Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hunter Gatherer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

14:25 Fairyhouse
    Dressedtothenines

This Grade 2 mares novice hurdle is a competitive looking affair with a couple of unexposed runners, and the one I think has the scope to improve for this is Edward Harty's Dressedtothenines.

With only 4 runs to date, all since the turn of the year, I don't think we have seen the best of Dressedtothenines. Her opening attempt in a maiden hurdle was a mediocre effort when she finished well down the field. This 5 year old improved drastically from that run however and ran out a very decent winner next time out over 2 miles on testing conditions. She still looked a little green that day and didn't seem overly comfortable on the heavy going.

A step up in quality into a Grade 2 at Naas was the next port of call for this mare and she put up a tenacious effort to get up for 2nd behind the Willie Mullins trained Felix Yonger. After failing to pick up for a long way on the soft going she finished really strongly to suggest she would progress over further. The winner gave 7lbs that day but has since gone on to finish a decent 2nd in the Neptune, so the form looks quite good.

Dressedtothenines most recent effort came in a listed contest in Limerick , and after being sent off a strong favourite she failed to justify the support and finished 5 lengths off Norah's Fancy, a horse who she previously beat by 6 lengths. The ground was very testing that day and they went no gallop for the first mile, which really stifled her chances.

Connections have stepped her up tomorrow to 2 miles 4 furlongs for the first time, and I think it will be a massive benefit. Most horses out of Oscar want good ground so it is surprising that she hasn't raced on anything better than soft yet. Tony McCoy takes the reins for this and I'm hoping that the extra half mile on a sounder surface will give Dressedtothenines the chance to show her best form.

Dressedtothenines, 1 point win at 11/2 (Boylesports)

Call the Police (-2 points) ran no sort of race today and certainly seemed to be feeling the effects of his RSA endeavours. He seemed to be slow over his fences again today which was disappointing but he looked very light in his frame and will probably be kept for another day. Step back up in trip will certainly be on the agenda but poor selection on my part all the same.

Dressedtothenines (-1 point) ran a very credible third in the mares race. She certainly improved for the better ground and trip as I expected and had every chance turning for home. She seemed to tire badly coming to the last so probably hit the front too soon, but there is definitely more improvement to come. She will certainly go chasing at some stage aswell so into the tracker with this one.

Bank: 17 points (-3 points)

14:40 Fairyhouse
    Get Me Out Of Here

One of the first pieces of advice I was given about horses was that weight will stop any animal, and that was certainly the case with this Jp McManus owned 8 year old in the Coral Cup.

Get Me Out Of Here is one of my favourite horses in training and I was absolutely gutted to see him get beat last time out when that monster gambled was landed from Donald McCain and co. They are the breaks you take in a big handicap lugging 11-12 around though and it is encouraging that Johnjo O'Neill has decided to enter him into this Grade 2 contest over 2 miles 4 furlongs. This gelding has had a very decent season this year when running Oscar Whiskey close in a Grade 2 at Cheltenham over 2m 5f, followed by a very impressive 2nd in the Betfair Hurdle when he was dropped back to 2 miles.

Get Me Out Of Here rarely runs a bad race and is one of the best hurdlers of an obstacle I have seen. With some unexpected weather coming overnight it looks like the sound conditions could change, which probably isn't ideal for my selection. However, I still think that he has the beating of this field on his day. Oscars Well is an admirable horse and although conditions will hamper him aswell he has put up some gallant efforts on testing ground this season. The key swing for me is that he has to concede 7lbs to Tony McCoy's mount which will be a tough task. Fairyhouse does tend to hold a lot of moisture so the less rain the better, but I'm sure connections won't run him if the conditions are totally unsuitable. I think the penny has long dropped that his handicap mark is ruined and Get Me Out Of Here has certainly shown enough ability to warrant an entry in this Grade 2 contest, and has a big chance to get competitive here in my opinion.

Get Me Out Of Here, 2.5 points win at 9/4 (Boylesports)

16:50 Fairyhouse
    Start Me Up

I have never been a massive fan of the Irish Grand National and this years renewal looks a drab enough affair. One horse who I feel could be a couple of pounds well in is the Gigginstown owned Start Me Up.

This 8 year old initially caught my eye last December when he put up a courageous display to get up on the line to beat Bertie's Dream in a 3 mile novice chase at Navan. I know that horse was lined up for that race and in top order so I really rate the form. Charlie Swan's gelding followed up that win with a 4½ length 3rd to Seabass in Limerick over 2 and a half miles. That was a very decent performance considering he wants further but his jumping was sketchy on occasions.

Connections obviously felt that he had the potential to stay further and entered him into a 3 and a half mile handicap chase at Punchestown. Start Me Up travelled strongly throughout and Davy Russell seemed to have plenty of horse under him turning into the last half mile, but unfortunately he clipped heels and slipped up. It isn't clear what he would have found that day but he certainly looked like he had plenty left in the tank to get competitive. A Grade 2 novice chase at Navan was the next port of call and another gallant effort ensued. After being held out the back by Ruby Walsh he came powerfully through the field to go down by less than a length. The impressive Four Commanders was a neck in front that day and is well fancied to land this 3 mile 5 furlong contest tomorrow. My selection has a 10lbs swing for that effort when you take the jockeys claim into the equation so I really think he has a massive chance to go close here.

