Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hunter Gatherer

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭ft9

You going to put up a few for Galway Huntley?

Could be some surprises this year with the forecast soft ground.

Cheltenham the weekend Huntley....

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Huntley

Hello ft,

Apologies about the lack of response I don't log in much anymore. I have been quite busy the past few months/at the moment so haven't really had the time for write ups. I will try to get a few selections up in the coming weeks. I'm intrigued to see what price I might be getting about the beast in 3 weeks though, I hope you haven't been swayed by this Sanctuaire bubble that is about to burst! Hope all is well anyway.

4/9 about Sprinter. Not worried about Sanctuaire in the slightest.

I'm liking the 5/1 about Grandouet for the fighting fifth.

ft9 wrote: »
    4/9 about Sprinter. Not worried about Sanctuaire in the slightest.

I'm liking the 5/1 about Grandouet for the fighting fifth.

I was hoping to see 4/6 to be honest, can see that price going out a bit closer to the time.

Grandouet is an absolute beast, I'm genuinely excited to see how he has progressed. Personally, I think he is the Champion Hurdler.

• Advertisement

Huntley wrote: »
    14:30 Aintree
    Silviniaco Conti

This 5 runner Grade 2 novice chase tomorrow looks the perfect race for the Paul Nicholls trained Silviniaco Conti and I will be having my first max bet of the thread as a result.

Silviniaco Conti has always been highly regarded by connections after winning two Grade 2 contests last season over hurdles. He has taken well to fences although hasn't really fulfilled the potential that I think he can over timber. His seasonal pipe opener was a decent effort when he finished a 4½ length third behind Cue Card and Michael Flips. That from has been franked throughout the season but he was expected to improve for the run and he duly obliged when winning next time out in a Grade 2. He routed an average field that day by 25 lengths at Wincanton but it was the manner of his jumping and high cruising speed which really caught my eye.

It was widely regarded that the horse was always better going right handed and many felt he had a massive chance in the Feltham at Kempton. After jumping sketchily at the start he warmed to his task and looked to be going well coming off the back. The high cruising Grands Crus had him off the bridle in the straight though and after looking like he was going to be well beaten he battled on valiantly to the line to finish a 2¼ length second. That was probably more to do with Grands Crus inability to see out 3 miles but it was a promising enough effort anyway considering he had Bob's Worth held behind.

The Grade 2 Reynoldstown was the next port of call for this Fench gelding and he was well supported into 11/10 on the exchanges. Unfortunately he couldn't justify favouritism and was well beaten, so much so that something seemed a miss. It was later reported that there was a mild equine flu floating around Ditcheat at the time so I can certainly forgive him that effort.

Connections decided to keep this 6 year old away from Cheltenham and he has been aimed at this race tomorrow. Champion Court ran a blinder in the Jewson but I would have massive reservations about the consequences of that effort and I'm not totally convinced he sees out 3 miles. Join Together simply needs more testing conditions and Solix looks like he has plenty to find after a poor effort at Cheltenham. The flat track will suit Silviniaco Conti tomorrow and I think he should have the beating of this field if Nicholls has him in top condition. The fact he has been prepared for this race is a massive advantage and any juice that gets into the ground will only improve his chances. There is very little in it on ratings but I think he is slightly overpriced and am hoping with conditions to suit he will land another Grade 2 novice chase for connections.

Silviniaco Conti, 4 points win at 7/4 (Boylesports)

I haven't time for a write up as such but here is a previous one I did of Silviniaco Conti when he won in Aintree last April. He since won his opener in the Charlie Hall impressively despite running away from a bunch of goats.

I really think he is a cracking for the Betfair this Saturday, and will relish the conditions. Haydock is a very sharp track and the ground shouldn't pose any problems for this 6 year old. I'm not convinced about Long Run after disappointing last season and I don't think he wants these conditions first time up.

Silviniaco Conti already has a run under his belt and I think this will stand to him amongst this field. He has a high cruising speed and I think that along with his jumping will make him a serious player in this contest.

Silviniaco Conti, 4 points at 9/4

Huntley wrote: »
    I haven't time for a write up as such but here is a previous one I did of Silviniaco Conti when he won in Aintree last April. He since won his opener in the Charlie Hall impressively despite running away from a bunch of goats.

I really think he is a cracking for the Betfair this Saturday, and will relish the conditions. Haydock is a very sharp track and the ground shouldn't pose any problems for this 6 year old. I'm not convinced about Long Run after disappointing last season and I don't think he wants these conditions first time up.

Silviniaco Conti already has a run under his belt and I think this will stand to him amongst this field. He has a high cruising speed and I think that along with his jumping will make him a serious player in this contest.

