Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull prone to breaking out.

• 25-02-2012 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭

I got a ch bull last year,he was 2 years old. He is a bit temperamental at times but not dangerous,like a teenager but broke out a few times last year. Will calm down this year or will he break out again. I got him extra cows but has he a roving eye.:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭limo_100

Sonye wrote: »
    I got a ch bull last year,he was 2 years old. He is a bit temperamental at times but not dangerous,like a teenager but broke out a few times last year. Will calm down this year or will he break out again. I got him extra cows but has he a roving eye.:)

put a chain on his ring that should slow him down abit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

.......broke out a few times last year. Will calm down this year or will he break out again.

What sort of fencing is he breaking out through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 404 ✭✭yessam

Mains electric fence is the only job for a bull

• Registered Users Posts: 886 ✭✭✭raher1

Bizzum wrote: »
    What sort of fencing is he breaking out through?

Usual stuff,barb wire and hedging.i was thinking putting a electric wire on his ring....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

.i was thinking putting a electric wire on his ring....

WHAT !
    If your bull isn't crazy that will drive him pure mad and would be bordering on animal cruelty..

Decent electric fence...
    We also had a chain as well for security...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 227 ✭✭yog1

Usual stuff,barb wire and hedging.i was thinking putting a electric wire on his ring....

man that's funny, sort of thing you see in a cartoon, madness of course but the image is funny as hell

Usual stuff,barb wire and hedging.

Run an electric fence along this hedge and the bull will stay home.

i was thinking putting a electric wire on his ring....

Tell us exactly what you intend doing here? Unless I'm missing something it seems a bizarre thing to do.

I was messing lads,it was one mans advise. Could kill the fecker. I got extra cows to spread out his work...the land is scattered so a powerful electric fence could be tricky. I hear you can get power down from individual poles to power a fence?

I hear you can get power down from individual poles to power a fence?

Having a bull with poor control is just hard work and bad for relations with the neighbours..
    A few extra cows will make no difference when a heifer comes bulling over the ditch, your man will be "in like flynn" and you'll end up paying for the damage which could be much more than the cost of an electric fence...

Do the job right, even fence a portion of your land and move cows in with him as you expect they'll be coming round....

the land is scattered so a powerful electric fence could be tricky.

A battery fencer with a good battery will usually stop him in a situation where there is a hedge behind the fence, particularly if he is used to the mains fencer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Its a part of your job to have your farm fenced properly. four strands of barbed wire, properly put up should be adequate to hold any bull. if that doesnt hold him its time to change the bull. what will the cost be if he hits a field full of fattening heifers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭larthehar

Stick a chain in his nose with an electric fence that will even give a small dart.. as soon as the chain hits the fence, a dart in the nostrils... def won't stray.. i had a straying fella and it stopped him in his tracks!!

Could do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

saw a bull with the chain wrapped around the electric fence... not a nice sight... if you have a bull you need proper fencing simple as

whelan1 wrote: »
    saw a bull with the chain wrapped around the electric fence... not a nice sight... if you have a bull you need proper fencing simple as

Indeed..
    We had to factory our last bull as he went cross after touching his ring off a fence in the yard while we were standing looking at him.. He had it in for me big time after that, I presume just because we were there when it happened..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

When i use to do part time summer work, i use to do all the injecting of the bull and the farmer would be out of sight. His thinking was that bulls remember pain and will seek revenge, so unless he could track me 60 mile to college i was safe. He now gets his bro in law to do it and visa versa. I thought it was a good idea.

On a bull tipping a few heifers. It happened us last year with 3 heifers and not our bull. OH went to count on day in June and there was a Char and Lim bull in the field, neither ours. I was more shocked that the 2 bulls didnt fight but the owners got them out that evening and we didnt inject. Sold 1 heifer 'maybe in calf :rolleyes:' the other 2 came a bulling again. Maybe one was firing blank.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭patjack

I was messing lads,it was one mans advise. Could kill the fecker. I got extra cows to spread out his work...the land is scattered so a powerful electric fence could be tricky. I hear you can get power down from individual poles to power a fence?
    yip, you can get power down from individual poles, once off payment, no monthly bill, great job, few hundred euro, and thats it, you'll have to get someone to make a safe steel enclsure you can lock for your fencer though.

Once off payment is cool very cool.

Advertisement