Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Medicine Entry

Options
  • 25-02-2012 9:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Just after completing the hpat today. I've applied for mature entry in trinity and rcsi. I'm currently working as a radiographer. Just wondering does anyone know what kind of hpat score is needed to get an interview in rcsi or trinity. I don't think either department releases scores from previous years. Im a bit stressed at the moment because i don't think then exam went as well as i had hoped. Thanks for any help :-)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 663 ✭✭✭FairytaleGirl

Im also applying for mature entry this year, How i wish I had have seen you yesterday!!! i was in the Blackrock exam centre, and i felt SO old, I'm 24 and travelled down from Derry to Dublin for the exam - not only did i not hear one other Northern accent - but everyone looked so young and had parents with them and a birth year of 1994!!

I felt proper lonely lol How did you find the exam?
    Sorry I've been no help to your original query, but you're the first mature I've seen a recent post from!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

Hey lads,
    I'm currently a mature student studying med. I applied and had interviews over the last few years with all the colleges and my hpat score was 81 and 89. I know a mature studying with a HPAT of 76 and another who applied via mature, got a fantastic score in the high 90's and didn't get one interview. So as you can see, it's a bit hit and miss. No one I know personally seems to be lower than 68 (they were admitted the first year of the HPAT) if that's any use, but it doesn't seem to be a set score quals interview scenario, if your statement and other experience is also good.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dtfo

I was talking to a lady from RCSI at the higher options expo. She said that they invited everyone with a score over 160 to send in an application last year

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I got to interview stage with 174 last year, so 160 sounds about right.

Just so you know I got a letter on the 15th of April last year asking to send on some documents (similar to mature student app's for other colleges), so I would expect they will be sending letters out in the next week or two to all the mature students with suitable scores.

Keep an eye on the postbox!

just to clarify jessibelle was talkin percentiles rather than raw score :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Jessibelle

hollingr wrote: »

just to clarify jessibelle was talkin percentiles rather than raw score :p

ah yes, should have specified that alright :o

• Advertisement

OOH!!Fingers crossed for a letter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

Would any of ye think about re-sitting the Leaving and getting in that way? That's what I'm doing, as I've been warned I wouldn't have the necessary experience to get in as a mature entrant.

^

What experience do you lack exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

I am doing just chemistry and biology as an external student to try help beef up my application since I am a bit short of knowledge/experience in the science department.

I think if you lack proof of academic ability then I can see why repeating full leaving would be a good idea, otherwise I don't see the point.. It's supposed to be a pathway for people with life experience and not focus entirely on grades.

^

What experience do you lack exactly?

No formal training in anything science related. Junior cert science was the last thing I did remotely similar, and that's 10 years ago.

My friend had a degree in pharmacy and a dentist as a brother, yet still didn't get into dentistry until his second attempt. He told me the standard of interviewee was extremely high, judging by those in the waiting area

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

Would any of ye think about re-sitting the Leaving and getting in that way? That's what I'm doing, as I've been warned I wouldn't have the necessary experience to get in as a mature entrant.

I'd advise you to continue what you're doing in light of the amount of time that's passed since your last science classes, though you may well have other experience that could reflect very well on you. Medicine isn't ALL science (though that is a lot of it). Also the effort you've put in so far makes it worth carrying through to see if it works for you.

What subjects are you doing for the LC?

I know a 4th year who got in using the LC having had a MSc in Medical Physics. She didn't look at mature entry at all and went straight for undergrad as plan A and it obviously worked out well for her.

You could keep GAMSAT and mature entry as a backup plan in case the HPAT goes against you.

Good luck for Monday btw! :)

Albection wrote: »
    I'd advise you to continue what you're doing in light of the amount of time that's passed since your last science classes, though you may well have other experience that could reflect very well on you. Medicine isn't ALL science (though that is a lot of it). Also the effort you've put in so far makes it worth carrying through to see if it works for you.

What subjects are you doing for the LC?

I know a 4th year who got in using the LC having had a MSc in Medical Physics. She didn't look at mature entry at all and went straight for undergrad as plan A and it obviously worked out well for her.

You could keep GAMSAT and mature entry as a backup plan in case the HPAT goes against you.

Good luck for Monday btw! :)

I'll be doing the three sciences, Irish, English and Maths and ordinary level German. Only studying p/t at the moment since January - weekend grinds and I study at home. I'll be finishing my f/t job and starting f/t study next month, then f/t in a school from September and sitting the LC in 2013. All I've studied at home since January is Junior Cert Science and finished it last week, so moving onto LC Sciences now. And my weekend grinds have been Irish, English and Maths.