The Kim Muir at Cheltenham has proved a decent marker for National horses in recent years and Nina Carberry gave this 8 year old a peach of a ride to get 5th just over three weeks ago. He was travelling best at the bottom of the hill and she didn't really go for him until after the last, so I think connections certainly had future plans in mind. The trip is a concern tomorrow but Start Me Up does all his best work at the end of his races which is encouraging. He will love any juice in the ground aswell and I think he is definitely capable of winning off a mark of 133, which is 126 when you take account of Dalton's 7lbs claim. It usually is a minefield of a race but I hope he has enough ability to get involved at the business end of things here.

Start Me Up, 1 point win at 18/1 (Ladbrokes)

Get Me Out Of Here (+5.63 points) finally landed his first Grade 2 win for connections and it was certainly well deserved. He is as consistent an animal around and was made to work today although I have a feeling he had plenty more in the tank if needed. The ground didn't inconvenience him too much but he was quite keen at the start and was a little slow getting into a rhythm over his hurdles. He supposedly wasn't looking the best in his coat beforehand but I thought he was given a peach of a ride by McCoy, he had plenty of confidence to wait for the split and delivered the horse perfectly. I never go to Fairyhouse on National day but I had someone on the job to get me a few snaps of him so I should have another one for the wall soon.

Start Me Up (-1 point) obviously felt the effects of his Cheltenham effort and dropped out very tamely when the race heated up. He only lost to Líon na Bearnaí by under a length when they met in a Grade 2 in February so I definitely feel a better prep would have yielded a far more positive result. He seemed to be travelling well but just emptied quickly and I think there is some races definitely in this fella who seems very well handicapped to me.

Bank: 21.63 (+1.63 points)

• Advertisement

16:30 Fairyhouse
    Askanna

A tentative enough selection here in this Grade 3 mares chase but I think that Askanna has enough ability to win should she return to form.

Colin Bowe's mare is a quality animal in her own right and won a very competitive Grade 2 novice hurdle at Punchestown last year. After falling in the Lismullen hurdle on her reappearance she finished last in a 3 pronged field to So Young by 14½ lengths in November. That wasn't a bad effort and her first introduction to fences proved successful when she won a beginners chase first time up. Her most recent efforts haven't being as fruitful and she has been pulled up on both occasions on testing ground.

I initially thought Colin Bowe's mare was being lined up for the 4 miler at Cheltenham but connections decided to stay in Ireland. She was given a very easy time of it at Limerick 3 weeks ago and I think she will certainly improve for the better ground. Andrew Mc is booked for his second consecutive ride on the mare and I think she is overpriced for this contest. The favourite has the form in the book but if Askanna can return to her Spring form from last season she should have a very good chance to go close. The trip of 2 and a half miles is probably on the tight side but I'm willing to take a chance at the price.

Askanna, 0.63 points win at 16/1 (Boylesports)

Askanna (+10 points) came back to form with a bang to land this Grade 3 contest at 16/1. She certainly improved for the better ground but the fact she was ridden prominently was the key factor. I thought she might be reeled in after the last from Banjaxed Girl who just wouldn't go away, but it was a fantastic effort from Colin Bowe's mare to battle to the line after being out in front for so long.

Bank: 31.63 points (+11.63 points)

Huntley wrote: »

Askanna, 0.63 points win at 16/1 (Boylesports)

HUMONGOUS price :cool:
    Excellent stuff, I was raging yesterday, was planning on having a bit on Get Me Out of Here thanks to your write up but was welded to the bed :o

RoverJames wrote: »
    HUMONGOUS price :cool:
    Excellent stuff, I was raging yesterday, was planning on having a bit on Get Me Out of Here thanks to your write up but was welded to the bed :o

Cheers James, I know you are a fan of Jonjo and he has a real good one in GMOOH. He is a serious animal, super consistent and deserves a couple of more 1's on his record.

14:30 Aintree
    Dodging Bullets

With only 4 weeks separating Cheltenham from the Aintree festival it is quite difficult to assess the form of many horses who may have lost their edge since. One race which doesn't seem to fall foul to this is the juvenile contests as many of these 4 year olds have been very lightly campaigned. I quite enjoy trying to find a juvenile to follow for the coming season, and Dodging Bullets ticks all the boxes for me.

Bred by Frankie Dettori, this 4 year old had a satisfactory flat campaign in Ireland with the Tyrone trainer Andrew Oliver. He never raced over 1 mile 2 furlongs so he certainly has the speed for 2 miles over hurdles. His final endeavour on the flat resulted in him giving 7lbs and a ½ length beating to Hisabaat, who subsequently went on to come 2nd in the Triumph Hurdle.