Silviniaco Conti, 4 points at 9/4

Silviniaco Conti won very well indeed after being forced to make all. I thought it was a decent effort but was a little perplexed that Nicholls stated a desire to keep him for the Gold Cup. I don't think he is suited by Cheltenham at all and should really be aimed at the King George and then onto Aintree.

I'm not sure what that does for the thread profit as a whole but I might start another one for this season soon.

The 2½ mile Aintree Hurdle has been a kind betting contest for me over the years and I’m hoping that continues tomorrow. Despite his success for this thread and me, Grandouet surprisingly hasn’t landed a Grade 1 out of novice company to date. His Bula victory in 2011 could have been a Grade 1 contest by all accounts, as could be said of this season’s renewal, but until he has it on paper there will be detractors using it as a mark against his ability.

After sustaining some tendon damage last season connections coyly decided to leave him off the track to further enhance his development. He didn’t see a racetrack again until returning to defend his Bula crown last December. The conditions were dreadful that day, and the horse simply didn’t have the platform to show his best form on the testing ground. After travelling strongly through the race as always he was tapped for toe at the bottom of the hill for a few strides and never looked the winner. However, Barry Geraghty's mount never wilted that day and battled on gallantly up the hill going down by 2 lengths to the dour stayer Zarkandar, who was in receipt of 4lbs. It was a pleasing return to the track all things considered and there seemed to be more improvement to come.

Grandouet is a typical French horse, a buzzy 6 year old who simply doesn’t want to be holed up in his box for too long. He has unsuccessfully attempted to become a gymnast at times when he is bored and isn’t immune to picking up minor injuries. Some filling (fluid) in his leg affected his preparations this year and ultimately led to more question marks about his well being. The trainer said he chose not to run him in Kelso and Wincanton because of the ground, a stance that he took with the majority of his other stable stars. Regardless of that, and despite some frenzy on the exchanges 5 days prior, Simon Munir’s 6 year old lined up in the Champion Hurdle over 3 weeks ago.

Unfortunately Grandouet hit the turf 4 flights from home with a clumsy mistake. He was travelling ominously well at that stage as would have been expected so it isn’t fair to suggest what would have happened. The jockey and trainer were expecting him to do something “special” and were undoubtedly disappointed. It is also worth noting that the connections of Hurricane Fly, the subsequent winner, feared Grandouet most. Willie Mullins later claimed that his horse needed some good fortune during the race and got it, referring to the Henderson runner coming to grief. In any case the horse was well afterwards and lines up tomorrow in good health.

Nicky Henderson has reported that Grandouet worked wonderfully when schooling earlier in the week and they are very hopeful of a big performance. He never screamed like an animal that wanted 2½ miles and has had a tendency to be keen in the past. However, I believe that his recent spin will have taken that buzzy edge off him and if he settles I think the trip shouldn’t pose any major problems, despite being an unknown. He is a little stupid in the sense of he simply wants to run as fast as possible all the time and his recent fall was a case of that, an unfocused gaze into the sky. Barry Geraghty has curbed that enthusiasm in the past and will need to do so again tomorrow if he is to land the spoils. I wouldn’t go as far to say that it was a blessing in disguise coming down in the Champion Hurdle, as no prize equals that over hurdles, although he didn’t get into the grueling depths of the race that others did. Zarkandar and Countrywide Flame are two horses who he opposes tomorrow again and I would question their well being, as many horses have suffered at this meeting after taxing efforts around Prestbury Park. The New One looks a nice animal although I’m not a big advocate of novices stepping outside their comfort zone, especially after a well campaigned season that he has had. Oscar Whisky duly obliged last year for me when landing a max stake bet but his preparation has been acutely different this year. I maintained that he wasn’t a 3 miler ever since connections ushered the word and he hasn’t run with great enthusiasm this year. His World Hurdle effort was tame at best and for whatever reason he seems to be lacking that edge for me.

Due to the unknown over the trip I can’t advise a max bet on this black beast, but I’m very confident that he is the best horse in the race tomorrow. I have no doubt that there is more potential to come from him, and he possess the ability to be a 170 hurdler. The ground will be as good as we have seen all season and back on a flat track make no mistake that the turbos will be in full flow once the pilot gives the go ahead. It is a long straight at Aintree with three hurdles so Barry wouldn’t want to be giving this French gelding much rein until late, but I have every confidence that he can do that.

Grandouet, 3 points win at 9/2

Grandouet (-3 points) wasn't even a contender at the business end of things. He didn't stay the trip after travelling well but it was a poor enough effort, I presume he won't be jumping a hurdle again and can't say I want him to.

Advertisement