I'd thoroughly recommend what I'm doing at the moment. Rather than getting bored by it (or even worse - not understanding it), everything I've studied seems so much more interesting as an adult, and therefore easier to learn. It is of course risky, and I've been saving for a year and a half to fund it, but it could all be worth it.

And your good luck wishes still count as I sat the h-pat this year (since they last for two years) so thanks for that! I'll need it! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

And your good luck wishes still count as I sat the h-pat this year (since they last for two years) so thanks for that! I'll need it! :D

Do you mind me asking under what circumstances were you able to do the hpat this year? Did you do it with the aim of mature entry? Just wondering because the HPAT cannot be sat in 5th year if you were in school.

Do you mind me asking under what circumstances were you able to do the hpat this year? Did you do it with the aim of mature entry? Just wondering because the HPAT cannot be sat in 5th year if you were in school.

Any past pupil can do it. I mailed Hpat Ireland and told them my circumstances (completed the LC in 2005 and re-sitting it in 2013) and they forwarded me on a number to use as a CAO number during the test and told me I could sit the h-pat this year and next, and use whichever result is better.

I did it with the aim of undergrad entry, not mature entry. Think of me like any pupil who sits h-pat and LC this year and doesn't get what they want, and so re-sits next year.

Hope that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Any past pupil can do it. I mailed Hpat Ireland and told them my circumstances (completed the LC in 2005 and re-sitting it in 2013) and they forwarded me on a number to use as a CAO number during the test and told me I could sit the h-pat this year and next, and use whichever result is better.

I did it with the aim of undergrad entry, not mature entry. Think of me like any pupil who sits h-pat and LC this year and doesn't get what they want, and so re-sits next year.

Hope that helps.

Ah ok, for some reason I took it up from your post about Junior Cert Science that you left school after that and hadn't done the Leaving at all. Sorry about that! Best of luck with it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭Albection

I'll be doing the three sciences, Irish, English and Maths and ordinary level German. Only studying p/t at the moment since January - weekend grinds and I study at home. I'll be finishing my f/t job and starting f/t study next month, then f/t in a school from September and sitting the LC in 2013. All I've studied at home since January is Junior Cert Science and finished it last week, so moving onto LC Sciences now. And my weekend grinds have been Irish, English and Maths.

I'd thoroughly recommend what I'm doing at the moment. Rather than getting bored by it (or even worse - not understanding it), everything I've studied seems so much more interesting as an adult, and therefore easier to learn. It is of course risky, and I've been saving for a year and a half to fund it, but it could all be worth it.

Hope yesterday went well for you!

It really looks like you've set everything up well in terms of aiming for undergrad entry. So I really hope everything works out for you. :D

I did all three sciences for LC and I've a brother with a degree (and soon to have a masters) in German so if you need notes etc. or advice, feel free to PM away. :D

Albection wrote: »
    Hope yesterday went well for you!

It really looks like you've set everything up well in terms of aiming for undergrad entry. So I really hope everything works out for you. :D

I did all three sciences for LC and I've a brother with a degree (and soon to have a masters) in German so if you need notes etc. or advice, feel free to PM away. :D

It went surprisingly well, thanks!

Jeez that's so sound of ya, thanks a million - I may take you up on that further on down the line.

I do stop myself about once a month and think "am I mad?" so it's nice to get a bit of support on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Nah your not mad at all. If you want to do it you won't be happy 'till you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 adamdunne01

Hi All,

Just a quick question regarding the Mature Entry Process to Medicine. For those who did not have or do Chemistry did you go back and repeat it within a year in your own time and if so how did you find it?

Adam

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭SillyBeans

Hi guys, not sure if I should start a new thread for this. I've had a look on the various websites for the colleges re entry requirements but I'm still a bit unclear.

I have a 2.1, does that exclude me from mature entry? Must I go down the graduate entry route?

I have the science subjects and the required grades and points but I repeated the Leaving Cert and didn't repeat Irish. Because I didn't get both grades and subjects required for matriculation in the same sitting, does that exclude me? Or does that fact that it's mature entry exempt me from that rule?

I've emailed the colleges but haven't heard back yet.

Also regarding fees, do mature student with a degree already have to pay fees? I did mine outside of Ireland so it would be the first time I'd be availing of free fees.

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Hi guys, not sure if I should start a new thread for this. I've had a look on the various websites for the colleges re entry requirements but I'm still a bit unclear.

I have a 2.1, does that exclude me from mature entry? Must I go down the graduate entry route?