Dodging Bullets's first effort over hurdles for Paul Nicholls yielded a positive result at Kempton. After pulling hard for the first half mile he tracked the strong favourite Grumeti up the straight, and after some sketchy jumping he finished strongly to be a close second. He received 5lbs from Alan King's gelding that day who probably had more in the tank than the distance suggested, but it was a real good effort from a green horse on his first spin over obstacles.

Connections decided to let the horse take his chance in the wide open Triumph Hurdle, and Daryl Jacob got a fantastic tune out of his mount to finish a close 4th. After being held up at the back of the field Dodging Bullets made his move late and had every chance at the bottom of the hill. He travelled strongly but just didn't really seem to take to the hill despite battling on well up the inside rail. That wasn't too worrying as many of these speedy types aren't mature enough to take to the tough nature of Cheltenham which is evident every year. However, his jumping seemed better off a fast pace and he certainly showed plenty of signs that he is capable of further improvement.

The ground seems to have gone a little tacky at Aintree and that is a minor worry considering my selection has been campaigned mainly on sound surfaces. He is out of Dubawi so I don't think a slight bit of cut will inconvenience him and I am expecting a big run back on a flat track like Aintree. The penny doesn't seem to have dropped with Ruby Walsh that Pearl Swan needs further and it is no harm having Daryl Jacob back on board after his fine effort last time. Dodging Bullets is all about speed and back on favourable conditions I think he has enough scope and ability to put in a bold showing in this Grade 1 contest. It is only his third spin over hurdles so I won't be too disappointed if he falls short in this competive field, as I really think he is going to be a big player in the 2 mile contests next year if he fulfils his potential.

Dodging Bullets, 2 points win at 9/2 (Boylesports)

• Advertisement

15:05 Aintree
    What A Friend

The Aintree Bowl is a difficult race to assess because you are essentially guessing which horses are going to feel the effects of their Cheltenham endeavours. What A Friend is the selection who I think can take advantage here and regain this Grade 1 prize that he won in 2010.

What A Friend has had a lenient enough season to date with only 3 runs so far. After being pulled up in the Grand National last April, Paul Nicholls's 9 year old had his reappearance last October when he was well beaten in a Grade 2 hurdle at Wetherby. He was put away for the winter months after that and had a very good prep run at Newbury in the AON, when he travelled really well only to lose out to Long Run by 4¼ lengths. Granted he was getting 10lbs from the winner that day but it was still an inspiring effort for connections and everything was set up for a decent tilt at the Gold Cup.

Based on his Newbury effort What A Friend would have been in the mix up at the finish but it wasn't to be when he fell early doors. Thankfully the horse is alright and that was actually a blessing in disguise, as he should still be in tip top condition for this contest tomorrow. Burton Port and Riverside Theatre are the class animals in the race on all accounts, but I don't think either will be suited by another 3 miles after having compacted seasons. What A Friend certainly isn't a Grade 1 horse by any stretch of the imagination but he may just have enough about him to land the spoils here in what looks a trappy enough contest.

What A Friend, 1 point win at 9/1 (Ladbrokes)

Dodging Bullets (-2 points) ran no sort of race and was very disappointing. He was checked by a faller down the back but failed to pick up as I thought he could and was well beaten. I would be interested in seeing him over for the Punchestown race on the Saturday but I'm not sure what connections will do with him now.

What A Friend (-1 point) didn't have one of his going days unfortunately and never threatened. He is a very quirky character and I wouldn't be surprised if he is jumping streams and ditches in the near future.

Bank: 28.63 points (+8.63 points)

14:30 Aintree
    Silviniaco Conti

This 5 runner Grade 2 novice chase tomorrow looks the perfect race for the Paul Nicholls trained Silviniaco Conti and I will be having my first max bet of the thread as a result.

Silviniaco Conti has always been highly regarded by connections after winning two Grade 2 contests last season over hurdles. He has taken well to fences although hasn't really fulfilled the potential that I think he can over timber. His seasonal pipe opener was a decent effort when he finished a 4½ length third behind Cue Card and Michael Flips. That from has been franked throughout the season but he was expected to improve for the run and he duly obliged when winning next time out in a Grade 2. He routed an average field that day by 25 lengths at Wincanton but it was the manner of his jumping and high cruising speed which really caught my eye.

It was widely regarded that the horse was always better going right handed and many felt he had a massive chance in the Feltham at Kempton. After jumping sketchily at the start he warmed to his task and looked to be going well coming off the back. The high cruising Grands Crus had him off the bridle in the straight though and after looking like he was going to be well beaten he battled on valiantly to the line to finish a 2¼ length second. That was probably more to do with Grands Crus inability to see out 3 miles but it was a promising enough effort anyway considering he had Bob's Worth held behind.

The Grade 2 Reynoldstown was the next port of call for this Fench gelding and he was well supported into 11/10 on the exchanges. Unfortunately he couldn't justify favouritism and was well beaten, so much so that something seemed a miss. It was later reported that there was a mild equine flu floating around Ditcheat at the time so I can certainly forgive him that effort.

