Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mlitt in English (UK)

Options
  • 25-02-2012 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Hi,

If I were to get a good 2nd, which universities would I be best advised to apply to? I dream about going to St. Andrews, but I really don't know if I'm being realistic. Should I rule out a "top-ten" (in uk) university? I like the older universities, like Edinburgh, Durham, Kings College, should I rule them out?

What kind of thing would be good for a personal statement? Can I talk about all my successes outside of English? (as a composer & performer for instance?) Or should I limit myself purely to English? Basically, what sorts of things should I say in applying for an Mlitt in English?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

If you have an idea of what you want to do your thesis on you should write about it. List and talk about the general areas of criticism you are interested in. Try to get your interest in research across as it is obviously vital.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

Forgot to say it was taught!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

Regardless of whether its taught or not by advice still stands as the thesis will be a major component of the masters. Also state your willingness to debate and discuss topics openly as class will be much less lecture orientated and the lecturer will be much more of a facilitator for debate than undergraduate classes.

Anyone else anything to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭gutenberg

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    Anyone else anything to say?

I applied to St Andrews last year (not for English, but another humanities subject), and I got an offer no problem; the conditions were a 2.1, no mark specified, so if you've been getting 2.1s during your course I don't see why you wouldn't get an offer. I imagine the same is true of a lot of other universities: most humanities-type Master's ask for a 2.1.

As regards extra-curriculars, I found a lot of universities aren't really interested in them: they're more concerned with ensuring that you are able to complete the course. By all means mention them as part of a PS, but don't dwell on them at the expense of describing your actual academic qualifications and interests would be my advice.

• Advertisement

You're great. Thanks for that!

Could I ask which humanities course it was you applied for?

It was one of their History MLitts :)

gutenberg wrote: »
    It was one of their History MLitts :)

You obviously really enjoyed it? I'd imagine it'd be an immense place for history. A kinda tangiable history?

You obviously really enjoyed it? I'd imagine it'd be an immense place for history. A kinda tangiable history?

I didn't take up the place in the end, though I am doing a Master's in the UK (see the Know Your Postgrads thread :) ) but whenever I corresponded with them, or basically had any interaction with them, both while applying and after, they were very pleasant & helpful.

• Advertisement

:) Cool, even better I suppose! What's it like?

:) Cool, even better I suppose! What's it like?

My current uni (to use English parlance)? It's good, hard work though: I think I would have been a little worried if it wasn't! The range of events and academic opportunities are just incredible though, definitely one the uni's best assets. I'm also lucky to have an awesome supervisor :)

Lovely :) Lucky you; glad you enjoy it!

Lovely :) Lucky you; glad you enjoy it!

Thanks :) Good luck with your applications, any university would be lucky to have you!

Advertisement