I have the science subjects and the required grades and points but I repeated the Leaving Cert and didn't repeat Irish. Because I didn't get both grades and subjects required for matriculation in the same sitting, does that exclude me? Or does that fact that it's mature entry exempt me from that rule?

I've emailed the colleges but haven't heard back yet.

Also regarding fees, do mature student with a degree already have to pay fees? I did mine outside of Ireland so it would be the first time I'd be availing of free fees.

Thanks!

I may be wrong, but think most of the below is fairly close.

a 2.1 degree in anything makes you eligeable for Grad Entry (GEM) - you dont need any science/irish or any other LC subjects to apply through this route. You sit a GAMSAT in February and those who score highest get the places. Also I understand these are usually 4 year courses and not 5/6. Fees are circa €10k per year, you would not be eligeable for free fees, but would get 20% tax relief on fees paid.

You can also apply as a mature once you fit the criteria of a mature- again my understanding is that this is 100% exclusive of the LC, so if you never did Chem, Irish etc it wouldnt matter- though my understanding is that most would have satisfied matriculation. You must sit the HPAT in february as well as submitting references, documentation, personal statements etc. The mature route is quite subjective, and there is no guaranteed access (probably about 20-30 places in the country). Fees are circa €16,000 pa in RCSI, though im not sure about the other colleges, again, 20% tax relief applies.

You can also apply via the traditional LC route (in conjunction with HPAT) - Full matriculation must be satisfied in the same year as the points you are using to qualify, and added to HPAT which can only be done in the year of your application (eg you cannot sit HPAT in 2012 and use this score toward entry in 2015) - regards fees, my understanding is that you will be liable for full fees because you have a level 8 degree already (if doesnt matter that the state didnt fund it) - though maybe call Citizens Information about this.

You can apply for GEM, Mature and traditional CAO/LC/HPAT in the same year and will be equally eligeable for all once you satisfy the criteria required (essentially 3 seperate applications)

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the reply Caolan.

I'm aware I qualify for graduate entry but I'm trying to avoid going that route. What I'm trying to find out is if I qualify for graduate entry, does that exclude me from mature entry to medicine? I know that I can't apply to UCD as a mature student because I qualify for graduate entry but I'm not sure if this is the case in all colleges?

Also what I'm trying to find out is, as a mature entry student, do I have to have achieved the points, subjects and grades in the same year? This is required if applying on the basis of school results, but is that requirement waived for mature entry?

Thanks for any help.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Caolan

SillyBeans wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply Caolan.

I'm aware I qualify for graduate entry but I'm trying to avoid going that route. What I'm trying to find out is if I qualify for graduate entry, does that exclude me from mature entry to medicine? I know that I can't apply to UCD as a mature student because I qualify for graduate entry but I'm not sure if this is the case in all colleges?

Also what I'm trying to find out is, as a mature entry student, do I have to have achieved the points, subjects and grades in the same year? This is required if applying on the basis of school results, but is that requirement waived for mature entry?

Thanks for any help.

Not sure about UCD (from what I'm told its nearly impossible to get there as a mature anyway). from reading threads here there is a belief that in 2013 they accepted no mature students, and in 2014 there was only a handful of interviewees. I know most other colleges are more than happy to accept applications from people applying through GEM and Mature simultaneously, just apply through CAO (trinity have their own application portal as well)

As a mature applicant you do NOT need to have satisfied all matriculation in the same year (some of the colleges you dont need to satisfy matriculation at all for mature applicants). You do however have to sit the HPAT.

Remember that GEM is alot less subjective than the Mature route.

I just looked at the UCC graduate entry page on the off chance it would mention mature entry there. It does! It says that since 2013, if you are eligible for graduate entry, you can't apply as a mature entry student. So that's UCD and UCC out!

The main reason for avoiding GEM is because of it being a year shorter with shorter holidays so less time for me to work and save some money during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Abby19

Trinity has in the past accepted students via the mature route even when eligible for Grad Med. Not 100% sure about RCSI, and they have the largest number of spaces.

Yes there are longer holidays, but you ahve to pay for at least an extra year. Grad Med 4 years, Mature Med 5-6 years, depending on the institution.

There is a lot of info in a lot of different threads on applying to medicine. Check out http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=832

Try contacting the mature student officer/applications office in the various colleges, they'll have the most up to date info.

Thanks for the reply. I've contacted them but I've been waiting ages to hear back so thought I'd just check to see if other people had any idea. I've had a look thought the other threads but couldn't find many about my particular situation.

Regarding the mature entry or GEM. It's a year extra but it's not quite as intense so there is more chance of me being able to work part time and have more time during the summer to work. I'm not completely discounting GEM, but mature entry would be my preferred one.

Advertisement