Connections decided to keep this 6 year old away from Cheltenham and he has been aimed at this race tomorrow. Champion Court ran a blinder in the Jewson but I would have massive reservations about the consequences of that effort and I'm not totally convinced he sees out 3 miles. Join Together simply needs more testing conditions and Solix looks like he has plenty to find after a poor effort at Cheltenham. The flat track will suit Silviniaco Conti tomorrow and I think he should have the beating of this field if Nicholls has him in top condition. The fact he has been prepared for this race is a massive advantage and any juice that gets into the ground will only improve his chances. There is very little in it on ratings but I think he is slightly overpriced and am hoping with conditions to suit he will land another Grade 2 novice chase for connections.

Silviniaco Conti, 4 points win at 7/4 (Boylesports)

15:40 Aintree
    Little Josh

The Topham chase is always a competitive affair and that is no different for tomorrows line up, but I think that Little Josh has enough about him to win this on his return to handicap company.

The pinnacle of Little Josh's career was when he won the Paddy Power in 2010, but he unfortunately hasn't reached the heights that many felt he could since. He has had an unfortunate enough run considering he was injured for almost a year, but he certainly instilled enough confidence for me when he reappeared in the Argento in late January. He jumped like a buck that day and looked like the winner three out but faded tamely when they hit the rising ground. He probably didn't see out the trip and the lack of fitness surely played a part, so I wasn't overly happy to see him turned out in the Ascot chase only 3 weeks later.

Little Josh emptied quickly that day aswell and was pulled up when he dropped out, but there was a virus in the yard at that point so it probably wasn't his true running. His next endeavour came in the Ryanair chase, and after travelling strongly from the front Sam Twiston-Davies when his chance was gone.

Little Josh has been dropped 9lbs to a mark of 145 since his reappearance and I certainly think he is capable of defying that considering he won the Paddy Power off 146. He is a big rangey sort that should handle these fences and I think the 2 miles 6 furlong trip is perfect for him. It is a question mark whether he can return to form and at 10 his best years may be behind him, but this is a massive step down in class for him. The yard aren't exactly firing either but I certainly think that Little Josh has enough ability to go close here should he get a clean round.

Little Josh, 1 point win at 11/1 (William Hill)

15:05 Aintree
    Albertas Run

I toyed with the Melling for a while and after initially being stumped, I am going to take a chance on the ultra consistent Albertas Run.

It probably isn't the shrewdest bet from me because of the interrupted season this 11 year old has had, but I really think that his tenacity could be the key swing against Finian's Rainbow. I'm keen to take on the Henderson runner because I don't think he will have enough fight in him to reel in the old boy who just gallops for fun. Granted it was a monumental effort from the Jonjo O'Neill trained gelding in the Ryanair and that very well could have left it's mark. However, he won this contest in 2010 and put up a gallant second last year when he didn't travel a yard. Another performance like that should see him go very close here by all accounts.

I'm not sure what they do in Jackdaws Castle but you will rarely see one come out of there who isn't a ferocious battler. Albertas Run is the epitome of this and is one of the more admirable animals in training. He doesn't know when he is beat and with Tony McCoy on his back it is a partnership that couldn't complement each other more. The trip is certainly in his favour and the long Aintree straight really plays to his strengths as he just gallops until the sun goes down. He has plenty of accolades already with a Melling, RSA and two Ryanairs to his record, but I certainly hope he can power away from this field tomorrow to land another Grade 1 for connections. The ground probably isn't ideal but if Cheltenham hasn't had a lasting effect on Albertas Run I won't be surprised to see this machine barrelling up the straight with the Spring sun shining on his back.

Albertas Run, 2.5 points win at 5/2 (Paddy Power)

16:50 Aintree
    Saphir River

A very tentative selection here from me on the French import Saphir River.

This grey had some decent French form placing in a Grade 3 and Grade 1 contest near the end of 2011. Michael Scudamore nitpicked him for connections since for a massive £240,000 sterling so they certainly think he has the potential to be a classy animal. He was a big outsider in the Coral but fell at the second fence so there isn't any credible form yet in these part of the waters. Paul Carberry is booked for tomorrow and there probably isn't anyone better to have jocked up on an inexperienced horse.

Saphir River has been given a mark of 139 and I simply don't know where that puts him. He is still only 6 so has plenty of scope for improvement, but I will be interested to see how he goes tomorrow. There was 50/1 around for a brief couple of minutes but that is long gone, and I am satisfied to have an experimental punt at 25's. The last time I had a hunch about a French import was for Tom George's Halley, and I wouldn't even get up on him for the hunt on a Sunday morning. I am starting to think that I could just be a sucker for a good hound so hopefully I am proved wrong tomorrow.

Saphir River, 0.5 point win at 25/1 (SkyBet)

16:15 Aintree
    Fingal Bay

Fingal Bay was unfortunate to pick up an injury before Cheltenham that kept him out of the Neptune, and I think he is overpriced here for this contest.

