sound System Questions?

Options
  • 25-02-2012 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

im looking to get some half decent speakers for my main tv.

the sound from the tv alone is, in a nut shell, cack!!!

here's my question, what exactly do i need to buy?

do i need to buy an amp, or just 5 little speakers?

i already have a blu ray player so obviously dont need that

i dont want to buy something shoddy though. A mate of mine has some little mickey mouse speakers with his dvd and they are utterly useless. Id be after something a little bit better and high brow then that. If you know what i mean.

my price range would be about €400 or so, give or take.

if it makes the advice easier, i have a deep hatred for both Pioneer and Sony. Ive had bad experiences with both manufacturers and simply dont trust them

any help would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Dave

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The best option would be to go for an amp and speakers. You can get the all in one systems, they'd include the likes of a DVD or blu-ray player. Seeing as you've a blu-ray already I'd look at an amp.

We're doing a great deal on a Pioneer amp at the moment. It's the Pioneer VSX 521 priced at £169.95:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx521/pion-vsx521-blk

(as you can see £169.95 is a mega saving!)

I'd pair this up with a pair of the Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers. They sound great and would go along nicely with the 521. Our current price on these is £199.95:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/sfx5.1/tann-sfx5.1-blk

The total for both would be £382.89 / €478.61 delivered.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

Hi Chris,

Thanks for getting in touch.

The best option would be to go for an amp and speakers. You can get the all in one systems, they'd include the likes of a DVD or blu-ray player. Seeing as you've a blu-ray already I'd look at an amp.

We're doing a great deal on a Pioneer amp at the moment. It's the Pioneer VSX 521 priced at £169.95:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/pioneer/vsx521/pion-vsx521-blk

(as you can see £169.95 is a mega saving!)

I'd pair this up with a pair of the Tannoy SFX 5.1 speakers. They sound great and would go along nicely with the 521. Our current price on these is £199.95:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-packages/tannoy/sfx5.1/tann-sfx5.1-blk

The total for both would be £382.89 / €478.61 delivered.

Let me know what you think.

Chris

cheers for the reply Chris.

Pioneer amp though. hmmmm

ill tell you why i dont like Pioneer, i had a pioneer dj mixer that was abysmal for me, and my current car stereo which cost me €600 is not my cup of tea either.

And Teac, arent they Tascam?

i know you're going to be saying "jaysus, what a fussy fecker". but im honestly not, im generally happy with anything thats not sony, Pioneer or Teac/tascam :D

Hi Chris,

Forgive me, totally forgot about the Pioneer and Sony bit. Their AV equipment is fantastic, when they were producing TVs they were the best around imo. But I understand where you're coming from.

Have a look at this all in one kit. The best thing about this is you get the amp and speakers all in one package. It's still a seperate AV amp though so you can upgrade the speakers during time if you wanted to:

http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=HomeTheatre&SubId=HomeTheatrePackages&ProductId=DHT1312XP

We're offering this for just £312.94 / €391.17

Let me know if this tickles your fancy.

Chris

Hi Chris,

Forgive me, totally forgot about the Pioneer and Sony bit. Their AV equipment is fantastic, when they were producing TVs they were the best around imo. But I understand where you're coming from.

Have a look at this all in one kit. The best thing about this is you get the amp and speakers all in one package. It's still a seperate AV amp though so you can upgrade the speakers during time if you wanted to:

http://denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=HomeTheatre&SubId=HomeTheatrePackages&ProductId=DHT1312XP

We're offering this for just £312.94 / €391.17

Let me know if this tickles your fancy.

Chris

looks tasty Chris,

are you based in your Belfast branch?

ill be up in Belfast in a few weeks. Hopefully ill be able to get it then.

thanks a lot for your help. And hopefully ill see you up in Belfast in a few weeks :D

• Company Representative Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey Chris,

Yip Chris works here in our Belfast branch so if you call to the store you can put a face to the posts.

If you have anything you would like us to hold for your visit please let us know :)

• Advertisement

just another little query, well, question more than query.

i like the look of the Denon choice above, i was also looking at this Onkyo 5405 package.

what one would you recommend?

the onkyo system calibrates itself. to a newb it sounds it fool proof, but in your opinion lads, is it gimmicky ,and would the Denon be better?

ill be honest, i dont want something to blow my house down, but i also dont want to hear any clipping noises either. If you know what i mean.

my current tv is just not cutting it for me, so ill definetly be getting a system in the next 2 weeks. ill either make my way up to Belfast, or get it delivered (if thats possible). so im going to leave it n your capable hands lads. You chaps are the experts. :D

Hi Chris.

The issue with the Denon Vs Onkyo system is an interesting one.

The speakers that come as part of the Denon package are better than the Onkyo speakers, but I would have the Onkyo edge it slightly on the receiver. The calibration system is quite useful although it can be setup manually and I prefer to do that, as sound is a personal thing and the system will only set it up the way it thinks.

Personally, I would have the Denon system over the Onkyo and save the money or get the 5 year warranty for £29.95 and still be quids in.

There are a heap of new TV models due out in the coming weeks so your timing is perfect.

Let me know what you think on the speaker package and we'll attack the TV thing closer to the time.

Cheers

Dave

Are all the items in stock up in Belfast?

If so, I might take a trip up on Saturday.

Or do you chaps deliver to Dublin?

Hi Chris.

The Denon is in stock in Belfast.

We have just sold out of the Onkyo system today and we are waiting to hear if we are getting any more in.

We can deliver and it would be £12.99 to deliver this anywhere in Ireland.

Let me know if you would like me to sort that out for you.

ATB

Dave

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.