It was last December that I had a max bet on Fingal Bay when he absolutely battled Simonsig into submission at Sandown. That horse has since gone on to show he is a real quality animal winning the Neptune and the step up in trip is bound to help my selection. Hobbs has his string firing at the minute and I think that minor setback is the only reason why this horse isn't odds on.

Fingal Bay, 3 points win at 11/8 (Paddy Power)

Silviniaco Conti (+7 points) absolutely sluiced in and won like a max bet should. I haven't seen a novice jump better all year apart from Sprinter Sacre and it was a real quality performance to win by 13 lengths. Certainly one for the flat tracks next year and he does look a bit special.

Little Josh (-1 point) was very well supported into 15/2 favourite but failed to finish off his races. His mark was certainly workable but he got in tight to a few and just didn't have enough in the tank for the long Aintree straight. Probably in need of a rest after having such a compacted season.

Albertas Run (-2.5 points) never seemed comfortable and was certainly feeling the impact of his Cheltenham effort. It wasn't a surprise really considering how much of a gallant effort that was in the Ryanair and he never got into a decent jumping rhythm.

Fingal Bay (-3 points) looked like the winner from a long way out but he just got outstayed in the end. I was surprised he hit the front soo soon and thought he may have gotten away with it, but he just faded after they jumped the last. Connections have supposedly planned on sending him chasing so he will certainly be one for the RSA shortlist next year.

Saphir River (-0.5 point) ran a cracker and was given a peach of a ride by Paul Carberry. He was a well beaten third but it was a promising effort for connections and it will be interesting t see what sort of a mark he will get after that.

All the horses placed today but it was a rather deflating day to break even after it started out so promising.

Bank: 28.63 points (+8.63 points)

14:50 Aintree
    Oscar Whisky

The Aintree Hurdle is a competitive affair this year where a claim can be made for 3 or 4 of the field. I am siding with the Dai Walters owned Oscar Whisky who will be attempting to win this Grade 1 for the second consecutive year.

Nicky Henderson had centered this animal's season around the World Hurdle but he simply didn't stay. Oscar Whisky had placed in a Supreme Novices and Champion Hurdle so it was always a big ask for this speed horse to see out 3 miles over such a stiff course. His seasonal pipe opener didn't go to plan when he came down at the last flight in the Grade 2 Coral Hurdle at Ascot. He was battling it out with Overturn at the time and in all probability he was going to be beat by the McCain horse had he stayed up. However, he was giving 8lbs that day and the form has certainly worked out well with the winner going on to win the Fighting Fifth and come 2nd in the Champion Hurdle.

Oscar Whisky's next two outings were pretty straightforward wins at Cheltenham over 2 miles 5 furlongs. He never came off the bridle on either occasion and after a satisfactory prep on the AW at Kempton he was all set for a tilt at the World Hurdle. He travelled a jumped well that day but didn't stay when they got to the business end of things. It was actually a decent effort in the grand scheme of things and Barry eased him home when he realised his chance was gone.

One of this 7 year olds main advantages is that he has a very high cruising speed, but he does find off the bridle when needs be. When he won last year he was left out front for almost a mile and it was a remarkable effort that he galloped all the way to the line to win. With conditions to suit I think he has a massive chance to retain his crown here back on a flat track. Zarkandar will appreciate the extra half a mile but I think he has enough negatives for me to avoid him here. After a tough reappearance connections felt that his effort in the Betfair had left it's mark when the Champion Hurdle came around. Nicholls had initially suggested that they would put him away for the summer so I really don't think he wants another tough race only 4 weeks later. Rock On Ruby is a massive danger but he was over the top at this stage last season and could be feeling the exertions of that gallant effort to win the Champion Hurdle. It isn't without possibility that the World Hurdle may have taken the edge off Oscar Whisky but if it hasn't I think he has a massive chance to land his second Grade 1 for all at Seven Barrows. I think Rock On Ruby could try and make all and that would be ideal for Barry Geraghty's mount who he will try to keep swinging off the bridle for as long as possible.

Oscar Whisky, 4 points win at 9/4 (Boylesports)

15:25 Aintree
    Saint Are

Saint Are was shaping up to be a promising prospect at the end of last season when he won the Grade 1 Sefton Hurdle over tomorrows distance. His chasing career started off good when he ran in a 5 length second to the impressive Champion court over 2 and a half miles at Aintree. The form of that race has worked out well and the third horse Astracad has since reached a mark of 145 and is the winner of a class 2 handicap. Tim Vaughan's geldings next effort was in a class 2 novice at Cheltenham were he was simply outclassed. that was a strong field and it was a much better effort next time out at Doncaster over 3 miles when he ran in a close second to Harry The Viking who came 2nd in the 4 miler at Cheltenham three weeks ago.

Saint Are's next three starts proved fruitless but all of them were over 2 miles 5 furlongs at Cheltenham. I think he is better than those efforts but the track and trip were not suitable. He dropped out very quickly last time out in a listed race at the festival and Dickie Johnson gave him a very easy ride, so I'm hoping connections have him lined up for this tomorrow. This French 6 year old is still unexposed and is open to plenty of improvement back over a flat track. The yard have been in decent form recently and if Saint Are can improve for the conditions and step up in trip I think he has a live chance to go close in this contest.

Saint Are, 1 point win at 12/1 (SkyBet)

• Advertisement

The Grand National is probably the worst betting proposition ever invented, but it is almost morally wrong for any racing enthusiast not to have a bet.

16:15 Aintree Grand National
    Chicago Grey

Gordon Elliot has been lining his 9 year old up for this contest since he won the 4 mile novice at Cheltenham in 2011. He has had a very easy preparation all season and he will stay all day which is a massive advantage. The days of them crawling around for a circuit are long gone and Chicago Grey is a slow starter, so I would be worried whether he will be able to keep tabs early doors. It is more disadvantageous to have a hold up horse in the National but the magician Paul Carberry is jocked up and he is the perfect type to get a horse jumping fluently and into a decent rhythm.

Chicago Grey, 0.5 points e/w at 29/1 (Betfair)

16:15 Aintree Grand National
    Planet Of Sound

Phillip Hobbs yard have finally come into form for the first time this season and I really think the price about this 10 year old is too big. He is a quality animal who landed the Guinness Gold Cup in 2010. He beat a quality field that day and if it wasn't for injury he may have had more accolades on his record. The form of his Hennessy second hasn't worked out but that was a fantastic effort and he has a strong stamina line in his pedigree. He is on a stern mark here of 156 but I just get the feeling that he has the same type of profile as the 2010 winner Don't Push It, who actually won off a mark only 3lbs lower.

Planet Of Sound, 0.5 points e/w at 39/1 (Betfair)

As always a massive amount of luck is needed to get a clear round, and anything after that is a bonus in reality. It is never a dull affair but hopefully we will see 40 tails and heads standing when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭markc91

Huntley wrote: »
    15:25 Aintree
    Saint Are

Saint Are was shaping up to be a promising prospect at the end of last season when he won the Grade 1 Sefton Hurdle over tomorrows distance. His chasing career started off good when he ran in a 5 length second to the impressive Champion court over 2 and a half miles at Aintree. The form of that race has worked out well and the third horse Astracad has since reached a mark of 145 and is the winner of a class 2 handicap. Tim Vaughan's geldings next effort was in a class 2 novice at Cheltenham were he was simply outclassed. that was a strong field and it was a much better effort next time out at Doncaster over 3 miles when he ran in a close second to Harry The Viking who came 2nd in the 4 miler at Cheltenham three weeks ago.

Saint Are's next three starts proved fruitless but all of them were over 2 miles 5 furlongs at Cheltenham. I think he is better than those efforts but the track and trip were not suitable. He dropped out very quickly last time out in a listed race at the festival and Dickie Johnson gave him a very easy ride, so I'm hoping connections have him lined up for this tomorrow. This French 6 year old is still unexposed and is open to plenty of improvement back over a flat track. The yard have been in decent form recently and if Saint Are can improve for the conditions and step up in trip I think he has a live chance to go close in this contest.

Saint Are, 1 point win at 12/1 (SkyBet)
    Great shout man cheers :D

Oscar Whisky (+9 points) put up a fantastic effort to win the Aintree Hurdle for the second consecutive year. Rock On Ruby took them around as predicted and Barry Geraghty's mount cruised upsides him when they came off the bend. I do think Cheltenham left it's mark on him and he had to work hard to pass the Champion Hurdle winner. I thought he was beaten all the way in the last furlong by the grey but he really pulled a bit out to get up to win it by a short head. He showed a fantastic attitude and I'm looking forward to seeing him again next season.

Saint Are (+12 points) improved drastically back on a flat track and he really does just love Aintree. He got in close over a couple of fences and it looked like he was going to be headed coming over the last. Dougie Costello is as good as any jockey in a finish and he really rallied his mount to battle on valiantly up the inside rail to win by ½ a length. Tim Vaughan really had him lined up for this and it will be interesting to see what they do with him next year.

Chicago Grey (-1 point) seemed to well in touch but was brought down early on at the 5th fence.

Planet Of Sound (-1 point) gave Dickie Johnson a fantastic spin but he was ultimately left out front for too long. He really stood off a few and it was a very credible performance from this 10 year old before he he faded out of contention in the last half mile.

It was a really good end to the festival from a betting perspective but it was unfortunate that two horses passed away in the GN. That's how it goes sometimes but I'm looking forward to seeing what will be coming over for Punchestown.

Bank: 47.63 points (+27.63 points)

14:50 Ayr
    Petit Robin

Petit Robin has recently made his reappearance back on the track after a year long injury and I hope he has retained enough ability to land this Grade 2 contest.

Nicky Henderson's 9 year old always looked a decent animal, but he just fell short of Grade 1 class. He placed in the Tingle Creek, Victor Chandler Chase and the Queen Mother but is still quite unexposed over hurdles. His chase mark is 158 and I certainly think he has the potential to surpass his 145 hurdles rating, especially considering he has only run over those obstacles on 5 occasions.

Petit Robin ran a very credible race last time out in a class 2 handicap. He travelled like the winner down the stretch but just faded after the last which can be forgiven given his lack of fitness. I certainly think he will come on plenty from that run and the fact Barry Geraghty has taken the mount over Tetlami is encouraging. His front running style always leaves him vulnerable to something in behind but I think he has a couple of pounds on the field here. The ground seems tacky enough at Ayr but any bit of juice in it will only improve this French geldings chances. If Petit Robin can bounce back to his previous form I think he should have a big chance of landing this prize for connections.

Petit Robin, 2 points win at 8/1 (Boylesports)

15:25 Ayr
    Merigo

The Scottish Grand National has never been the most appealing race to me but the course specialist Merigo looks the perfect type to land this contest.

In 2010 Andrew Parker produced a masterclass training display to ensure this gelding landed this valuable contest for connections. His form was very poor for the following year and it seemed unlikely he would retain his title when he went off 15lbs higher for his previous years effort. However, Timmy Murphy got a fantastic spin off his mount and went in a ¾ length second.

Remarkably this 11 year old didn't win a race since until his most reappearance back on Hibernian soil. That was over 3 miles on unsuitable heavy ground, but he put up a fantastic effort 6 weeks ago to battle on valiantly to get up on the line. That effort should have him nicely preped for his third consecutive effort in this contest and he is fantastically well handicapped, running off 134. He is 11 now but didn't show any signs of deterioration last time out and has a very decent chance to be competitive again in my opinion. Timmy Murphy is fantastic at getting a horse into a rhythm and is the perfect combination for this gelding. Last years contest was a far more competitive fair and I would be having a max bet here if it wasn't for the big field. Merigo doesn't owe connections anything but he is too well handicapped here, and by all accounts is definitely the one they have to beat back over his favoured conditions.

Merigo, 2 points win at 15/2 (Paddy Power)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

well done huntley stuck a tenner on Merigo very nice win

Petit Robin (-2 points) never threatened and faded tamely out of contention when the screw was turned. He hit one hurdle down the back and never responded to the urgings of Barry Geraghty. He was eased home and I think he could be at the stage where he needs a decent bit of cut in the ground to show his best form.

I really should have had that max bet on Merigo (+15 points) that I was considering. He absolutely loved it back on his favourite hunting ground today and showed tremendous heart and courage to land this contest for a second time. I thought he was feeling the pinch down the back but he didn't give an inch and got up to win on the line by a short head. Timmy Murphy is fantastic for getting an animal into a rhythm but he got a fantastic spin here and it was nice to see a small enough yard land a big pot.

Hopefully it will be a profitable tilt at Punchestown to wrap things up for the season.

Bank: 60.63 points (+40.63 points)

18:40, Punchestown, Tuesday 24th April
    Mossey Joe

Mossey Joe is a horse who has plenty of ability and looks the type to have enough scope to land this Grade 1 novice chase.

I saw this horse in Willie Austin's place a few years ago and he was a character to say the least. He is 9 years of age now but is very lightly raced, and has only been on a track on 7 occasions. He showed some very promising form last year when he placed in a competitive Grade 2 hurdle at Punchestown last Spring, a race which I highly regard and was won by the recent log winner Askanna. He followed that up with two very impressive wins in Killarney and Mallow, and looked set for a hat trick of victories when he was galloping all over the field at Down Royal in late May. He was very unlucky that day when he slipped up after jumping a fence and trailed in a distant 5th.

Mossey Joe hasn't been seen since that effort and I would be worried about how fresh he is. He tends to take a keen hold in his races but his freshness may work to his advantage against horses who have had long campaigns. Declan McNamara trains this chestnut gelding now and the horse has had a breathing operation since he has been off, which may help him to settle better aswell. He absolutely loves quick ground and will relish the step up to 3 miles and 1 furlong. Barry Geraghty looks set to get the leg up and he seems well suited to the animal and lets him run his own race. There is no doubting that Sir Des Champs looked a Gold Cup contender when he won the Jewson, but that effort may have taken the edge off him at this stage of the season. First Lieutenant is an animal who needs a break between races and I certainly wouldn't back him after his monumental effort in the RSA. I think the 14's on offer is a massive price and you will be lucky to see half of that available come Tuesday. It will be a big ask to win this first time, especially if the favourite is on song, so I will be having an each way punt in the hope that he can go close for his deserving connections. Mossey Joe does have a mind of his own however but I'm hoping that he has grown up a little more in which case he has every chance to get competitive.

Mossey Joe, 2 points e/w at 14/1 (Paddy Power)

17:30, Punchestown, Wednesday 25th April
    Captain Chris

The Punchestown Gold Cup is prone to throwing up a surprise but with Philip Hobbs's yard coming into form I am going to go for one of the market leaders here.

Captain Chris has had a problematic season, much like the Hobbs yard as a whole. After winning the Arkle last year he was expected to be a major player in the staying divisions this year. His seasonal reappearance in the Haldon Cup looked to be going to plan until the last, when Dickie Johnson decided to test out his aerobic skills and unseated after the last. The horse did nothing wrong that day and an unfortunate setback before the King George put his season into limbo. He went straight to Kempton at Christmas and looked beaten after half a circuit. He hit every fence that day and almost ran out at one bend, but stayed on valiantly to get into the money. He was well beaten by all accounts but it was a promising effort considering he went there with little to no preparation.

Unfortunately Captain Chris didn't improve for that effort and ran no sort of race in the Argento. He jumped violently right that day and was sensibly pulled up after only travelling a mile. He was sent over showjumps afterwards and underwent extensive physio to determine what was ailing him. Connections decided that the Ryanair would suit more than the Gold Cup and he ran in a very credible 6 length 4th nearly 6 weeks ago. His jumping was much improved and he stayed every yard up the stiff incline to the winning post which was encouraging.

The Manor House have finally come into a purple patch and their horses have been running exceptionally well for the last two weeks. It is widely regarded that Captain Chris is better going right handed and I think the likely good ground on a flat track will suit. He has the scope to improve for the step up to 3 miles with an uninterrupted prep and certainly is the class horse in the race to me. Quito De La Rouqe is the current favourite but I wouldn't take a punt on him if he was 20/1. It isn't often I would call a winner of two Grade 1's a pig but he is, and doesn't possess anywhere near the speed to win this contest. Quel Esprit is a decent animal but I don't think he is seen to his best over 3 miles, and his Hennessy win looks very average. Rubi Light won't stay the trip and the rest of the field isn't overly daunting by any means. I do think Realt Dubh is overpriced at 20's but he is a delicate animal and it simply isn't known whether he will really see out the 3 miles. I think a couple of this field will come out so I'm taking the price now, and would be surprised if Dickie Johnson's mount wasn't contesting favouritism before the off. It is a risk whether this 8 year old will show up in form on the day but it is the first time he has had an uninterrupted preparation all season. I'm very hopeful that Captain Chris can put in a solid effort on favourable conditions and definitely has the scope and ability to land his first Grade 1 in open company.

Captain Chris, 3 points win at 5/1 (Paddy Power)

• Advertisement

I will try to get on during the week to put a few more selections up but the ground has gone totally against Mossey Joe and Captain Chris and I wouldn't be surprised if neither lined up.

17:30, Punchestown
    Realt Dubh

The Gold Cup on Wednesday was the initial aim for Realt Dubh but with the conditions changing it is a possibility that he will line up tomorrow in the Irish Champion Chase depending on how things pan out tonight.

Derek Sharkey's 8 year old had a fantastic novice season last year when kick started it with an impressive victory over the New Zealand bred Sweeps Hill. After falling in a Grade 3 contest when going well he bounced back to form when winning the Grade 2 Craddockstown in November 2010. He was well held in the Drinmore next time out when the subsequent RSA 2nd Jessie's Dream beat him well by 5 lengths. Realt Dubh's next two outings came in Grade 1 contests on testing conditions over 2 miles, and he won both beating off Paul Nolan's Noble Prince consecutively. That horse, who is coincidentally owned by Derek Sharkey's father Des, franked the form when he won the Jewson in March 2011.

It was always known that the horse is better on good ground and it was an impressive effort to finish third in the Arkle, despite seemingly being outpaced. A step up in trip for the Fairyhouse Gold Cup proved decisive when he ran out an 11 length over the decent yardstick Loosen My Load. Realt Dubh was then narrowly beaten in the Ryanair Novice at Punchestown by the Arkle winner Captain Chris, but it certainly didn't put any dampener on an amazing season for connections.

An injury since put this year on the backburner for this 8 year old until he reappeared at Cheltenham 6 weeks ago. He was never going to be suited by the Champion Chase trip but was certainly entitled to take his chance given the lack of competition for place money. He was outpaced fairly quickly in that contest but Paul Carberry sensibly let him do his own thing and he shouldn't feel the effects of that effort. Noel Meade's gelding's prime trip is 2 and a half miles, but unfortunately there is no race of that stature at Punchestown. I would be very dubious whether he would stay 3m 1f on testing ground and think that the 2 mile contest would suit more under the conditions. He would prefer better going but acts on anything and his staying power will certainly be an advantage over the genuine 2 milers. Sizing Europe is the best animal in the race but he never seems to perform to his best at this stage of the season and he is certainly oppossable at the price. Paul Carberry will get a fantastic spin off Realt Dubh anyway and I will settle for him to come back in one piece, because he will be a serious Ryanair contender next season if he stays sound.

Realt Dubh, 1 point win at 16/1 (Boylesports)

Advertisement